PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage withdrawn 2 days before completion and exchange

Afternoon Guys,

First time poster and home owner.

Background on this case,
DIP accepted offered a mortgage of £201,000 borrowing at 88% LTV
Offered on property sale price £150,000 with 88% LTV.
Accepted all is well,
Mortgage documents sent, payslips, bank statements, everything required all ok
Suppose to complete and exchange tomorrow,
called the solicitors yesterday to confirm everything and they called me back at 3pm stating that nationwide has refused to release funds due to a failed credit check?

I haven't taken any credit out since the DIP or application, my credit score has actually increased from 933 to 963 in this time,
They have increased my credit card limit from 11,000 to 13,800 nothing owed on it?
No missed payments?
Unsure why I have failed credit score?
They have offered to lend to me 88% at £201,000 I have chosen to purchase at a much lower property.

I am only taking out a mortgage of £133,000 not £201,000 well within my borrowing amount

I have spoken to the broker who said that the underwriter for NW will review this within 24 hours, this was yesterday at 4pm.
I am struggling to understand why they have withdrawn the offer this late stage 2 days before competing?
:(:(

What to do if they refused to lend?

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Find a new lender?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Within 24 hours?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Were you really to be exchanging and completing on the same day? (Note the order).

This means that the exchange will probably not go ahead and you'll have to find another property. Unless the mortgage gets sorted today ... have you checked with the broker/NW today?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Within 24 hours?
    You haven't exchanged contracts yet, so the 24 hours thing is no longer viable.

If you have to find a new lender, the chain will have to wait until you can get back to the position you had reached before.

Ignore the 933, 963 stuff from Experian. That means something only when they start lending money. Something in your financial make-up has changed which has caused Nationwide's opinion of you as a borrower to change. Hopefully, it won't be too much of an issue and your offer will be re-instated.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. It is very risky business exchanging and completing on the same day. People have had nightmares. Search the forum and read the stories. Since you may have to delay your timeline/get a new lender, it may be better to leave at least a gap of one week between exchange and completion. Is there any urgency to complete ASAP?
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Do you actually ever have a mortgage offer, as opposed to just a DIP?

It seems unlikely to me that exchange and completion was ever going to take place tomorrow.
  • Kind of a mini hijack here - is it normal for a lender to do a second credit check once they have made an offer?

Is it like the solicitors "final check" on the Land Registry etc?

I only ask because, unlike the OP, I have bought some stuff on credit in the period between offer made (from HSBC) and completion (end of this month).
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Kind of a mini hijack here - is it normal for a lender to do a second credit check once they have made an offer?

Is it like the solicitors "final check" on the Land Registry etc?

I only ask because, unlike the OP, I have bought some stuff on credit in the period between offer made (from HSBC) and completion (end of this month).

I do not believe it is normal, but kingstreet better placed to answer.

From the way the op has worded their post I suspect all they had was a DIP, and never got as far as a full mortgage offer, so there was no offer to be withdrawn.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    DIP accepted offered a mortgage of £201,000 borrowing at 88% LTV
    called the solicitors yesterday to confirm everything and they called me back at 3pm stating that nationwide has refused to release funds due to a failed credit check?

I'm no expert on this, but was it definitely the Experian credit check?

They'd have credit checked you for the DIP, but they wouldn't have seen your bank statements (or payslips etc) at that stage.

Could it be they didn't like something they saw on those?
    e.g. They've spotted a 'regular outgoings' that you hadn't mentioned, or gambling transactions.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Within 24 hours?

You haven't exchanged so you're not tied to the 24hour deadline. Exchange & completion will have to be pushed back until then.
    JohnnyZee wrote: »
    Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. It is very risky business exchanging and completing on the same day.

How? in this case it's better for the OP.. the lender isn't tied in at the point of exchange, and can withdraw the offer if they find new info etc. So, if OP had already exchanged and then the lender withdrew, then OP would be unable to complete and lose their deposit / pay costs to the seller.

For OP, next time do the same, just try to leave booking things for completion until the day of where possible or be prepared to lose any money spent if exchange/completion don't happen again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure