Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback

articlealert2_banner.gif
Hi all, we have a new Broadband Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Thanks for your help,
MSE Nick

Comments

• TQM
    TQM Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi,

Been an existing Sky customer for a few years. Just rang them and got free unlimited broadband for 12months; have to pay for line rental (12month contract).

I rang their customer service number: there was an annoying automated voice recognition system to get through first, which didn't understand a word I was saying, followed by an annoying automaton in a call-centre, who told me no offers were available; I then asked to be put through to retentions (thanks MSE for that tip!) - the guy there asked me why I was leaving, but I quickly explained I wanted a deal... Lo-and-behold it was done with minimum fuss.

However, last year I managed to pay upfront for a year's line rental, which was a wise move because they put their prices up within 2 months. The retentions guy said Sky were no longer offering this.

Has anyone managed to get the upfront line rental approved by Sky recently?
  • hottdang1
    hottdang1 Posts: 56 Forumite
    I threatened to leave Virgin just now - had a deal in front of me from a broadband comparison site for Sky fibre

As I wanted to ditch the TV - they offered me same 50mb unlimited for £24.99 with guarantee if they increase by more than 50p, I can leave without obligation

I still have the landline (don't use) but the package without phone was more expensive

so ditching TV just saved me £30 for something in recent times we've hardly used (we use Netflix) as I was paying £55 before

I don't know if you can get same broadband cheaper in my area but I'm happy paying £25 for the speed I get - and it does get hammered in our house

call took little more than 5 minutes and the analyst was quite pleasant
  • I get annoyed by your usage of the word 'haggling'.... you are not haggling because the retention/ cancellations people don't have free reign over what they can offer you. What they do have is a set of offers/ deals that they can give you in an attempt to stop you from canceling.

Typically it is to the benefit of the retention operator (usually financial) to save you with the lowest financial loss to the company.

What i do (and I learned this by experience) is to call, making sure I have a pen and pad handy. I tell them I want to leave. I tell them that it is purely financial and unless I can save money I will leave. When i call I know what I want and state this. I then ask what they can do for me to reduce the cost, and note down the offer. I then ask what better deal they can do, and so on until there is no further offer. As i have written this down, I know what they can offer, and then either accept the best offer or tell them to process the cancellation.

I feel that it is important to remember that, say, a 50% off deal from Sky is frequently not the best deal - as this covers only the TV subs, not multiroom, BB or phone. A 35% off deal over the whole lot is financially better. It is the same with every company - the best sounding deal is usually not the best in terms of saving.

Using Sky as an example, I called and was offered:
    1. 10% off for 1 year (TV subs)
    2. 35% off for 1 year (TV subs)
    3. 50% off for 6 months (TV subs)
    4. Free BB
    5. A £75 credit

These were all 'or' offers, I asked for 50% of for 1 year, Free BB and £75 credit. Without a hesitation I was given it.

I think it is important to remember that the companies you call know more about their competitors than you do - so you need to make sure that if saying that you are leaving for a better deal you understand the deal and are sure it is better. I have heard of many a caller loosing a discount because they did not understand that what they were stating was a better deal was not so.

I also believe that you should realise that cheaper does not equal better. i was with TalKTalk a few years back because it was a 'better deal' and we switched thinking it was such. biggest mistake ever!
  • Hi all, i received the weekly MoneySavingExpert.com email today, and was interested to see a tip about haggling with your Broadband provider to get a cheaper deal. Well, i contacted them, (Plusnet) to have a moan about their prices, and if i could get a better deal. They offered me free, unlimited Broadband for a year! I mentioned that we were thinking of leaving them, as we were not tied to a contract any more, so i reckon that swayed it. I am delighted, so if any of you folk were dithering about trying to haggle with the likes of BT, Plusnet, Sky etc, then JUST DO IT!
  • Stockie
    Stockie Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Doesn't always work out, My contract with talktalk just ended a few days ago, I phoned them around a month ago to see if they could do any deals like matching their new customer offer. She said she couldn't offer anything better than the existing customer deals on their site, I said no, she "went to the manager" and came back again not able to do any deals. So I left it.
    Phoned again on Saturday, asked if they could match Skys fee broadband deal or their own free broadband deal and once again no we can't do that. I said ok, i'll go to sky since you can't do anything for me, was then told the biggest load of lies (sky have 25gb caps on their unlimited broadband, their broadband is really slow even thou it's the same wires).
    So I left and went to sky, got Free broadband for a year (just pay line rental),£100 m&s voucher and £75 cashback from quidco.

So for me at least it seems talktalk doesn't care that much about keeping customers at the moment.
    My views and opinions are my own and do not represent those of my employer(s) or anyone else
  • Thank you for the haggling guide :) just spoke to Virgin who I have been with for ages and just watching the costs spiral. I asked them how much notice I had to give to leave, the lady then asked me why I was thinking of leaving and I told her I couldn't afford it anymore and that I had been looking at Sky offers. I quoted the package costs I had been looking at with Sky and did the silent treatment... she came back to me and offered a broadband upgrade, to keep my XL tv package and unlimited weekend calls to landline and virgin mobile numbers for £60.49 a month on a 12 month contract, but discount to last 18 months. I ummed and ahhed and was then give Sky movies 1 free for 6 months. In all it is saving me £17 a month.
    Thank you!! I'm sure I can make better use of the £204 than Virgin could :j
  • Used to be with Talk Talk Broadband & Line rental but moved to Plusnet Broadband last November after using the tool to locate who to go with to get the highest speed in you area.

Talk Talk speed was a woeful 2mb against Plusnet at 15mb in my area of the home counties.

My Broadband/Line Rental contract isn't up for just under three months but MSE today still quotes the Plusnet Broadband/Line Rental deal as the best currently out there.

I called up Plusnet (took a while to get through - 0800 though) and managed to renew from November 2015 at current line rental price today (due to increase on 1/9/15) and also managed to bag the #1 MSE deal offered ONLY TO NEWBIES as an existing customer and also even bagged the £75 cashback offer as well. :)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Neil_R wrote: »
    Used to be with Talk Talk Broadband & Line rental but moved to Plusnet Broadband last November after using the tool to locate who to go with to get the highest speed in you area.

Talk Talk speed was a woeful 2mb against Plusnet at 15mb in my area of the home counties.

My Broadband/Line Rental contract isn't up for just under three months but MSE today still quotes the Plusnet Broadband/Line Rental deal as the best currently out there.

I called up Plusnet (took a while to get through - 0800 though) and managed to renew from November 2015 at current line rental price today (due to increase on 1/9/15) and also managed to bag the #1 MSE deal offered ONLY TO NEWBIES as an existing customer and also even bagged the £75 cashback offer as well. :)

I've just left (or an in the process of leaving) PlusNet. The long wait on hold is sadly not a one-off or just for the 0800 number, it suddenly got worse when they cut the opening hours of their customer service times around July sort of time. It used to be a very short wait when I tried to call them but since then I've not waited anything less than 45 minutes to get put through and twice been accidentally hung up on, meaning I had to call back and try waiting again... Don't sign up if you hate waiting on hold for a very long time.

I just wanted to add to your post that yes the price you have for the line rental is low for this month but unless you are paying the upfront annual cost in one go, your line rental will still go up alongside everyone else's from the 1st of September so if you did want to keep the prices low for the line rental, pay in advance before Tuesday.
  • I was previously on free unlimited broadband and only paying for line rental. I threatened to leave then rejoin Sky next year (so to be eligible for the £75 cashback incentive) and was offered £38 off my bill (two months free linerental). I'll be paying £189ish for broadband for the year (10months linerental @ 18.99)
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Been with Virgin several years and each year threaten to leave and get a slightly better deal.

This year thanks to the Links on MSE i actually took up the BT offer..By Bye Virgin and the operator couldnt have cared less,ok so im really going.

BT fastest speed would be 39MB ish while Virgin was upto 200MB with constant average of 80MB ish.

Retentions phoned today and offer £18.25 per month for 150MB broadband only (ive asked for this for years) and no phoneline.

Never use the phone line...never watch the TV.

Been told time after time you have to have phone line despite it being cable.

So £18.25 down from £40.10 and ive got 1 Month free and second month half price.

Happy with that.;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure