my email wont change from IMAP to POP, help please

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Only saying as the OP had put POP in his post rather than POP3, which might have caused the issue. I will take your thanks as genuine but I suspect a small amount of sarcasm was involved.
    More than a small amount....But not malicious in any way....;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    RumRat wrote: »
    More than a small amount....But not malicious in any way....;)
    Rum ration started early this morning?? :beer:
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    In my opinion POP3 is way better than IMAP but each to their own, the reason I like it is for security reasons, you have the full email with email headers, these can be accessed years later, even if email is deleted from server

With IMAP all you have is a preview of what is on the server, if you delete a message on your phone or PC it is gone from server.

Surely this all depends on your settings though. I couldn't live without proper resynchronisation between multiple computers and mobile devices.

I understand what you are saying about deletions being synced across the board, but these only go into the deleted mail folder. So as long as you don't have the server set to automatically empty the deleted items you'd have to delete them twice.

There is also the option to send anything deleted in the mail client to a different folder on the server, rather than it be deleted.

And each of my mail clients downloads the whole email, not just the headers, and back ups all the email locally on a regular basis.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Only saying as the OP had put POP in his post rather than POP3, which might have caused the issue. I will take your thanks as genuine but I suspect a small amount of sarcasm was involved.
    Sarcasm beats bold any day.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Oops, missed the "fixed" bit :o however, the point is still worth checking for others in similar predicament, check your mail provider's settings - I bet they didn't start off on Port 995 incoming :D

grumpycrab wrote: »
    Sarcasm beats bold any day.

hmmm.... I concur ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Don't you need to create a new account and then copy across locally all the emails that were previously downloaded in IMAP?
    Also all emials on the server in folders will be lost as POP doesn't underan folders
    POP is POP3 by the way
  • happyhero
    happyhero Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    crghsam wrote: »
    Don't you need to create a new account and then copy across locally all the emails that were previously downloaded in IMAP?
    Also all emials on the server in folders will be lost as POP doesn't underan folders
    POP is POP3 by the way

Hmm interesting, I would say what you say is right but funny thing is whilst in my Increddimail account I deleted the IMAP account and then immediately created the new POP account the way I described and the old emails were there already......can't think why I didn't lose them unless having the same email address kept them, but they definitely dont dissapear in Incredimail as you delete accounts.

I'm tempted to leave Incredimail now, I've kept it like a bad habit but I did like they way I could organise my emails better than on the server in it, so now not sure what to go for, any ideas, someone suggested Thunderbird, is that a favourite now?
  • Shrimply
    edited 14 June 2017 at 11:24AM
    happyhero wrote: »
    I'm tempted to leave Incredimail now, I've kept it like a bad habit but I did like they way I could organise my emails better than on the server in it, so now not sure what to go for, any ideas, someone suggested Thunderbird, is that a favourite now?

Thunderbird is pretty great, and free, although it is highly customisable so can take a lot of getting used to.

I think as well you need to work out exactly what you want to do it and why. For example I think for what you are looking to do a sensible setup would be to use IMAP, then set Thunderbird to automatically move downloaded messages to a local folder on your computer (I'd also suggest copying these back onto a separate folder on your email server so that they are backed-up there too).

A program like Thunderbird is incredibly flexible so whatever you want to do is probably possible.
  • happyhero
    happyhero Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Shrimply wrote: »
    Thunderbird is pretty great, and free, although it is highly customisable so can take a lot of getting used to.

I think as well you need to work out exactly what you want to do it and why. For example I think for what you are looking to do a sensible setup would be to use IMAP, then set Thunderbird to automatically move downloaded messages to a local folder on your computer (I'd also suggest copying these back onto a separate folder on your email server so that they are backed-up there too).

A program like Thunderbird is incredibly flexible so whatever you want to do is probably possible.

I understand the basic difference between IMAP and POP3 i.e one emptys server and one leaves it on server which I can see would be an advantage for someone who accesses their emails from various places. But for me I only look at my emails on my home PC (I do have a google email too that I use for other stuff on my phone) and I like the way they download from my server emptying it and I then sought them out on my PC keeping what I want to keep for probably far longer than I need to.

I realise with POP3 I have no back up if my PC went wrong and that does now, since writing this post make me think, that may be a proble to worry about.

However you say Thunderbird is highly customisable so why wouldn't I stick with POP3 in Thunderbird and then upload the "to keep" stuff to a special folder on my server as you suggest?

In this way it would still empty my server Inbox as it loads my Thunderbird Inbox, like I have been doing up to now with Incredimail, I mean what is the benefit with this senario in using IMAP instead?
  • Shrimply
    happyhero wrote: »
    In this way it would still empty my server Inbox as it loads my Thunderbird Inbox, like I have been doing up to now with Incredimail, I mean what is the benefit with this senario in using IMAP instead?

The difference is that IMAP understands folders, so it's all one easy process. I personally think it's a more flexible option.

You could use POP3 but uploading back onto the server isn't going to be as easy.

Under the set-up I described Thunderbird would move the emails out of the inbox on your server, so as you want, you would have a clean inbox when you logged on online but by uploading to a separate folder, you can also access all your archived emails from anywhere, should you need to.

It is of course entirely up to you, and could be set-up using POP3, in this case you would probably want to set up the server to copy the emails to another folder to act as a back up, rather than Thunderbird.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure