DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Hi guys, decided to take the plunge this week after 2 years worth of debts mounting up. Similar to the post above im getting a bit anxious now as the 20th is the day I get paid and normally the day payments get taken from me and I am really not sure how my creditors are going to react.

SC are still in the process of setting my DMP up and to my knowledge havent contacted my creditors yet. When should I start contacting them? and what am I to expect when they dont get their usual payment? What I dont understand is if SC contact them and I contact them telling them of my new payment plan why do they continue to persist with chase letters? I think my biggest fear is if they attempt to contact me in work or something similar has anyone had any past experience of this and how to avoid it?

Same advice as the previous poster regarding contact, writing only.

You need to write to all of your creditors, stating the following:

1: That you're in financial distress and are setting up a DMP with Stepchange
    2: In order to assist, request that all debt accounts, including charges and interest be frozen, so that a DMP can be successful.
    3: That you will not accept any other form of communication than writing, and Stepchange will be in touch with details of your DMP payment details in due course.

Guidance states that creditors are not allowed to contact your employer to chase debt, so don't worry about that. If you get calls after the DMP is set up, reject them and block the numbers.

Edit: Cross-Post with Sourcrates.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Hi Meme1962

I hope you don't mind me replying to your post. I just wanted to let you know there's a basic bank account list here on our website. You can use this to help you decide which bank to open a new account with.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your DMP.

Linsi
    Meme1962 wrote: »
    Hi, new to all this and today I spoke to Step Change and filed for a DMP, I need to set up a basic bank account so looking for some advice on accounts other than Lloyds or HSBC, can anyone help please.
  • Yeah my letters stated I want only written communication etc:) Just makes me nervous my phone constantly going off!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Yeah my letters stated I want only written communication etc:) Just makes me nervous my phone constantly going off!

Block them on your mobile, you can do the same on the house phone dependent on your provider.

There are various systems and methods to block unwanted calls, some free, some you pay for.

You are in control of who you choose to speak too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • StopIt
    Yeah my letters stated I want only written communication etc:) Just makes me nervous my phone constantly going off!
    If you have a smartphone, both Android and iOS can block numbers with a push of a button.

Don't be nervous, just get on with things and they'll take the hint when their calls hit a brick wall.

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • StopIt wrote: »
    Same advice as the previous poster regarding contact, writing only.

You need to write to all of your creditors, stating the following:

1: That you're in financial distress and are setting up a DMP with Stepchange
    2: In order to assist, request that all debt accounts, including charges and interest be frozen, so that a DMP can be successful.
    3: That you will not accept any other form of communication than writing, and Stepchange will be in touch with details of your DMP payment details in due course.

Guidance states that creditors are not allowed to contact your employer to chase debt, so don't worry about that. If you get calls after the DMP is set up, reject them and block the numbers.

Edit: Cross-Post with Sourcrates.

Thanks for this, that's the first plunge taken and all creditors now informed!
  • Regarding phone calls - I have found that it doesn't really happen.
    Yes the odd one, but it's not like as soon as you stop paying the bombard you, it tends to be more in letter form anyway.
    I too worried so much, but honestly there is no need. If they do call, simply ask for them to remove your number and contact you via post.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well -it's official. I am now self-managing our DMP having received confirmation from StepChange that they will be closing our account and wishing us well for the future. Whilst it feels good to be back in complete control of our finances - I have to say I'm feeling a little trepidation at the prospect, but am hoping that will soon pass.

Just waiting to get some sort of acknowledgement from Link that they are handling the CCA requests (PRA have done so) and I need to inform the two other remaining creditors that I will be making payments direct from now on (they'll be finished in a couple of months).

So far so good :j
  • StopIt
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    Well -it's official. I am now self-managing our DMP having received confirmation from StepChange that they will be closing our account and wishing us well for the future. Whilst it feels good to be back in complete control of our finances - I have to say I'm feeling a little trepidation at the prospect, but am hoping that will soon pass.

Just waiting to get some sort of acknowledgement from Link that they are handling the CCA requests (PRA have done so) and I need to inform the two other remaining creditors that I will be making payments direct from now on (they'll be finished in a couple of months).

So far so good :j
    Good luck!

In reality, CCA request results aside, you'll likely find very little difference between Stepchange and Self managed.

After all, they still get their money in the same way. Creditors see very little difference between the two, but for you, it gives you back control of your finances.

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Regarding phone calls - I have found that it doesn't really happen.
    Yes the odd one, but it's not like as soon as you stop paying the bombard you, it tends to be more in letter form anyway.
    I too worried so much, but honestly there is no need. If they do call, simply ask for them to remove your number and contact you via post.

In a way, all you guys are quite lucky, creditors/DCA`s treat people who are in arrears a LOT differently nowadays, than say ten years ago.

When i was in your shoes, calls were persistent, every hour, virtually, of every day except sundays (they must of been at church lol) letters i could paper the walls with, it was never ending.

Luckily since then, the FSA has cracked down on the industry, as a lot of companies were simply flouting the good debt collection practice rules, and just saying and doing what they pleased, thankfully those days have been consigned to the history books, and the way you are treated now could not be more different.

So there really is no need to worry about been in debt , whatever your repayment proposals are, they will be accepted these days without much questioning, affordability and treating customers fairly are top agendas now, otherwise they face more regulation, and big fines from the FSA.

You've never had it so good !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure