New state pension - calculator

Options
Hi folks. There appears to be a lot of confusion amongst some of my friends about the new state pension, largely due to there not being much on the gov.uk website about the effect of being contracted out for all or some of the time NI contributions were made, or of having fewer than 35 years NI contributions because of early retirement.

Anyone know of an online calculator or suchlike, where someone could just input their D.O.B and the number of years of contracted in/out NI contributions and get a reasonably accurate figure? I've searched, but nothing obvious came up.

Cheers,

WR

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Wouldn't the simplest thing be to just log onto your Personal Tax Account and check your actual entitlement?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Obtain a new state pension statement.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I do not believe there is any such calculator. The calculation is complex depending on many more factors than simply the number of years you were contracted out - eg which years you were contracted out and your income in each year. However, unless you want to check DWPs calculations it doesnt matter in that all this was worked through in April 2016 and the SP rebased on those calculations.

If you just want to know how many further NI years you need to get the full pension divide the amount of weekly pension you have yet to earn by the full weekly pension and multiply by 35. If you were thinking about buying pre 2016 years you would need to talk to the Future Pensions Centre anyway.
  • Officer_Dibble
    Options
    The problem is that it's clear that the government have got their sums wrong in a high number of cases, but there's no way of checking whether they've got it right or not.

I was contracted out for a number of years (the latest version of the online forecast says as much) but it still says I'll be getting the full new pension. Very nice if so, but it would be nice to know if I'm actually entitled to it, or if they'll crunch the numbers again in a few years and decide that I'm not.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I was contracted out for a number of years (the latest version of the online forecast says as much) but it still says I'll be getting the full new pension. Very nice if so, but it would be nice to know if I'm actually entitled to it, or if they'll crunch the numbers again in a few years and decide that I'm not.

That is perfectly possible - for example if you were also contracted-in for sufficient years you could have earned sufficient SERPS/S2P to balance the contracted-out deduction. Or if you are relatively young and have sufficient time to make up the contracted out deduction by paying more than 35 years NI.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,819 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Did you have at least 30 years NI years creditted up to 6/4/2016 ?
    If so then even if you've been contracted out your whole life your transitional 'starting amount' as at that date would be at least the old basic pension value (around £119).

Every NI year earned/creditted/bought since then simply adds 1/35th of the new State Pension amount until you reach either State Retirement Age or the maximum amount, whichever comes first.
  • Officer_Dibble
    Options
    Thanks Linton - it is indeed perfectly possible, but what I don't know is whether it's actually the case or not! They've come up with an answer without showing their workings (or giving any way of checking their workings), whilst being able to change that answer at some point in the future and being able to take back anything that's already been paid to me under their original calculations. A year by year calculator would be welcomed by me as well as the original poster.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• Officer_Dibble
    Options
    p00sticks - yes, 31 years by 6/4/16. They're suggesting that I need 36 years of contributions rather than 35 to get the full new amount, so perhaps that extra year plus the opted in years are enough to outweigh the opted out period. Impossible to check though.

• xylophone
    Options
    (NI years/30 X £119.30) + (Additional State Pension - Deduction for contracting out).

(NI years/35 x £155.65) - Deduction for contracting out (COPE).

Calculation as above at 6.4.16 - your starting amount was the higher of the two.

The calculation will give each individual his own calculation but each individual has a stating amount equal to/less than/more than the new state pension (£155.65).

If equal to NSP then no more increases (except index linking).

If less than NSP, there could be the possibility of increase up to NSP., for example by contributions going forward from 2016/voluntary contributions etc see

https://www.royallondon.com/global/documents/goodwithyourmoney/topping-up-your-state-pension-guide.pdf

If more than then there will be no increases (except index linking - this is on the basis (currently) of triple link on amount equal to NSP/CPI on balance.

It would be perfectly possible to have been contracted out for a period and yet have enough ASP after the COD to give an amount equal to the NSP.
  • xylophone
    Options
    Impossible to check though.

I seem to remember that SnowMan asked for and obtained his calculation.

Post 127.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70380767
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family