Theft of blue badges - the answer...

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    50Twuncle, if you really do have walking difficulties, take it up with your GP, who could help you to qualify for a Blue Badge. That would be a better plan than posting here with your anger at people who do not deserve it.

Did you read the thread? or just sim it?
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I use a blue badge - so am I being selfish to myself ?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    Once again there are people taking out their opinions about who should be registered disabled, based on appearances. No one posting here has X-Ray vision and no one here is so experienced in medicine that they can tell who is, or is not, disabled. There are many forms of disability and many reasons for disability. I do not believe that elderly people are seen "running from their cars", for instance. What a lurid turn of phrase. I have one very visible disability and 2 more that are not visible. Any of the latter 2 would qualify me for a BB.

As for those who regularly park in Blue Badge spaces, I had acure for one of those. A blonde fiftyish woman drove across me to park in the last BB space, in a huge Porsche Cayenne 4X4. I drove across the front of her car, parked, got out, fetched my crutch and locked the car. "Where are you going?" she asked "I won't get out!" "I know," I answered " I am going to the Town Hall to report someone parked illegally in a BB space."

I was answered with a torrent of abusive language, including the information that, if I could move my ******* car, she would move her ******* car, and further, I was several kinds of (Anglo-Saxon expletive)

I informed her that she could really do with improvements to her attitude and limited vocabulary, and moved my car. She left.

50Twuncle, if you really do have walking difficulties, take it up with your GP, who could help you to qualify for a Blue Badge. That would be a better plan than posting here with your anger at people who do not deserve it.

I have a blue badge already which I find extremely useful - thank you.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Exactly - the only "constant" is the vehicle itself !

But it's not constant at all. The only constant is the disabled driver/passenger.

A clamp down on badges being used without the owner being in the vehicle would solve it. Currently that means having a warden wait for the passengers to return to the vehicle, or referring to CCTV footage (i.e. badge is registered to an 80-year old woman with mobility issues but the young male driver is the only one seen getting out).

Ramping up the penalties for letting someone else use the badge (if not reported stolen) would crack down on it as well. Ideally confiscation of the badge if theft proceedings aren't filed against the abuser.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,207 Forumite
    As a deterrent because thieves know that there is no way that they can be caught at the moment

The ID could be tied in to the number plate
    There are approx 2.5 Million blue badges currently issued in UK - With around 3000 being stolen every year (numbers increasing due to "value" - a mobile phone could be converted to read chips - so a cheap solution is readily available

So for every 1,000 badges, one is stolen. That hardly even qualifies as a problem, let alone one worth spending money on.
  • Herzlos wrote: »
    But it's not constant at all. The only constant is the disabled driver/passenger.

A clamp down on badges being used without the owner being in the vehicle would solve it. Currently that means having a warden wait for the passengers to return to the vehicle, or referring to CCTV footage (i.e. badge is registered to an 80-year old woman with mobility issues but the young male driver is the only one seen getting out).

Ramping up the penalties for letting someone else use the badge (if not reported stolen) would crack down on it as well. Ideally confiscation of the badge if theft proceedings aren't filed against the abuser.

Unfortunately that would never work in reality as you'd need proof that the badge holder didn't get out or get in the car. My wife has a blue card and it always grates when you see cars parked up without one. Mums with kids seem to believe they can use them with impunity as well which winds me up.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Unfortunately that would never work in reality as you'd need proof that the badge holder didn't get out or get in the car. My wife has a blue card and it always grates when you see cars parked up without one. Mums with kids seem to believe they can use them with impunity as well which winds me up.

What, the space or the badge?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Car_54 wrote: »
    So for every 1,000 badges, one is stolen. That hardly even qualifies as a problem, let alone one worth spending money on.

Country wide probably not but 3000 thefts in one area would suggest a problem.
  • Johno100 wrote: »
    What, the space or the badge?

The space. (obviously?)
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,683 Forumite
    Unfortunately that would never work in reality as you'd need proof that the badge holder didn't get out or get in the car.

It's certainly an uphill issue, but you can certainly get evidence of people not getting in or out, via some targeted effort.

i.e. hire some council wardens to spend a few days observing bays and spot checking people that aren't obviously the person on the badge.

Currently there's almost no risk to getting caught, but a few days of targetted effort in a few car parks would put a lot of badge abusers off, whilst costing relatively little.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Car_54 wrote: »
    A similar ratio to the numbers of cars stolen annually in the UK - and people would complain if the police took that attitude...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure