Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 21st Jul 09, 12:45 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Tax Credit Briefing discussion
    • 21st Jul 09, 12:45 PM
    Tax Credit Briefing discussion 21st Jul 09 at 12:45 PM

This is to specifically discuss the

... just click 'post reply' to discuss or comment.
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 15-06-2010 at 1:34 PM.
Page 5
  • evad1791
    how much
    my wife and i look like we`ll be separating and have tried to see how much wtc and ctc shed get on a working week of 16 hrs and a salary of 6000 pounds what i work out is about 2000 pounds on hmr website but other people on other sites in same wage senario are getting 4000 we have 2 children aged 15 and 10,any ideas anyone.
    • happy35
    • By happy35 10th Jan 11, 6:06 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    happy35
    2000 seems very low against a salary of 6000, I would try and ring them to see if one of the advisors can do a calculation for you
  • oh muggy
    I heard somewhere that this years tax credits will take into account savings, if you have more than 16000 you cant claim. Does any one know if this is true?
    • claire111
    • By claire111 19th Jan 11, 12:17 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    claire111
    my wife and i look like we`ll be separating and have tried to see how much wtc and ctc shed get on a working week of 16 hrs and a salary of 6000 pounds what i work out is about 2000 pounds on hmr website but other people on other sites in same wage senario are getting 4000 we have 2 children aged 15 and 10,any ideas anyone.
    Originally posted by evad1791

Approx 160 per week

HTH

MUGGY -This is one of the 'new' rules about savings, to be introduced at a much later date when 'universal credit' is put in place 2013-2017
    Last edited by claire111; 19-01-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    • KevinG
    • By KevinG 19th Jan 11, 7:11 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    KevinG
    MUGGY -This is one of the 'new' rules about savings, to be introduced at a much later date when 'universal credit' is put in place 2013-2017
    Originally posted by claire111
    Do you have a source for this? Thanks.
  • oh muggy
    savings and tax credits
    Thanks for that Claire, I was sweating that it was something on last years form that I'd missed, I was terrified that I'd been overpaid.
    • claire111
    • By claire111 20th Jan 11, 1:38 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    claire111
    Universal Credit
    Do you have a source for this? Thanks.
    Originally posted by KevinG

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare-reform/legislation-and-key-documents/universal-credit/
    • KevinG
    • By KevinG 21st Jan 11, 11:35 AM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    KevinG
    Thanks, I'd seen that page, but do you know which of the many documents linked from there actually mentions the change to the way savings are taken into account for those currently in receipt of Tax Credits? This is a very significant change, particularly in times of low interest rates.
  • oh muggy
    savings and tax credits
    I read through the whole lot - nearly fell asleep at times - and it definitely says that when the universal credits come in all capital over the high limit - but it doesn't give a figure - will be taken into account when working out your entitlement. Any amount of savings between the lower and higher amount will affect how much you get.
    • KevinG
    • By KevinG 21st Jan 11, 3:41 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    KevinG
    I read through the whole lot - nearly fell asleep at times - and it definitely says that when the universal credits come in all capital over the high limit - but it doesn't give a figure - will be taken into account when working out your entitlement. Any amount of savings between the lower and higher amount will affect how much you get.
    Originally posted by oh muggy
    Oh dear, so we'll be back to the notional 10% interest rates no doubt. Much fairer just to take into account the interest from savings (as with Tax Credits), otherwise anyone with savings is just going to blow the lot.
  • DYNAMICPINK
    I have also been on the receiving end of Tax Credits and over payments through no fault of my own. EVERY time I have a change I'm on the phone sometimes to be told I'm informing them to early and have to call back when the change happens!!
    My most current change was my childcare as it decreased-and there I was informing them asap. I waited 6 weeks and still no Credits change through my bank so as per usual I phoned back to ask what was happening and the reply was it hadn't be passed on to the appropriate department and they admitted that I had phone when I said I had so this would be processed that day. No apology or nothing. To the result there was an over payment due by me at a cost of 200 less a month from August-April when it then increases again.
    This has happened to me before and im ALWAYS re-phoning about a claim to avoid over payments. I always panic in case they say they have no record of me phoning and overpayment due.
    Some people say they hate change and if they've dealt with the Inland Revenue's useless Tax Credit system time and time again it should be a recognized phobia.
    So, the question is, where do we stand when its their fault they haven't dealt with our changes? We still get penalized for it, one rule for us, a million for them!!
  • goldie2k9
    hello, im writing this on behalf of a friend who isn't registered here, her problem is this;

for the last year and a half her oldest daughter (now 14) has been in care of the local social work for on average 4 days per week with the other 3 spent with the mother at her home address, she would like to know if it is still legal for her to claim child tax for her as like i said, she lives with her 3 days per week and she is in the "home" voluntarily, hopefully someone here can help as she is very worried about this
  • ashmount
    hi. i have been overpaid tax credits, 11500. Tax credits claim i was living with a ptnr at time of claim but i was not, he was in another part of the country. i cannot provide proof of a different address for ptnr as he lived in a B&B near to work site. i have an IVA in place and am at my wits end, have only 8 weeks to pay it all back. so stressed and unhappy, am unable to work. please help.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 1st Mar 11, 7:57 AM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    shaggy
    hi. i have been overpaid tax credits, 11500. Tax credits claim i was living with a ptnr at time of claim but i was not, he was in another part of the country. i cannot provide proof of a different address for ptnr as he lived in a B&B near to work site. i have an IVA in place and am at my wits end, have only 8 weeks to pay it all back. so stressed and unhappy, am unable to work. please help.
    Originally posted by ashmount
    I really feel for you

You really need to take your case to the local Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • joanneg1982
    i need some advice please.... we always update our claim, we have 2 small children and both work... i changed jobs and told them of the new employer and childcare cost. this was 4 weeks ago now and have heard that my work details have been updated but not our childcare, im really struggling to pay nursery and all i keep being told is to call 0845 600 5264 i have been trying this for over 2 weeks now and havent once gotten through. they just keep saying things have to be checked now (?) werent they before?! nursery say they havent been contacted. many thanks in advance.... joanne
  • googlegal
    New Rules
    Hi,

I am hoping to be in a position to move from a part time job @ 18.5 hrs to a full time job @ 37hrs with considerable childcare costs and currently am a lone parent with 2 children under 16. I want to make sure I can afford t make the change.

I am trying to work out how the new CTC and WTC regulations from April will affect me a) on my current income of 8900 and b) if I am successful, on my new income of 18,000.

I tried the website from Martin's link but it would only calculate the figure until April this year.

Can anyone point me towards a website/calculator or give me some general advice or do I need to keep trying to get through to the helpline?

Many thanks,

Does anyone know of a good link/
    • Mollycat13
    • By Mollycat13 8th Mar 11, 12:48 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Mollycat13
    Do you have a figure for childcare charges at both your current hours and new hours.

I've made a spreadsheet which will work it out.

Are there any disabilities? If so, my s/sheet won't work.
  • googlegal
    Hi Mollycat,

My childcare figures average out at 10 per week at the moment but will be 54 on my new hours. There are no disabilities to take into account. I think I have worked it out to be favourable for the first year, and unfavourable for he second as I think working tax credit will go.

Sandy
    • Mollycat13
    • By Mollycat13 9th Mar 11, 9:42 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Mollycat13
    Hi Sandy,

If you stayed on your current hours, I believe you tax credits would be 170.62

If you took the new hours, after the first year, it would be approx 144.86 based on 2011/12 tax credit figures.

I'm afraid the changeover still confuses me as to what income they would use. Need to research it a bit more.

Hope this helps.
  • louise1070
    Contacting Tax Credit Helpline
    I'm fuming....have just rung the Tax Credit Helpline for the 8th time this year to try to update my details. They tell me that I've been transferred to another team but wont tell me which team or why I've been moved. The number they provide to contact this new team comes up as 'temporarily invalid' and wont connect (0845 600 4165) and I'm simply told to keep trying.....I've fed up and the only reason I continue with these imbeciles is that I know my details are completely wrong and they making my payments based on wrong information but I can't get through to them to change it....aarrrgghhhh....anyone any suggestions????
    Last edited by louise1070; 28-03-2011 at 1:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,552Posts Today

8,422Users online

Martin's Twitter