Probate and IHT

I am dealing with my late great uncle estate on behalf of my nan who is too upset to deal with the probate even though he died without a will and will be the sole beneficiary. I have a few questions how long do you have to wait for the probate interview I'm based in Birmingham, also can hand delivery the paperwork to the court because I don't live that far away and don't trust Royal Mail.

I need to do this ASAP as she is 77 and the house which is the only asset isn't suitable it has no functioning heating and needs to be sold ASAP to get somewhere suitable.

I have a question about filling the IHT205 online it around this section

You will need your:

address
National Insurance number
phone number
choice of country for where you are applying to the Probate Service – only people applying in England and Wales can use this service
role in the person who has died’s estate – you can only use this service if you are responsible for the estate as an executor or an administrator

Is that my information because I'm applying for the probate or my nans

If anyone else is applying to the Probate Service for a grant of representation for the estate, you will need their:

name
date of birth
National Insurance number
address
phone number

I'm guessing that will be my information.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    When there is no will and therefore no named executor, it is the person completing the form who is considered the applicant, and fills in the first part. The 'anyone else' part is if you were applying as a joint executor with your Nan, which from your post, seems not to be the case.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Start with the PA1 form.

you need to get that right first as you are not the top of the list of those eligible to apply.
  • I am aware that I’m not eligible but she is 77 and doesn’t feel comfortable doing the application and we quoted 2900 for coop legal services which is excessive, the pa1 as section called attorney which I will have to fill my details and according to guidance notes it says they will then send a form for my Nan to sign, it was the online iht 205 form my main question was around, thanks guys
  • Margot123
    You could always ask a local solicitor if they will advise (or indeed apply) on a retainer. I did this when Probate was slightly complicated with some estranged executors. It didn't cost anywhere near the thousands quoted by high-street 'names'.
    As I recall, it was about £800 in total, 2 years ago, and the solicitor did a lot of chasing around. I had negotiated a flat fee though........many local firms are open to haggling on the fee.
  • If his estate is such that you need to claim the primary residence nil rate band, you will need to use IHT400 rather than 250, likewise if he was a widower and you need to claim her transferable nil rate band.

Does your Nan have a will in place? If not she really should do one now.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    jamiel1991 wrote: »
    I am aware that I’m not eligible but she is 77 and doesn’t feel comfortable doing the application and we quoted 2900 for coop legal services which is excessive, the pa1 as section called attorney which I will have to fill my details and according to guidance notes it says they will then send a form for my Nan to sign, it was the online iht 205 form my main question was around, thanks guys

Just checking, one thing to watch with the POA option, if nan passes before you have finished you are supposed to apply again but I doubt anyone checks.
  • Thanks for all advice you have gave me so far just a quick one anyone used or heard about a company called Affinion probate they claim to be probate within 30 days for a few of 449 because I don’t want to mess it and delay it
  • Margot123
    jamiel1991 wrote: »
    Thanks for all advice you have gave me so far just a quick one anyone used or heard about a company called Affinion probate they claim to be probate within 30 days for a few of 449 because I don’t want to mess it and delay it

These sorts of companies always seem to tie people into various insurances which are separate to their fees. It can end up costing a lot more than you anticipate.
    As I have previously said, ask your LOCAL solicitor for a quote; if it seems to much, then negotiate a lower fee. You can pop into their office and have a quick chat at any time rather than be diverted through call centres to clueless students on the minimum wage.
    Probate (application to grant) took just 10 days through my solicitor, after he had pushed the other executors into life!
    It's your call...........
  • They are lying!
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would download the forms, don't do it online. That way you can take your time, check and double check etc before your nan (if she is the one applying for probate) signs and send them off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure