Has anyone ever been the victim of money muling?

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »
    They do zx81 ;)

You missed the signature
    Like zx81, I don't see signatures. The fact that a poster had got permission used to be included below his name, where we could all see it, didn't it? If it's in his signature, it's hidden from all of those who don't want to see avatars & signatures and all that rubbish.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As well as their signature, members given special permission to post, also have their names displayed in a different colour. Clicking on their name and viewing their public profile shows their signature. The member name may also have a tick against it.

A complete list of specially approved users can be found here.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You have to feel sorry for the OP - one potentially helpful lead and most of the rest griping about spelling, grammar and MSE's signature policy.
    It's a wonder new posters ever come back.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Perhaps most MSE members are cautious enough not to have been a victim of money muling and the lack of response reflects that.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    alanq wrote: »
    As well as their signature, members given special permission to post, also have their names displayed in a different colour.
    In this case (and on my screen), quite subtly different.

But my point really was that they usually have, under their name, 'Has MSE’s permission to post for company' or similar. That's the case on the Energy board, anyway, I assumed it was general and that, if it wasn't displayed, they didn't have permission.

Sorry, Daniel, none of this is your fault.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    elsien wrote: »
    You have to feel sorry for the OP - one potentially helpful lead and most of the rest griping about spelling, grammar and MSE's signature policy.
    It's a wonder new posters ever come back.

Hm.

I don't feel sorry for the OP, you have to be pretty robust to be a journalist, and I for one was giving what I think is a pretty succinct summary of why he should strive to do better on forums.

You "gripe about grammar" in every post you make, in bold no less - so a little ironic.

"Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of."
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I do indeed, but it's handily tucked away in my signature so as not to derail any threads. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • People who allow their accounts to be used this way aren't victims.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Daniel

I have rarely come across anyone who has acted as a mule for money, I only remember one case on these forums. I think it would be far more benefiting to do an investigation on how banks are locking people's account, often unfairly for months on end. We regularly see posters asking for help about what to do about locked accounts and how to "get by" when they have no access to money.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    djpailo wrote: »
    ...I think it would be far more benefiting to do an investigation on how banks are locking people's account, often unfairly for months on end. ....
    but that would not make for a good sound bite / eye catching headline.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport