Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2017

Comments

• pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    photome wrote: »
    Its official (sadly) Station rewards are gone for good from My vegas.

we always had breakfast at Red Rock, and Green valley, also used the cabana for a day at Sunset Station, plus a few others.

not much to spend my 500,000 points on now
    I'm devastated.

We have spent lots of time at Red Rock and GVR courtesy of MyVEGAS. We will still visit of course, but the perks were great.
  • ShAnE
    ShAnE Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Post
    Just back from our honeymoon in vegas, not quite as planned as I spent my 30th birthday pleading with the people at the linq to give me and the wife a room with a double bed which isn't above the outdoor bar by Harrahs.

Not quite as planned, as we had booked a suite at the Rio but it seems water and electricity don't mix so that put a bit of a downer on things.

Managed to use MyVegas rewards for a couple of buffets $50 each at Time Square NYNY and some free play, but agree the rewards do seem to be getting fewer and of lesser value.
    Although what annoys me most is them blacking out dates at the last minute, as though no one knew New years eve fell on December 31st this year, so had to do some last minute switching of rewards.
    Current Debt: 0%.
    Current House Deposit: 7%.
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    hi
    and thanks for the feedback!
    I guess it ll be the first time i would do a holiday solo so it ll be different.
    It it much more exspensive going solo? as far as some research i ve done it ll be a tad more .
    Id worry a lil about going to the buffet alone as well
    I guess i d worry a lil about being *judged* i guess being a single guy,being there alone.

Being more on the *shy side* i guess i d prob keep myself to myself if i did a solo trip.
    Though on the plus side i could do what i wanted-when i wanted.!:j
    anyhow thanks for the feedback, !
    I think the main difference between you and I, is that I've done Vegas to death - I've done 10 trips and there are very few attractions in or around Vegas I hadn't done before and that would have helped to keep me occupied. This will probably work in your favor.

As historically, I'd pretty much paid for everything, it is hard for me to say whether costs are more, but certainly if you're used to sharing accommodation and taxi costs, there will be a cost increase. Also some of the 2 for 1 deals will affect you.

Re: eating - although I never went to a buffet, I don't think you will be judged at all. Whenever I was hungry, I would just go somewhere and sit at the bar. It is quite common for people to do that (when in Boston, I was told by another customer that it's an assumption you're "up for chatting" if you sit at the bar rather than a table).

Sitting at the bar has the added bonus of chatting with bar staff (who seemed bored a lot of the time so a good audience) and you can also get prime seating for watching sports on the TV (and you get served drinks quicker! :D )
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    thanks again nvh- i ve only been to vegas 3 times so im not a vetern !

ye that s half the battle is my brother and i used to share a bit of the exspsenses even it is was jusy money for the taxi!

A good idea about the bar,
    just have to weigh a few things up and maybe look for a few deals and see if i ll bite the bullet !
    thanks again
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    hi nvh
    and thanks for the feedback esp the bit about going to vegas (and maybe other cities?) alone.

I ve being doing a bit of research in regards my going solo, and your input is welcomed!

as like a few posters i ve not booked anything vegas wise as of yet, sorta waiting to see if i ll get any Mlife offers for comp nights.

kind regards

Happy to offer advice as to travelling alone. I'm currently planning a two city stop in May, Seattle and then down to Vegas, although it's been a while since I travelled at all i'm sure things haven't changed too much.

Last time I was in Vegas I found plenty of things to do by myself and like NVH was happy to eat at the bar numerous times, I too found that most of the time I got better service from the bar staff as they had more time to deal with you, certainly got refills on your drinks sat there too! I did avoid the buffets as I was concerned about losing my table (or possessions!) when I was at the buffet.

Also travelling alone you get to do what you want to do when you want to do it, want to go back to your room for a lie down? Just do it. No arguements about what shows to see either! Only thing I missed out on was the two for one offers such as Mac King which was on at the time.

Already looking at things to do for this years trip and planning a day downtown at Freemont Experience, Mob Museum (anybody done?) and the neon graveyard, probably got to the outlet place in the area too, all these I can do by myself without any issue.

Obviously the accommodation is expensive as booking for just one person without sharing increases the price, already booked through AirBnb for Seattle, looking for Vegas at the moment but debating on waiting for the deals to start but as my stay creeps into Memorial Day weekend might be expensive anyway.

I really wouldn't worry about travelling solo.

Hope that helps somewhat, happy to answer any questions you might have.
  • Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 4 January 2017 at 2:45PM
    Hi all! Thanks to secretmachines for the shiny new thread.

We did 10 days at The Cosmo last August, for our second trip. Coming back I got my usual post-Vegas blues as we thought we'd skip 2017 and try somewhere else. However, I caved yesterday and booked flights for August, 6th-13th. :)

We fell out a bit with The Cosmo last trip. I'm not sure if it was the slight difference in the time of year we went (early August as opposed to later in the month), but the place was like a zoo. I know it has a younger vibe, but the first time we were there the people at least knew how to behave. This time, the behaviour from some of the guests was just vile, and it culminated in us having to call security to the people in the Wraparound next door. They threw over 40 people out of the suite!

Also, we requested the West Tower as I specifically asked for a quieter location, but the check-in clerk really pushed us to try the East Tower this time. I agreed, but requested to be far from the elevator. He put us in a suite which was exactly ten steps from the elevator (I counted!), and after two nights of hearing nothing but blaring music from the cantina across the strip, I requested a move to the West Tower. It was STILL noisy there, which it certainly wasn't the first time we stayed. Not sure what's going on there. We always choose a high floor to be further from the noise of the Strip.

So, this time I'm looking at Aria and Vdara. I've seen a good deal for a Vdara Panoramic Suite and might go for that. I'll have the added advantage of being able to choose from more MyVegas rewards, as you're very limited if staying non-MGM.
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • Hi all,

Has anyone used the Las Vegas Dine4Less card before? It offers up to 25% a number of different places. I've found it on a site for £12 and wonder whether it's worth trying it.

Thank you
    Staffie
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi Stew68
    and thanks for the feedback and doing what i want and seeing what shows i wanted is a mega plus for me!
    i did/do like the bufffets in vegas(i do like the one price kinda thing so i know what im spending and it was maybe one meal a day thing)
    and thanks for the detailed feedback also. but like you would worry a little about losing my things!
    as for your question about the mob musuem, we did in back in june and loved it ! i think we paid at the door and i think it was about $17 each , but im sure they d be deals to be had!
    If you are doing that i d surggest doing the freemont street experince either before/after( or the mob musuem inbetween) as the Mob Musuem is like a few mins walk from the freemont street experince which was fun to do,
    kind regards
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 4 January 2017 at 4:58PM
    Hi all,

Has anyone used the Las Vegas Dine4Less card before? It offers up to 25% a number of different places. I've found it on a site for £12 and wonder whether it's worth trying it.

Thank you
    Staffie

NOt aware of anyone using it, my gut feeling is, probable not worth it.

there are some good deals on travelzoo , restaurant.com and at the tix4tonite stands and a few on myvegas

there are also many fast food and cheaper eaterys, one of my faves is
    http://www.komexexpress.com/

never seen it mentioned on here but it is very tasty cooked to order food
  • photome wrote: »
    NOt aware of anyone using it, my gut feeling is, probable not worth it.

there are some good deals on travelzoo , restaurant.com and at the tix4tonite stands and a few on myvegas

there are also many fast food and cheaper eaterys, one of my faves is
    http://www.komexexpress.com/

never seen it mentioned on here but it is very tasty cooked to order food

Thanks photome.

That's my gut feeling. Thank you for the recommendation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts