WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    molerat wrote: »
    I notice there is no ability to comment.
    Comments are possible on Twitter at
    https://twitter.com/MoneySavingExp/status/883383375087550464
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 July 2017 at 4:11AM
    Does no-one else find it really worrying that we have elected several MPs gullible enough to fall for this. Or is it even more worryingly the case that they know the basis of the WASPI campaign is not true and still decide to back it? Or do they truly believe the lies they are telling.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    badmemory wrote: »
    Does no-one else find it really worrying that we have elected several MPs gullible enough to fall for this. Or is it even more worryingly the case that they know the basis of the WASPI campaign is not true and still decide to back it? Or do they truly believe the lies they are telling.

Labour MPs mostly, speaks volumes.

Magic money tree ....
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GRASPI's can bleat as much as they like, but NO Government is going to make any changes to the 1995 Act, as this is 'carved in stone' iIn the unlikely event the 2011 Act gets further amendments, I think we'd all welcome that.

A Corbyn government?

Spending calculations undertaken by Jeremy and Diane, what could possibly go wrong?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    bigadaj wrote: »
    A Corbyn government?

Spending calculations undertaken by Jeremy and Diane, what could possibly go wrong?
    Absolutely nothing could go wrong.

In fact, with Diane Abbott in charge of Work & Pensions, giving WASPI women what they want would only cost a couple of thousand quid. :whistle:
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    badmemory wrote: »

It started with them signing those stupid WASPI pledges before the GE, in an effort to gain votes. Now all the MPs who signed the pledge are being hounded, and coerced into signing the even more stupid EDM.

I totally agree, it is immensely worrying that we have MPs who are putting their names to this as none of them actually has even any proposal on how to deliver what WASPI want. Even if they had such a proposal, none of them is in any position to deliver it - not even under a potential future Labour government. It is quite telling that the Labour manifesto had only costed the Pension Credit proposal, not the tens of billions WASPI want.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    “ In the unlikely event the 2011 Act gets further amendments, I think we'd all welcome that.
    Originally posted by Mortgagefreeman
    I admit, I would love to have my SP 18 months earlier than it's scheduled right now. Then I look at what it would cost to repeal the 2011 Act, and because it is way in excess of £30bn, I can't really seriously ask for it. If there were £30bn looking for a home, use them for something like getting rid of food banks Posted by colsten

I agree with colsten. The 2011 changes put up my SPA from 65 to 66 - but there are many out there who need the money far more than I do.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Or the MPs are quite clever. They know there is not even the slimmest chance of any changes happening but they have done their bit and put their names down to try and help those poor unfortunate women. Possible votes gained next time round. ;)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 July 2017 at 1:01PM
    Or the MPs are quite clever. They know there is not even the slimmest chance of any changes happening but they have done their bit and put their names down to try and help those poor unfortunate women. Possible votes gained next time round. ;) Posted by molerat
    In hindsight, it's a good job Corbyn didn't include 'State pensions for all from age 60' as part of his manifesto - the graspi votes might just have been enough to tip him into (God help us!) No 10.

Mind you, it would have been quite funny to watch Diane Abbot totting up the bills on her fingers, and explaining where all these extra thousands of £££s would come from!
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    In hindsight, it's a good job Corbyn didn't include 'State pensions for all from age 60' as part of his manifesto - the graspi votes might just have been enough to tip him into (God help us!) No 10.
    The Labour manifesto contains these strange sentences: "The pension age is due to rise to 66 by the end of 2020. Labour rejects the Conservatives’ proposal to increase the state pension age even further." Obviously Labour are oblivious to the facts that
    1. legislation was introduced under a Labour Government in 2007 to increase the SPA to 68

2. over and beyond the currently existing legislation, there is presently no proposal by the Tories for further increases. For a would-be Government to refer to legislation as a proposal is really rather worrying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure