Faulty appliance causing huge electric bills?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,055
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    nvas7407 - don't forget your gas in this - that meter needs reading too.

The end of the month is usually a good time to do this.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • nvas7407
    nvas7407 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    IMO that is incorrect advice.

There are plenty of articles that state a fully filled dishwasher is cheaper than washing by hand.

Indeed for one or two people it makes even more sense to use a dishwasher rather than several washing up 'sessions'.

Why is speed a factor? It might take a couple of hours for a dishwasher cycle, but you don't have to sit by the appliance;)
    I always run a full dishwasher..
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just leaving the tariff for the moment, between 17th April and 7th August you have used 1675 kWh over 80 days. This averages about 21 kWh a day. We use (on average over the past year) about 12 kWh a day for a large detached house (2 people). So I think your consumption is very high and you need to do some detective work.

Also shop around for the best tariff. We are on 12.06p per kWh (ex VAT) plus 17.14p per day fixed and this was signed up for recently in July.
    Je suis sabot...
  • nvas7407
    Robin9 wrote: »
    nvas7407 - don't forget your gas in this - that meter needs reading too.

The end of the month is usually a good time to do this.
    I am going to contact bulb today and agree a date with them for meter readings every month (for gas and electric) so i don't get bills on estimates.. Thanks much.. :)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,860
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You dont need to agree a date, you just submit the meter readings to them.

Have a look at what tarrifs they offer as you may not be on one suitable for your needs, also look at what tarrifs are offered by other suppliers.

Switch everything off when not in use, including lights in rooms you are not using, computers when you go to bed, keep nothing on standby. When items (phones etc) are charged switch the socket off. My OH also unplugs unused / switched off items.

We just moved into a 2 bed flat with similar set up to you (gas central heating and on demand gas heated water), cooker, hob and shower are electric. My OH showers once/twice a day (I bath) we have used the oven a couple of times and mainly use the hob.

Our elec usage is about £7 so far in the week we have been here. We have a prepaid meter so can monitor very clearly what we are using (thank you previous tenants/landlord). When the shower was used I checked to see how much money had been used, same with the oven then the hob.

I know it is a b@llache but maybe monitor your electric usage daily, write the figures down in the morning when you get up and before you go to bed, keep an electric usage diary for a month and you will see where you are using (and paying) unnecessary electric.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    IMO that is incorrect advice.

There are plenty of articles that state a fully filled dishwasher is cheaper than washing by hand.

Indeed for one or two people it makes even more sense to use a dishwasher rather than several washing up 'sessions'.

Why is speed a factor? It might take a couple of hours for a dishwasher cycle, but you don't have to sit by the appliance;)
    Don t forget to factor in the overall costs of purchase of a dishwasher. The expensive ones like Miele , AEG etc cost an arm and a leg and Whirlpool and the like will break down the minute the guarantee ends. £100 a year is about right I reckon.
    My friends broke down this year and flooded the kitchen ruining their expensive new floor and has been nothing but trouble. Which magazine have a survey showing the worst and most unreliable machines in the UK, the best ones like Miele were £800, the £300 machines will definitely break down and pack in for good when its motherboard decides to end its life . Just like cheap washing machines they are built to last a set number of hours.
    Last time I used one it took longer to load it than get the few dishes washed up in a minute or two.., for singles and couples they are just something else waiting to come out and bite you with an unexpected big bill. . Depends how slow, lazy and ponderous you are at getting a few dishes rinsed off. Probably useful for families
  • nvas7407
    You dont need to agree a date, you just submit the meter readings to them.

Have a look at what tarrifs they offer as you may not be on one suitable for your needs, also look at what tarrifs are offered by other suppliers.

Switch everything off when not in use, including lights in rooms you are not using, computers when you go to bed, keep nothing on standby. When items (phones etc) are charged switch the socket off. My OH also unplugs unused / switched off items.

We just moved into a 2 bed flat with similar set up to you (gas central heating and on demand gas heated water), cooker, hob and shower are electric. My OH showers once/twice a day (I bath) we have used the oven a couple of times and mainly use the hob.

Our elec usage is about £7 so far in the week we have been here. We have a prepaid meter so can monitor very clearly what we are using (thank you previous tenants/landlord). When the shower was used I checked to see how much money had been used, same with the oven then the hob.

I know it is a b@llache but maybe monitor your electric usage daily, write the figures down in the morning when you get up and before you go to bed, keep an electric usage diary for a month and you will see where you are using (and paying) unnecessary electric.
    This is quite helpful. I will monitor daily activity and usage. I need to figure out what bulbs to use around the house. Dim/dull light increases my depression. Currently the previous owners seem to have used very bright bulbs and i like them. But i need to see if i can move to LED white lights.. I am trying to find how to research lights..
  • nvas7407
    Houbara wrote: »
    Don t forget to factor in the overall costs of purchase of a dishwasher. The expensive ones like Miele , AEG etc cost an arm and a leg and Whirlpool and the like will break down the minute the guarantee ends. £100 a year is about right I reckon.
    My friends broke down this year and flooded the kitchen ruining their expensive new floor and has been nothing but trouble. Which magazine have a survey showing the worst and most unreliable machines in the UK, the best ones like Miele were £800, the £300 machines will definitely break down and pack in for good when its motherboard decides to end its life . Just like cheap washing machines they are built to last a set number of hours.
    Last time I used one it took longer to load it than get the few dishes washed up in a minute or two.., for singles and couples they are just something else waiting to come out and bite you with an unexpected big bill. . Depends how slow, lazy and ponderous you are at getting a few dishes rinsed off. Probably useful for families
    The house already has a dishwasher. I do not think i can manage without one though. I do cook a lot and my style of cooking uses lots of pots and pans. So I use dishwasher roughly once a day. Some days i don't run a dishwasher. As an aside, I am looking to change the kitchen sink and get a deeper sink. The sink we have is quite shallow and washing pots and pans is an absolute nightmare causing more hassle. Most sinks i see in shops seem quite shallow. I am not sure where to find sinks as deep as the ones i find in the US.
  • soaround
    soaround Posts: 12 Forumite
    Are your lights on all the time, is your microwave plugged in all the time (they eat electricity, try unplugging it and see if that helps). Do you have storage heaters?

Does a plugged in but not being used microwave use electricity? How does it do that. I'm genuinely curious (I don't have a microwave).
  • soaround
    soaround Posts: 12 Forumite
    nvas7407 wrote: »
    I am going to contact bulb today and agree a date with them for meter readings every month (for gas and electric) so i don't get bills on estimates.. Thanks much.. :)
    Why would you need to do this. Do you have an online account with them? Just log in and put the meter readings in. You seem to be making things very difficult for yourself.
    Just read the meter and let them know the reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure