DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• SuzyN
    SuzyN Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Today I discovered YNAB - I think I'm in love :heart::heart::heart::happyhear:happyhear

I was reading old posts on the YNAB app and budgeting software (For anyone like me up to yesterday it is like a new way of managing your money via a virtual envelope system) and I read that although it costs $60 a year, if you email them your student card they will give you a year free. Cant believe it!! Within an hour I had my free link back.

I'm only a pt student and there were no issues at all.

Cant wait to see how it works out for the rest of the month as I think changing my spending habits is key to my future dmp success.

Sx
    LBM: July 2018 - Contacted SC :j

Paid off to date - £986
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Red_Athena wrote: »
    Oh, I have a question that someone may know the answer to. I set up a new bank account to an unlinked bank, but I do have a joint First Direct account with my partner. I have an M&S credit card, and looking into it M&S are owned by HSBC, as are FD. Could they take money from my joint account for a solo debt?

Edited to add: I found the answer on StepChange and no they cannot. I am not able to post a link because of being a new user!

Good question, I would say yes, you need to remove all avenues such as this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Good afternoon everyone,
    Just thought id share a quick update with you all. First off is some good news, my loan (which was my biggest debt at £19k) has been defaulted by first direct and straight off knocked the interest that i would have been paying, lessening the debt now to £14k. It feels like a wee £5k windfall lol.
    Tesco bank, next and Barclaycard have also all defaulted me, just waiting on mbna and virgin now and it will be a full house. Im really pleased with how things are going and really wish i had done this years ago instead of just adding to it. My dfd date is estimated as June 2024, seems like such a long time away but at least im on the right track.
    The old spending devil lands on my shoulder occasionally and i have to reign it in as i really want to continue with the little bit of savings ive managed to gather up.Its not easy but its worth it.
    learning to live again, slowly but determined £30k in debt, but dealing with it and proud
  • SuzyN
    First Anniversary
    How long did each of your creditors take to default you? I have the same set (except first direct) and am wondering what they are likely to do?! Brilliant news re your loan :)

Paid off to date - £986
  • SuzyN wrote: »
    How long did each of your creditors take to default you? I have the same set (except first direct) and am wondering what they are likely to do?! Brilliant news re your loan :)

HI, I stopped my direct debits in March and my first dmp payment went out in June. My new credit report shows the defaults dated august, so not long at all.
    learning to live again, slowly but determined £30k in debt, but dealing with it and proud
  • Well it does not fill me with confidence that today I received a bank account application pack from StepChange *as discussed* (nope) rather than the DMP pack.
  • SuzyN
    First Anniversary
    Well it does not fill me with confidence that today I received a bank account application pack from StepChange *as discussed* (nope) rather than the DMP pack.

Nope not good!! :(

Paid off to date - £986
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Well it does not fill me with confidence that today I received a bank account application pack from StepChange *as discussed* (nope) rather than the DMP pack.

I received a Barclays basic account application pack from Stepchange, even though they knew that I already banked with Barclays and have a loan and Barclaycard with them....although SC did say that Barclays wouldn't steal my money as long as I was making the agreed DMP payments to them. It seemed a bit risky though so I opened a new account with Nationwide.

The actual DMP application pack came by email shortly after I'd completed the online debt remedy tool (same day).
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • Morning all!

So letters slowly coming back in from creditors, 2 have asked for information about my budget. I am reluctant to give them any info at the moment as I want to take my time so I can build my emergency fund up along with paying off some dental treatment that I'm already committed to. This means it might take me a good 5 months until I crack on with my DMP. Do I just send them to budget but make it clear I am taking some breathing space to build up emergency funds? Or do I just write back without a copy of my budget and tell them I will be back in touch with my budget as my circumstances are due to change in the next few months (which isn't a lie)? Any help will be much appreciated!
    Total Debt June 2018 £23,064 /£0 Paid off
    Ultimate Savings Goal £0/£1000
    Holiday Pot £0/£500
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Morning all!.........
    So letters slowly coming back in from creditors, 2 have asked for information about my budget. I am reluctant to give them any info at the moment.......... Do I just send them to budget but make it clear I am taking some breathing space to build up emergency funds? Or do I just write back without a copy of my budget and tell them I will be back in touch with my budget as my circumstances are due to change....

It's always a good thing to get your creditors on board in the early stages - so yes, go back to them with your I & E, but make it clear that the DMP will start from x date. You can state the reason as being a) money to save for EF (to minimise the likelihood of having to vary payments should and unexpected bill hit you), b) the dental work commitments and c) anything else you like (which you could make up if you're so minded to).

This is an informal arrangement and you need to be ready to go when it suits you, not your creditors. But of course they have every right to ask for the I&E and when they can expect the DMP to begin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure