50 Overseas Travel Tips - official forum discussion

Comments

• One thing missing from the list is the option to exchange homes with a couple/family at the location you are going to. For the cost of travelling there (see the tips for cheap travel listed here) you get to stay in a proper home in a local community.

We have done this and exchanged cars at both ends as well (inform your insurance company ......and the house insurers), so local travel has been taken care of as well.

You get to stay in a community instead of a soulless hotel and in fact get to know their neighbours better that the people you have swapped with!

There are many sites to sign up to for exchanges but viewing of properties available at different locations is freely available on the site before signing up.

So, for the cost of getting there and the usual day to day living expenses you can explore a completely different part of the world.

It is better to be flexible about where you want to go and timing as as there may not be availability at your chosen location at the time you would like.

But it is still worth a look.

Oliver10
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Take photo copies of all passports, either keep a copy of every person in the groups documents in everyone's luggage, or keep a copy of somebody elses in your luggage, on arrival, take the copies with you as proof of ID, rather than take the originals out with you where they can get lost.
    Put one change of clothing for another party member In another persons luggage, the if your luggage goes missing, you have one change of clothes at least. Same goes for any medicines
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • pthompson
    pthompson Posts: 139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd normally bring plenty of wine, oil and cheese back from our annual trip by car to south Italy, but this year we're going by plane (for the first time in 20 years), so am thinking about sending the goodies by courier instead.

On a more general note,
    has anyone considered the relative costs of sending their luggage via courier rather than as checked-in baggage?

Thanks, Paul.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Best way to avoid overloading your luggage on the way home is to take old clothes with you, wear them once more then throw them away, this has the advantage of freeing up extra space in your luggage as well as not having to carry dirty laundry home.
  • If you hire a car abroad get a chain to put the key on, they give you only one and will charge you about £120 if you loose it and it will save alot of time and frustration. My one reaches from a belt loop to the ignition to save keep undoing it
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2013 at 8:03AM
    My top 10 tips for travelling in no specific order.

1. Book direct with Airlines not through travel agents.
    2. Carry the right cards and as many back-ups as possible.
    3. Travel as light as possible with as few expensive items as possible.
    4. Email document back-ups to your own email.
    5. Carry photos + Jpegs of your bag in case it goes walkabout.
    6. Make sure you are insured (+EHIC where needed)
    7. Take unlocked PAYG phone to use local sims.
    8. Take minimum of shoes, they are heavy and bulky.
    9. Take plastic bags to pack wet/dirty clothes in when moving on.
    10a Check all bookings/passports/dates etc 3 times at least well in advance)
    10b. Travel only with the right person(s)
    10c. Don't be afraid to tell touts/conmen to F off.
    10d Rough guides etc are big and heavy, only take the pages you need.
    10e. Have a plan B in case a flight/ferry of whatever is delayed.
    19f. Always arrive VERY early for flights.
    10g. Never let on you know Bob the Saver
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Raksha wrote: »
    Take photo copies of all passports, either keep a copy of every person in the groups documents in everyone's luggage, or keep a copy of somebody elses in your luggage, on arrival, take the copies with you as proof of ID, rather than take the originals out with you where they can get lost.

I recommend scanning your passports and emailing scans to yourself so they can be accessed anywhere in the world if you lose the originals.

You can also easily convert the scans to pdfs which can be stored on your Kindle. This can be done with any travel documents (car hire, hotel confirmations etc)
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Backbiter wrote: »

You can also easily convert the scans to pdfs which can be stored on your Kindle.)

Kindle, phone, MP3 player, camera etc.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My top 10 tips ...
    Looks like your top 16 to me! :p:)
  • pjsmiffy
    pjsmiffy Posts: 61 Forumite
    Hi Just got off the phone from Halifax re informing them that I would be going away with my Halifax Clarity card (Keeps them from blocking the account from fraud)
    The gent in the call center said that although the rule if strictly applied ban me from keeping a cash (Credit) balance on the card they would not stop me putting a few hundred on the card to be drawn out in Euros when I land. This would avoid the 13% a year interest (although it works out at about only £1/£100 on the card for a month)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback