Mondeo throttle lag

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Mk4 mondeo tdci.

When accelerating if you squeeze the accelerator too hard the car just revs for half a second or so before reacting and then going faster. It normally happens in 2nd and 3rd. Googling brings up some other issues with 'accelerator lag' , it's as if it's in neutral before finding the gear.

This is the first diesel I've owned so not sure if this is normal or not, it also has the 6 speed box so also getting used to that as well. I did do a bit of research and some suggested it may be supermarket fuel so when I filled it up yesterday I used bp as well as a bottle of redex in case the engine is a bit gunked.

Not a car person tbf so wanted a 2nd opinion before booking it in

Comments

• Sounds more like clutch slip. If it's not an auto there's no gears to 'find' if it's already in gear. Revs rising before acceleration suggests slip.
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So are you saying that the revs rise before the car speeds up, ie as if you had your clutch pressed in? How old is the car and how many miles has it done? to me if the revs rise but the car doesnt speed up straight away it sounds like a clutch problem.
  • marcarm
    It's a 58 with 116k on it.

It is a manual, just I've googled the problem and it seems that it happens to others but nobody has mentioned the clutch slipping.

The car is speeding up, but it seems as though there is a half second delay after using the throttle.

So change gear, use throttle, ending revs while the car is speeding up slower that you would expect, then it seems to find itself and then speeds up faster.

But if I have the car at higher revs before changing gear, then keep the higher revs when accelerating again it doesn't seem to do it, so that's what made me think it may be because it's a turbo diesel and I need to adjust my driving style, as my previous car was a non turbo petrol. We've not had the car long and this issue didn't seem to manifest itself on the test drive so that's what leads me to think it is me.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    marcarm wrote: »
    Mk4 mondeo tdci.

I did do a bit of research and some suggested it may be supermarket fuel ......

Where you buy the fuel will not matter, I have completed 90k miles in a 2.0diesel on supermarket fuel, hasn't missed a beat.

Paying for "premium" fuel is like paying for a credit score.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • What you describe are the early symptoms of a slipping clutch. It really is that straightforward.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    marcarm wrote: »
    It's a 58 with 116k on it.

It is a manual, just I've googled the problem and it seems that it happens to others but nobody has mentioned the clutch slipping.

The car is speeding up, but it seems as though there is a half second delay after using the throttle.

So change gear, use throttle, ending revs while the car is speeding up slower that you would expect, then it seems to find itself and then speeds up faster.

But if I have the car at higher revs before changing gear, then keep the higher revs when accelerating again it doesn't seem to do it, so that's what made me think it may be because it's a turbo diesel and I need to adjust my driving style, as my previous car was a non turbo petrol. We've not had the car long and this issue didn't seem to manifest itself on the test drive so that's what leads me to think it is me.

Sounds like turbo lag, would be worth cleaning up all sensors (throttle position, boost sensor, EGR valve etc) and see if that solves it.

Are you changing gear and hitting less than 1500-1700rpm when new gear is engaged? If so, you are labouring the engine too much and not capitalising on the torque provided by the engine.

Equally could be early signs of clutch slip...
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • marcarm
    mcpitman wrote: »
    Where you buy the fuel will not matter, I have completed 90k miles in a 2.0diesel on supermarket fuel, hasn't missed a beat.

Paying for "premium" fuel is like paying for a credit score.

That was my thought as well but when I filled up it was the same price so thought I'd give it a go.

I'll take it my my local garage and get the to have a drive of it and see what they say.

Take it it's a price job if it is the clutch?

Really annoyed as the car has been really well looked after, recently serviced and mot but guess they don't look at the clutch then. Having just bought the car and then having to drop some more money on getting the clutch replaced.................
  • mcpitman wrote: »
    Sounds like turbo lag, would be worth cleaning up all sensors (throttle position, boost sensor, EGR valve etc) and see if that solves it.

Are you changing gear and hitting less than 1500-1700rpm when new gear is engaged? If so, you are labouring the engine too much and not capitalising on the torque provided by the engine.

Turbo lag doesn't explain the engine RPM rising whilst vehicle speed doesn't increase, though.
  • marcarm
    mcpitman wrote: »

I'll have to look when I next go out in it but my thoughts were that it wasn't revved as much as it could be when changing gear, as well as it only really happening when trying to get up to speed quickly in 2nd and 3rd.

Will see what the garage say this is week.

The vehicle speed does increase, just not as much as one would expect. Problem is the vehicle is so much smoother than my last car you don't notice it speeding up as much without staring at the speedo, and I like to watch the road!
  • Check the clutch yourself.
    Drive car to a hill at 30mph. Put car in fifth and floor the throttle up the hill. IF revs rise and speed does not rise in line with engine RPM, THEN clutch is slipping, ELSE you have another fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure