Green tea for slimming - Any experience/feedback?

I've heard on and off for a few years of green tea having detox and slimming effects on the body, but never really tried it as I'm not a tea fan in general. I'm just wondering if anybody has tried it previously and if it had positive effects?

I wouldn't say I'm overweight but I wouldn't exactly say I'm slim either, but I've noticed over the last few months that I am just gaining weight around my waist. I've noticed my work trousers getting tighter too. I had a recent health checkup through work a few months ago to which the doctor told me my BMI was just slightly high, and I was just on the borderline from being healthy, to overweight.
Yet I can't seem to shed this little bit of weight. I eat regular healthy meals, drink plenty of water and have a very active job.

I've just bought some Green Tea Extract capsules from Holland & Barrett to see if they have an effect on helping a little bit. So I'll be taking them for the next month or so. But I'm curious as to people who've tried this before

Comments

• There's no real evidence that it can help weight loss:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320540.php

My partner started drinking green tea at the beginning of the year, as he'd heard about how good it was supposed to be for you. I tried to point out there was no strong evidence to suggest it was the wonder cure he thought it was. After a couple of weeks and drinking it (and hating the taste) he finally did some research and came to the same conclusion as me.

If you want to lose a small amount of weight check your portion sizes. Most people serve portions larger than the recommended amount. Modern dinner plates are huge compared to those made 30-40 years ago. The plates at my Mom's (which I ate from growing up) are only fractionally larger than the side plates I have in my house.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Seriously, does anyone believe this works!!
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I've heard on and off for a few years of green tea having detox and slimming effects on the body, but never really tried it as I'm not a tea fan in general. I'm just wondering if anybody has tried it previously and if it had positive effects?

I wouldn't say I'm overweight but I wouldn't exactly say I'm slim either, but I've noticed over the last few months that I am just gaining weight around my waist. I've noticed my work trousers getting tighter too. I had a recent health checkup through work a few months ago to which the doctor told me my BMI was just slightly high, and I was just on the borderline from being healthy, to overweight.
    Yet I can't seem to shed this little bit of weight. I eat regular healthy meals, drink plenty of water and have a very active job.

I've just bought some Green Tea Extract capsules from Holland & Barrett to see if they have an effect on helping a little bit. So I'll be taking them for the next month or so. But I'm curious as to people who've tried this before

It's a combination of things....green tea is often drunk without milk, so you'll save a few calories there.
    Do more walking and you'll soon notice the lbs dropping off.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hollydays wrote: »
    Seriously, does anyone believe this works!!

Don't these sort of products usually have something about 'to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise' on the label! That is how they work! I guess if someone has been guzzling down litres of coke or sugary tea each day this might help.
  • Hermia

You might want to look into whether you are sticking to correct portion sizes and also work out the calories in what you are eating. People who eat healthily often tend to overlook these things. For example, my aunt has been putting weight on and she was shocked as she is veggie and cooks healthy meals. Yet if you saw her stir-fry each portion is enough for two people. So, each person is eating a double helping of all the ingredients. They may be all healthy ingredients but they do add up.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    I was told to drink Green Tea as it was good for you.

Gave me awful pains in the stomach and I was told to stop drinking it.:p
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    DUTR wrote: »
    It's a combination of things....green tea is often drunk without milk, so you'll save a few calories there.
    Do more walking and you'll soon notice the lbs dropping off.

I'm averaging 15,000 steps per day, which is about 7 miles per day, how much more walking can I really do? :rotfl:
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Hermia wrote: »
    You might want to look into whether you are sticking to correct portion sizes and also work out the calories in what you are eating. People who eat healthily often tend to overlook these things. For example, my aunt has been putting weight on and she was shocked as she is veggie and cooks healthy meals. Yet if you saw her stir-fry each portion is enough for two people. So, each person is eating a double helping of all the ingredients. They may be all healthy ingredients but they do add up.

One thing I have already cut down is fruit squash, because it might be 'No added sugar' but there's still some natural sugars within there. But I realised a lot of the sugar levels are 'per 100ml' which a few months ago I was putting this in a large flask, then drinking glasses throughout the day, and I realised that that natural sugar still adds up.

Portion sizes may be a good shout though. I've always had a really good appetite but perhaps need to cut them down
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 August 2018 at 12:06PM
    What do you think has caused your weight gain?
    If you went to the old style board I'm sure there would be a thread about losing weight eating normally. Edit it's here
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680779&highlight=diet
    One trick is to cut out processed food
  • Hermia
    I'm averaging 15,000 steps per day, which is about 7 miles per day, how much more walking can I really do? :rotfl:

As I understand it walking is generally not enough exercise unless you are overweight or just starting out. If you are fit walking is probably not getting you breathless and getting your heart rate up enough. Like you, I walk miles every day but I find it really only helps me keep up a general level of fitness. If I want to lose weight or improve my fitness I have to start doing something more intensive. When I walk I do try and make sure I walk faster or take a route with hills.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure