OH is struggling

Over the last 2/3 years, we have lost quite a few friends and family, and most have them have been on my side. The OH has been an absolute rock through all of this and handled everything incredibly well. Our best friends are another couple, who have been my OH's best friends since school, and were kind enough to welcome me with open arms. We go out socially together a couple of times a month, call in on each other frequently, and have been on holiday together a few times. They're a great couple.
The man of the couple, I'll call him George, has had a few minor health problems, and he's gone through a few tests. They came round on Monday on their way back from hospital and told us that George has cancer, which is treatable, but not curable. He's due to have the first surgery next week. This was a curve ball, as cancer has not previously been mentioned at any point.
George has suggested that we all go away for the weekend, as he wants to do normal things and try to forget what is going on. We went ahead and booked it there and then. When they left, the OH took himself for a soak in the bath, and I didn't think anything of it. For the rest of the week, he's been terrible. He won't talk about the situation. He won't talk to George. Twice George has called, and the OH has asked me to tell him that he's stuck at work. This morning he's decided that he's got a sore throat, and a cough, which is moving on to his chest, and it wouldn't be a good idea to expose George to it, with an operation coming up.
I know he's struggling with this, and the news has floored him. I appreciate that everyone has a breaking point, and this must be his, but how do I help? I've no idea what to do. :(

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tell him how you've realised how lucky you both are to be in good health. Suggest that you owe it to yourselves to make the best of your lives given the present opportunity you have when compared to others. No point in feeling guilty about anything, get out there and enjoy it, while you can.
    Or to put it another way, you make the best of the cards you are dealt, you don't just throw away a good hand and curl up in the corner.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    As somebody with terminal cancer, it's a response I've seen from a minority of friends since sharing my news. I understand it.

For now, my life is still of a good quality and despite some bone damage I've remained fairly normal. Fairly mobile. But I know I'm in decline.

The best thing others can do for me is carry on as normal, spend a little time with me when available and try to come to terms with the inevitable outcome however difficult that may be.

Ultimately, distancing a good friend will only lead to regret later.

How you get your OH to understand this, I don't know. Perhaps show him my words.

What I do know is that as I've exhausted various wonder drugs I've been a lot tireder. Maximising my opportunities for holidays and being with people in my post-diagnosis aftermath was the best thing I could have done. Now that I'm on treatment four within eighteen months it's a lot tougher.

I hope that helps.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Tell him how you've realised how lucky you both are to be in good health. Suggest that you owe it to yourselves to make the best of your lives given the present opportunity you have when compared to others. No point in feeling guilty about anything, get out there and enjoy it, while you can.
    Or to put it another way, you make the best of the cards you are dealt, you don't just throw away a good hand and curl up in the corner.

Great post there
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As somebody with terminal cancer, it's a response I've seen from a minority of friends since sharing my news. I understand it.

For now, my life is still of a good quality and despite some bone damage I've remained fairly normal. Fairly mobile. But I know I'm in decline.

The best thing others can do for me is carry on as normal, spend a little time with me when available and try to come to terms with the inevitable outcome however difficult that may be.

How you get your OH to understand this, I don't know. Perhaps show him my words.

What I do know is that as I've exhausted various wonder drugs I've been a lot tireder. Maximising my opportunities for holidays and being with people in my post-diagnosis aftermath was the best thing I could have done. Now that I'm on treatment four within eighteen months it's a lot tougher.

I hope that helps.

Brave post there
  • JayJay100
    JayJay100 Posts: 249 Forumite
    mgdavid wrote: »

This is the approach I've tried, but it's falling on deaf ears at the moment. I think that part of the problem for me, is that I never expected him to behave this way; I always thought that he was the strong one, that got everyone else through tough times. Not so in this case.

I hope that helps.

This is an incredible post, and thank you. I'm more determined than ever to keep things as normal as possible, and to be there for George, no matter what. George with cancer is still George. I think I will still go away with our friends, and leave the OH to make his own mind up. Hopefully, he just needs a bit of time to work things through, and find a way of dealing with it.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    svain wrote: »
    Brave post there

Couldn't agree more. Fantastic post.

OP. It may be a matter of giving your OH a bit of time to get his head round it.

A few years ago my best male friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer. It hit every one hard - especially as he was the one of us you would have been the most surprised to get it. Doesn't smoke, eats healthily takes a lot of exercise etc.

I was the opposite to your husband. I just wanted to see him (we live a distance away) but he is very self sufficient and resisted attempts at visits. But we sorted it. I was so gobsmacked that I was a little out of kilter for a while. It may be that is what has happened to your husband and once he has processed it he will be back on an even keel.

I wish all of you, especially George, the very best.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2018 at 6:20PM
    George with cancer is still George
    The wisest of words.
    Brave post there
    More pragmatic acceptance of a grim reality.

I quit work when offered redundancy. Travelled until they stopped me flying. Caught up with long lost friends and made a point of becoming a lad who lunches most days.

Most people diagnosed with stage four lung cancer at the same time are now dead. I'll hang on happy as long as I can but the odds of a long survival are massively against me. Making the most of what I've got are what it's all about now.

For what it's worth, I've never smoked.
  • JayJay100
    JayJay100 Posts: 249 Forumite
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Fantastic post.

OP. It may be a matter of giving your OH a bit of time to get his head round it.

A few years ago my best male friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer. It hit every one hard - especially as he was the one of us you would have been the most surprised to get it. Doesn't smoke, eats healthily takes a lot of exercise etc.

I was the opposite to your husband. I just wanted to see him (we live a distance away) but he is very self sufficient and resisted attempts at visits. But we sorted it. I was so gobsmacked that I was a little out of kilter for a while. It may be that is what has happened to your husband and once he has processed it he will be back on an even keel.

I wish all of you, especially George, the very best.

It's a similar situation for us; George is the one that eats sensibly, does a lot of sport, rarely drinks and has never smoked. He looks so fit and healthy, it all feels a bit surreal.

I thought my other half would be like you. I thought he would want to see him all of the time, and that he'd do anything he could to help. I remember when my friend sent me a picture of her swollen arm, after chemo. He had my coat in his hand before I'd got off the phone, and we spent the entire night at the hospital with her; he was so patient and sensible, when we were both panicking and a bit useless.

I hope you're right, and it's just that he's out of kilter.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2018 at 6:33PM
    The wisest of words.

More pragmatic acceptance of a grim reality.

I quit work when offered redundancy. Travelled until they stopped me flying. Caught up with long lost friends and made a point of becoming a lad who lunches most days.

Most people diagnosed with stage four lung cancer at the same time are now dead. I'll hang on happy as long as I can but the odds of a long survival are massively against me. Making the most of what I've got are what it's all about now.

For what it's worth, I've never smoked.

As a widower when in my 40's i have seen how this scenario is dealt with by the person and the people around them.

Personally, i had no time for anyone that "struggled" dealing with the prognosis (my wife herself and immediate family excluding). I have little tolerance for people that made it about them, who wallowed in self-pity and preferred they stayed away. Positive people who interacted normally was what my wife welcomed and looked forward to. Was great for her own motivation to battle on as long as she could.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JayJay100 wrote: »
    It's a similar situation for us; George is the one that eats sensibly, does a lot of sport, rarely drinks and has never smoked. He looks so fit and healthy, it all feels a bit surreal.

I

That adds to the shock. It did with my friend.

I think a lot of us are better at helping others than dealing with problems that impact directly on ourselves. I certainly am. I do quite a lot of advising and I can say things (the right things) that I know I'd have difficulty with if the roles were reversed.

You sound a great couple. I am lucky - my OH is sorted and down to earth - before her the same was/is true of my best friend and they've encouraged me to open up and talk about it. Perhaps, when the first shock is over for your husband the same may work with you two. There will come a time when he will want to start discussing it with someone

Genuinely. The best of luck with this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport