Plusnet "installation"

Having a nightmare with my new Plusnet broadband installation. We've just moved in to our new house and obviously wanted to get the internet on as soon as possible. The engineer was booked to come yesterday morning while I was at work and my wife was there to let him in. The house previously had a Virgin Media installation behind the television so I pulled the unit out so that the engineer could see if he could use the same line or if not put the new line in there. It's in the middle of where we use the internet so it's the best place for it (hence the Virgin Media line being there). Anyway, I came home from work to find the engineer had found an old BT line in the hallway and installed it there. It's right in the far corner of the house so it's the worst place in terms of a Wi-Fi signal, but the biggest problem is there are no power sockets nearby. I've had to trail a 5m extension cable through the house to test it works. It can't stay like that as it's a trip hazard for my 3 year old. I rang to complain and was told that I either had to pay for a BT engineer to come and fit another line (at a cost of £120 (after I’ve already paid £60 for the last installation)), or I had to install a new power socket under the router, or I could use my 14 day cooling off period to cancel my Plusnet account, but would have to then pay their activation charge. It seems that Plusnet have no control over the installations they instigate, BT engineers don’t care if you can power your router or not, and that if they do a bad job then I’m the one to pay for it. Be warned.

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you want the master socket moved, or a new line, those are separate charges and £120 sounds about right based on the wholesale pricing.

Sounds like you paid for an existing disused line to be activated.

ISPs have limited control over installations, what they do is book the product / service the customer needs through BT wholesale who then send Openreach to do the work.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    One thing I cannot understand is if your wife was there why did she not tell he engineer where you wanted the master socket installed, then they could have either re-routed or extended the existing old line or fitted a new line if that was necessary.
  • Yorksboy
    Yorksboy Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Have a look at this website;

https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357-moving-bt-infinity-dsl-from-master-socket-to-any-household-extension-socket

This explains how you can fit your own "Master Socket" in your chosen location. As you only need to use telephone style cable this is easily hidden.
  • Thanks for your replies. Some helpful stuff there. Honestly I don't know if it is a master socket or not as there are no other BT sockets in the house and there wasn't even that one yesterday morning. You don't get options when you book an installation so the choice of moving a master socket never came up. My wife is not technical and beyond telling the engineer that we wanted it behind the television she deferred to the expert. He found the line and told her it had to go there. I would have pressed my case had i been there but unfortunately work comes first. It's very disappointing that when someone comes to your house to fit a line for broadband, they are happy to leave it knowing it can't be used for that purpose. I'll have to finish the installation myself, I suppose. But if anyone is looking for an ISP bear on mind thst the engineers may not work with your best interests at heart and Plusnet (probably talktalk too) won't help after.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I had a similar issue with OR the other year. I found that unlimited cups of tea and chocolate HobNobs seem to produce the desired result!

It probably depends on how amenable the OR engineer is!:)
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,053 Forumite
    BitByBit wrote: »
    But if anyone is looking for an ISP bear on mind thst the engineers may not work with your best interests at heart and Plusnet (probably talktalk too) won't help after.
    The "engineer" was almost certainly working for (or contracted to) Openreach and so it would make no difference who the ISP was, the result would have been the same.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 10:36PM
    The house previously had a Virgin Media installation behind the television so I pulled the unit out so that the engineer could see if he could use the same line or if not put the new line in there.

They can't use the same line, only virgin can use virgin lines.
    Anyway, I came home from work to find the engineer had found an old BT line in the hallway and installed it there.

That is what I'd expect. BT will usually put the master socket as close to where the cable enters the premises as possible. It saves them a lot of money, especially the "but you can't possibly leave it like that, you'll have to redecorate my house because of what your engineers have done".

Legally you can't move a master socket. If you're on ADSL then a phone extension tacked along the skirting board will do it, although it will possibly reduce the speed. I don't think Fibre likes extensions though
  • It's a bit surprising how intransigent they are about it. When i had virgin they asked me where i wanted he router to be sited. When I had Sky, the same. With these it's just: 'it goes here even though it's totally impractical'. It's put me off any company that uses OpenReach or BT phone lines.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    phillw wrote: »
    I don't think Fibre likes extensions though

You mean VDSL2, not fibre right?
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    It's put me off any company that uses OpenReach or BT phone lines.
    That's almost all ADSL VDSL broadband then unless you live in Hull and then it's Kingston.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure