Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    montyb41 wrote: »
    So cash is what the Missus wants, cash is what she'll get
    Ok fine, but why not take it from an ATM with your Starling card..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • montyb41
    montyb41 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 3:25PM
    eDicky wrote: »
    Ok fine, but why not take it from an ATM with your Starling card..?

Even Starling say you may be charged a fee by the ATM for the transaction! So why would I want to pay extra for money I can get fee free here.
    We are free to do what we want to do with cash & cards...you're happy with how you do it, we're happy with taking cash & cards.

I'm not after a discussion on what method you or others might or might not follow, BUT an answer to the question about Debenhams rate, .
    thanks.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Even Starling say you may be charged a fee by the ATM for the transaction! So why would I want to pay extra for money I can get fee free here.
    We are free to do what we want to do with cash & cards...you're happy with how you do it, we're happy with taking cash & cards.

I'm not after a discussion on what method you or others might or might not follow, BUT an answer to the question about Debenhams rate, .
    thanks.

If you don't want to discuss better methods, then you should write directly to the MSE team and not bother forum members. Forum members are not responsible for the link.

In general European ATM don't charge for taking cash. Starling have to state that the ATM can charge, because when an ATM does charge they blame Starling,
  • montyb41
    montyb41 Posts: 10 Forumite
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    If you don't want to discuss better methods, then you should write directly to the MSE team and not bother forum members. Forum members are not responsible for the link.

In general European ATM don't charge for taking cash. Starling have to state that the ATM can charge, because when an ATM does charge they blame Starling,

Sorry, I was of the view that MSE staff read the forum as well, plus if you read my 1st entry, I asked if other members had similar experience.

I would ask MSE staff directly, if I could find an email address for MSE that didn't say "we don't reply to emails sent to this inbox."

"better methods" - excuse me, BUT you do not know where we are going or what are our circumstances! We may be travelling to somewhere very rural where there aren't ATMs on every corner or a bank/bureau de change within a short drive, maybe we're staying somewhere where its easier to use cash than a card (card payment machines require an internet connection)! So while cards like a Starling account can/may be a good option in most circumstances, they are not always "better"!
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Sorry, I was of the view that MSE staff read the forum as well, plus if you read my 1st entry, I asked if other members had similar experience.

I would ask MSE staff directly, if I could find an email address for MSE that didn't say "we don't reply to emails sent to this inbox."

"better methods" - excuse me, BUT you do not know where we are going or what are our circumstances! We may be travelling to somewhere very rural where there aren't ATMs on every corner or a bank/bureau de change within a short drive, maybe we're staying somewhere where its easier to use cash than a card (card payment machines require an internet connection)! So while cards like a Starling account can/may be a good option in most circumstances, they are not always "better"!

I won't be excusing you. It doesn't matter where you are going as there will be ATM at any airport at which you arrive. So take cash out there for those times when you need cash in your 'rural location'.
    Some people just like to be difficult. You refuse to listen and just want to do what you want to do. Not caring about who you annoy.
    First you complain that Starling states that an ATM can charge you, "so why would you pay a fee when you can get money fee free" and now you state that you might be staying in a rural area with no ATMs.
    Well my friend, the rate that you will get from Debenhams or anywhere else in the UK(apart from certain ATMs) will not be fee-free. In addition, no one has stated that you will be charged by the ATM.

Much ado about nothing. If you don't like the rate you are offered. Find another or do without.

The MSE team don't read every thread. What are you thinking?. There are hundreds of them every day and ten of thousands of posts.
    Find another way to write to the MSE team. But it will be a waste of time and energy.
    My opinion? Don't waste your time and energy nor anyone else's. If you want to make your wife happy, what does it matter what rate you get? Just get them from wherever if it means that much.You are likely talking about pennies if it just to have cash in hand on arrival.
    If you are passing through Gatwick, you can take Euros from an ATM there.
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello all,

I'm travelling to Spain this weekend for a week and just trying to sort out what best to do for money. I have a solid credit rating so should be able to get a Metro Bank account to use while there.

But I've now realised that I need a credit card too (for car hire) and Metro Bank is the only option for getting one fast so I'll probably do that.

If I have a Metro Bank credit card, do I need the bank account too? Or would it be just as good to use the credit card for a week and then just pay it off as soon as I get back?

Thanks!
  • Hello all,

I'm travelling to Spain this weekend for a week and just trying to sort out what best to do for money. I have a solid credit rating so should be able to get a Metro Bank account to use while there.

But I've now realised that I need a credit card too (for car hire) and Metro Bank is the only option for getting one fast so I'll probably do that.

If I have a Metro Bank credit card, do I need the bank account too? Or would it be just as good to use the credit card for a week and then just pay it off as soon as I get back?

Thanks!

I think No to using a metro credit card overseas.
    Re MSE guide The metro card recommended for overseas spending is their Debit card not their Credit card.
    As you say you will probably need a credit card for car hire but if you reserve your car on the Internet before you go (which is probably the cheapest way to get a good deal anyway) you should be able to pay the hire fee up front in which case the credit card you present at the hire desk will only be held as their security and will not be charged unless you do uninsured damage to the car. So you can probably pay for all car hire with your UK money.
    PS I would suggest you apply for an overseas spend credit card (clarity card) well in time for your next trip[.
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think No to using a metro credit card overseas.
    Re MSE guide The metro card recommended for overseas spending is their Debit card not their Credit card.
    As you say you will probably need a credit card for car hire but if you reserve your car on the Internet before you go (which is probably the cheapest way to get a good deal anyway) you should be able to pay the hire fee up front in which case the credit card you present at the hire desk will only be held as their security and will not be charged unless you do uninsured damage to the car. So you can probably pay for all car hire with your UK money.
    PS I would suggest you apply for an overseas spend credit card (clarity card) well in time for your next trip[.

I'm already on it for the Clarity Card! I thought not having a credit card was a good thing, oh well...

I'm told that some car hire companies charge a large excess and take that upfront from the credit card, refunding it when you return the car...
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 August 2018 at 2:36PM
    I'm already on it for the Clarity Card! I thought not having a credit card was a good thing, oh well...

I'm told that some car hire companies charge a large excess and take that upfront from the credit card, refunding it when you return the car...

In my experience they reserve (not charge) a large excess to make sure you are good for it and can't cancel out then they cancel the reservation so it does not appear as a transaction or incur a fee. Mind you some car hire companies have been in the news (bad not good) so make sure you check the car they give you and register all existing blemishes in writing (they usually have a form for this) before you drive it.
    Also see this especially points 5 and 6
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/
  • I think No to using a metro credit card overseas.

The Metro credit card is a fine option in Spain, as it has no transaction fees or FX load in Europe - you get the Mastercard rate.

Other cards (like Clarity) are still worth pursuing, because they give you this worldwide and not just in Europe.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback