Share Dealing Discussion Area

Comments

• fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have what may be a dumb question.

My husband bought 60 Northern Rock shares years and years ago. We since moved house and forgot to change the address with them.

Is it worth doing anything about these shares or are they worth nothing?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    I have what may be a dumb question.

My husband bought 60 Northern Rock shares years and years ago. We since moved house and forgot to change the address with them.

Is it worth doing anything about these shares or are they worth nothing?

I am afraid the shares are now worth nothing. The last Labour Government nationalised Northern Rock and (controversially) decided that its shareholders should not receive any compensation.
  • Noob Question:

I took part in a work share scheme which resulted in a certain balance of shares. I've since opted for redundancy which means I can no longer participate in that scheme. The options include keeping the shares but I need to set-up an account.

My intention is simply to "forget about" these shares; I do not want to actively trade.

From the article, I read that XO are the most no-frills and therefore least costly for an low activity account?

Your thoughts appreciated.

On the Instruction Form, the following text advises "A €60 fee will be charged for any <Company> custodian transfers....." Is there a way of avoiding this charge? eg-requesting the transfer from a different broker as opposed to instructing <Company> or have I misunderstood the implication there and the fee applies whenever a transfer is made out of the scheme?
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Sounds like you are stuck with that fee.
    If you want to forget about them, why not just sell them?
    My Bro-in-law had masses of RBS shares from working there all his life and forgetting about them cost him tens of thousands as a result of the credit crunch and the decimation of the RBS share price.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    robertoegg wrote: »
    On the Instruction Form, the following text advises "A €60 fee will be charged for any <Company> custodian transfers....." Is there a way of avoiding this charge?
    That could be the charge for moving from the current nominee account to a nominee of your choosing. What would they charge to issue you with a share certificate?
  • Vortigern wrote: »
    That could be the charge for moving from the current nominee account to a nominee of your choosing. What would they charge to issue you with a share certificate?

I'm not sure - I'll give them a call, thanks
  • Hi, please please can you help, it's driving me mad. I have a small amount (110) of Australian Computershare Ordinary Shares (electronic) and I am a UK resident. Ive contacted many UK companies (Aus's Computershare Investor Services says it has to be a UK broker) to see if they could sell these shares. Many companies haven't responded & others have asked for a minimum amount (£thousands) to be deposited first (eg Saxo) before they'll allow an account to be set up to transfer & sell the shares. Please please can someone help?
  • Maybe ask an Australian friend. I have great problems with Australian shares and I hope to never have to deal with them directly.
    If the company dual lists on LSE thats ideal, or if they get taken over you get a cheque etc
    halifax wrote:
    Pay less for your share dealing, 12:15 to 14:15 on 15th February
    on 15th February, you’ll have the chance to buy or sell UK shares for just £3.95 commission per trade. That’s a £8.55 reduction on the usual price of £12.50 – a 68% reduction.

It’ll be available for a two-hour window on 15th February, from 12:15 until 14:15. And we’re applying the same great offer to trades on international stocks between 08:00 and 21:00. So put a note in your diary now.
  • Sjbi
    Sjbi Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 10 February 2017 at 12:11PM
    Thanks sabretoothtigger :-) for your reply.
    I cannot see Computershare on the LSE :-( Does that mean is nigh impossible to sell them?

@sabretoothtigger Halifax & HSBC can't deal in Australian shares :(
  • @sabretoothtigger have you heard any reviews of tddirectinvesting.co.uk? they say they can sell australian shares.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback