PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I buy this Maisonette?

Options

Comments

• melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can I just ask why a couple of people advise against buying a maisonette? the ones I have seen are in a block of 4 flats over 2 floors ie each 1 bed flat occupies one floor. What is the difference between this and a small block of flats?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    can I just ask why a couple of people advise against buying a maisonette? the ones I have seen are in a block of 4 flats over 2 floors ie each 1 bed flat occupies one floor. What is the difference between this and a small block of flats?
    There will always be people on MSE who advise against buying flats, or if someone is contemplating a semi, they will stress that detached is 'better.'

It's likely, that these people have had a bad time in accommodation with party walls/floors. They usually add they are speaking from experience, but they may forget that there are millions of people out there whose experiences in the same situations have been generally positive.

Because detached is more expensive, I was retired by the time I purchased a detached house. If I'd had a bad experience, it might have happened sooner, but I was happy with my neighbours in all the places I rented and bought over about 40 years.

Indeed, it was only when I bought the detached with some acres of 'buffer zone' around that I ran into my first neighbour conflict; now happily resolved.
  • greenhouse28
    Options
    Hi all, the tree report has come back and states that there is no risk to the property due to the tree. The tenant has been handed his 4 week notice so now it's just about waiting for him to move out and then we can exchange contracts. Thank you all for your advice and help!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good news hopefully. I hope you are using '4 weeks notice' as shorthand as I'd doubt whether they actually have a notice period of 4 weeks. If you have really been told 4 weeks then I would get your solicitor to check that the notice given is valid because you may find at the end of 4 weeks that the tenant has not been legally asked to leave and the time could start again.
  • greenhouse28
    Options
    I'm now having the estate agents tell me that the tenant has a 4 week notice period, but the seller is telling me it is an 8 week notice period. I have no idea if the tenant has actually been handed his notice now. Is buying a place usually like this?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Landlord!!!8217;s notice is usually two calendar months. Tenant!!!8217;s is usually one calendar month. It usually runs from a rent day.

Yes, there are always hoops to jump through. It!!!8217;s rarely easy.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    is it worth all this hassle and future potential hassle, for "a maisonette".... no.

What a rude comment to make.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is buying a place usually like this?
    It is if the landlord wants to screw every last penny out of the property, as stated in my earlier post.

And re-read the last part of that. Eight weeks is certainly not guaranteed.
  • greenhouse28
    Options
    The end of the tenants notice expires on the 25th April, does anyone know if things can be pushed forward if the tenant finds a new place and moves out early? Or will i be forced to wait until that date anyway? Thanks all!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Landlord and tenant can agree anything they like, so if tenant moves out earlier than yes the date can be brought forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure