Noisy DIY at weekends

Comments

• Well seems I'm going to buck the trend OP and offer you sympathy: that level of relentless noise, weekend after weekend would be wearing me out too.
    I don't think there is much you can do though, other than check he has all the necessary permissions. But that won't stop the noisy demolition of the chimney breast, as that's already happened. If they really are a serial renovator, it sounds like they are unlikey to be too worried about fostering good relations.
    We recently had our bathroom gutted and refurbed and I agonized about the noise it caused, especially the cutting of the tiles which seemed to take for ever, even though it was within the working week, because there are plenty of people here who are at home for a variety of reasons. But there was no way round it, the work needed to be done.

That would be fine. I have no problem with that kind of thing or we'd all be living in mud huts still. It's the lack of basic forewarning of work being done that irritates me most.
    I think they are the ones who should be baking me a cake. (And I do like cake!)
  • missprice wrote: »
    You can be as friendly as you wish to be, doesn't mean others are forced to be friendly in return.its not compulsory to be matey with people even the neighbors. You at least have an end date.
    We took a year to fix up this house, we did tell neighbours and apologized a lot and bought a hamper at the end. But if they had been aloof then we wouldn't have given a damn. And the work would still have had to be done.
    Look on your local councils website, look for planning applications and building regulations. You can usually search by address.

There's the difference though. You played it straight, kept your neighbours in the loop and gave them something at the end. I have looked at the council website and there are no permissions for the property. Not one.
    I understand that people don't have to be mates with the neighbours. No harm in basic civility though. Despite lack of which on his part, other posters seem to be suggesting I should be going round with coffee and cake for him to tell me when I should be out.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There's the difference though. You played it straight, kept your neighbours in the loop and gave them something at the end. I have looked at the council website and there are no permissions for the property. Not one.
    I understand that people don't have to be mates with the neighbours. No harm in basic civility though. Despite lack of which on his part, other posters seem to be suggesting I should be going round with coffee and cake for him to tell me when I should be out.

See if he is a serial renovator, I would have thought he would know to jump through relevant hoops. Pretty hard to sell a house these days without multiple bits of paper permissions.

And I also mentioned,if the neighbors were arsey it would have made no difference to us, the work still had to be done regardless of their feelings. It was simply easier to stay on their good side.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That would be fine. I have no problem with that kind of thing or we'd all be living in mud huts still.

Nothing wrong with mud huts, people are still building and living in them
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Nothing wrong with mud huts, people are still building and living in them

Really? Round your way? I was just making the point that things advance and progress. But there are ways of doing things without hacking people off.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Seriously? I made the effort, was friendly and get a cursory nod in return (and it wasn't just once or twice, as everyone can have an off day, or be distracted). Now I just nod too. What do you do with people who give nothing back??

That's a perfectly polite response to a neighbour. If you got no response at all that would be rude, but a nod is fine. What were you expecting?
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have no issue if he wants to do his work in the week when I'm out...that would be considerate. But he chooses not to.

He's not choosing when to do the work merely to maximise the effect on you - I honestly doubt you have crossed his mind in that way

It sounds like you are way too emotionally worked up over this.

Unless he is making noise well into the night, you cant do much.

If he is making noise into the night, contact your local council noise abatement team.

Otherwise, relax - it won't be forever. You are merely working yourself up over something that is out of your control.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was meant to be babysitting my mate's 2 year old today but he was so terrified by the hammering and banging I had to take him home.

I have never met a two year old who is so nervous.

However I have met two year olds who become upset over adults fears, pick up emotions from adults
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ska_lover wrote: »
    I have never met a two year old who is so nervous.

However I have met two year olds who become upset over adults fears, pick up emotions from adults

Good way to get out of babysitting though! :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport