Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 21st Jul 09, 12:45 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Tax Credit Briefing discussion
    • 21st Jul 09, 12:45 PM
    Tax Credit Briefing discussion 21st Jul 09 at 12:45 PM

This is to specifically discuss the

... just click 'post reply' to discuss or comment.
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 15-06-2010 at 1:34 PM.
Page 15
    • Alice Walker
    • By Alice Walker 5th Aug 16, 12:05 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Alice Walker
    Call me cynical, but I find it very interesting how HMRC (just like DLA) seem to conveniently 'lose' any letters you send them and also send so many letters that you never receive ....
    "You did not reply to the letter we sent...." - the one I never received?
    Yet if you call them and tell them you never received a letter then that one arrives within a couple days as if by magic.
    Today I received a letter from HMRC saying that I had not responded to their letter from a month ago requesting evidence of income and as such they have made a decision based on the (incorrect) information they had. However, I had sent original P60,payslip,covering letters etc within a day of receiving it. I had also sent it recorded delivery. So imagine my surprise/confusion (and annoyance) when I called them and they said they would look through my documents and get back to me. They had them there the whole time, scanned in on their system. So they weren't even lost! Someone had just decided to completely ignore their existence to change my tax credits award. Wasting my time, more of their time, more unnecessary correspondence and causing me undue stress (thinking originally they'd lost all my docs) and inconvenience of having to chase it up.
    Yes I'm putting a complaint in, I'm not sure what I want the resolution to be though.
    Originally posted by Targettsright
    An apology? Mistakes happen, there doesn't appear to be anything malicious in the way your claim has been handled.

HMRC (and the DWP) send and receive thousands of letters each day. The number that are lost, or documents filed incorrectly, is actually very low. You don't hear when things work correctly because people don't post/ moan about that.
    • kim2013
    • By kim2013 27th Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kim2013
    Tax Credits - Income on P60 or total income
    This year I've been told we've been overpaid. My husband was without work from October to April & I work 22 hours a week. I don't know whether or not this is why we've been overpaid as for a period I was the sole worker & work less than 24 hours. Does anyone know? When I completed the renewal form I put in my husband's total salary for this year (2016-17) & my income from my P60. When I contacted them to say that the income would be less for my husband as he won't have worked for a full tax year, they said it's the total income before any deductions were made. When I mentioned my income was from my P60, the adviser then said that my income should be 20% more, so it's the total salary. I've now received another letter to say we've been overpaid even more. Should it be the income from my P60 or not? The income I gave for my partner for 2015-16 was from his P45 & this is considerably less. Can anyone help?
    • kim2013
    • By kim2013 27th Sep 16, 1:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kim2013
    Tax Credits - Income on P60 or total income?
    This year I've been told we've been overpaid. My husband was without work from October to April & I work 22 hours a week. I don't know whether or not this is why we've been overpaid as for a period I was the sole worker & work less than 24 hours. Does anyone know? When I completed the renewal form I put in my husband's total salary for this year (2016-17) & my income from my P60. When I contacted them to say that the income would be less for my husband as he won't have worked for a full tax year, they said it's the total income before any deductions were made. When I mentioned my income was from my P60, the adviser then said that my income should be 20% more, so it's the total salary. I've now received another letter to say we've been overpaid even more. Should it be the income from my P60 or not? The income I gave for my partner for 2015-16 was from his P45 & this is considerably less. Can anyone help?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 27th Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    • 12,399 Posts
    • 8,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    This year I've been told we've been overpaid. My husband was without work from October to April & I work 22 hours a week. I don't know whether or not this is why we've been overpaid as for a period I was the sole worker & work less than 24 hours. Does anyone know? When I completed the renewal form I put in my husband's total salary for this year (2016-17)& my income from my P60. When I contacted them to say that the income would be less for my husband as he won't have worked for a full tax year, they said it's the total income before any deductions were made. When I mentioned my income was from my P60, the adviser then said that my income should be 20% more, so it's the total salary. I've now received another letter to say we've been overpaid even more. Should it be the income from my P60 or not? The income I gave for my partner for 2015-16 was from his P45 & this is considerably less. Can anyone help?
    Originally posted by kim2013
    Did your partner receive JSA between October and April? did you include this amount in his income?
    Your P60 should have shown the full income pre deductions (gross) and after (net) which number did you use?
    • Tross16
    • By Tross16 14th Jan 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tross16
    Form confusion
    Hi I'm a bit useless with this stuff so this might seem like a silly question but I'm confused as how to fill in my working hours. It says to put down the hours I was working before going on maternity leave (I was full time) however when I return to work I will only be going back part time so I will be entitled to a different amount of tax credits. What do I do?! Fill in the hours before or after maternity leave or just wait until I'm back at work? Thanks.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 14th Jan 17, 9:23 AM
    • 5,378 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Hi I'm a bit useless with this stuff so this might seem like a silly question but I'm confused as how to fill in my working hours. It says to put down the hours I was working before going on maternity leave (I was full time) however when I return to work I will only be going back part time so I will be entitled to a different amount of tax credits. What do I do?! Fill in the hours before or after maternity leave or just wait until I'm back at work? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Tross16
    You put the hours you are currently contracted to. When you change your hours you call them and tell them.
    • alduncan
    • By alduncan 29th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    alduncan
    Declare personal allowance interest on tax credits form?
    I'm a bit confused. Now there is a tax-free personal allowance for savings interest, do I still need to declare the interest on all our interest (minus 300), or is that now counted tax-free (like money in an ISA which I'm told to disregard), and I don't need to declare it (up to 1000)?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 29th Jun 17, 9:08 PM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,075 Thanks
    zagfles
    I'm a bit confused. Now there is a tax-free personal allowance for savings interest, do I still need to declare the interest on all our interest (minus 300), or is that now counted tax-free (like money in an ISA which I'm told to disregard), and I don't need to declare it (up to 1000)?
    Originally posted by alduncan
    Yes. It's taxable income even if it isn't taxed, a bit like income within your personal allowance.
    • captainbeaker
    • By captainbeaker 2nd Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    captainbeaker
    Does anyone know how long it is taking to process child tax credits at the moment? Will it be done before the end of July cut off for returns?
    We did ours online about 3 weeks ago and checked online and said it is being processed.
    • fryster2006
    • By fryster2006 20th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    fryster2006
    Feedback on using the online service to report changes: I used it to inform them that my 16 year old son was staying on in college from September, this was done as soon as we received the provisional letter, final award letter hasn't acknowledged this. Also phoned to change bank details as couldn't see a way to report it online and again this hasn't happened (we've had 2 payments into old account since informing them).
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 20th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 5,378 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    Feedback on using the online service to report changes: I used it to inform them that my 16 year old son was staying on in college from September, this was done as soon as we received the provisional letter, final award letter hasn't acknowledged this. Also phoned to change bank details as couldn't see a way to report it online and again this hasn't happened (we've had 2 payments into old account since informing them).
    Originally posted by fryster2006
    what do you mean the final award hasn't acknowledged the change to your child's education? The final award is for last year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,802Posts Today

9,020Users online

Martin's Twitter