DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• purplepaws
    purplepaws Posts: 76
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Meme1962 wrote: »
    Hi, new to all this and today I spoke to Step Change and filed for a DMP, I need to set up a basic bank account so looking for some advice on accounts other than Lloyds or HSBC, can anyone help please.
    Hello Meme1962
    Co-op do a very basic current account, called Cashminder. They will want you to have a savings account along side it, this is called a Smartsaver. Online, mobile and phone banking available with it, so not that basic, but no overdraft, cheque book etc. You can transfer money between each account - making it easier to move money into the Smartsaver for your emergency fund!
    Good luck.
    DMP launched 04/07/17 left to pay = £14,238.79 (£16,982.82 original debt.) Thanks to MSE & all you wonderful Forum Peeps!:T
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Julie67 wrote: »
    I've had a reply from one of our creditors who have previously wrote to say our debt is unenforceable (we are unable to supply a copy of the credit agreement and acknowledge until we do so the debt cannot be enforced That was 1st June.
    Today I've received a letter saying we are contacting you as the full balance is now due. It gives me 7 days to respond and to prevent further recovery action.
    The amount is £3400 with Idem (Sold on from Halifax)
    Do I just ignore it or remind them they can't enforce it? First one I have had to deal with that is unenforceable so want to get it right.

I would say they are just trying it on. They've told you that they cannot enforce the debt -but that doesn't mean the debt goes away. I reckon the letter you've received is just a computer generated jobby because you've stopped paying. I would write back with a copy of their original letter about the UE status and do one of two things - either say that until they are in a position to prove the debt is enforceable you will no longer engage with them on the matter, or do as others might suggest and offer and F&F (using the template you can get from the NEDCAB site so the wording is right). The balls in your court :)
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,342
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Julie67 wrote: »
    I've had a reply from one of our creditors who have previously wrote to say our debt is unenforceable (we are unable to supply a copy of the credit agreement and acknowledge until we do so the debt cannot be enforced That was 1st June.
    Today I've received a letter saying we are contacting you as the full balance is now due. It gives me 7 days to respond and to prevent further recovery action.
    The amount is £3400 with Idem (Sold on from Halifax)
    Do I just ignore it or remind them they can't enforce it? First one I have had to deal with that is unenforceable so want to get it right.

It's just a standard letter.

But no harm in writing politely to point out that they have deemed this one unenforceable and that you are now prioritising your debts accordingly.

As you have several enforceable debts you are turning your efforts to them and will not be making payment to this one.

If they persist with letters, then ignore them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 14 July 2017 at 8:25AM
    Meme1962 wrote: »
    Hi, new to all this and today I spoke to Step Change and filed for a DMP, I need to set up a basic bank account so looking for some advice on accounts other than Lloyds or HSBC, can anyone help please.

Well done on taking that first step on your way to debt-freedom:T:beer:. Welcome to the thread. Please keep posting to update us on your progress and to ask about anything that's puzzling/bothering you.

I've got a Nationwide FlexBasic account as have several other posters on here. No frills but has a debit card though no chequebook (but who uses cheques these days anyway?). I can certainly recommend it. It can be applied for online.
  • vaper
    vaper Posts: 105 Forumite
    I've got the nationwide flex account too. Also TSB, (I panicked and opened loads while I could).
    Recommend both and the TSB was so easy to open, did it all online, no paperwork needed or anything.
    Don't put menthol vape juice in your eyes!!!
  • Leanneglos1
    Leanneglos1 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Hi all, I keep posting questions so apologies in advance, I'm approaching my first payday without paying my creditors and starting to feel very anxious and nervous about it all, I've sent letters to creditors explaining my situation and confirming l will be paying £1 token payments, I know come the 20th when I get paid and my creditors don't my phone will be inundated, what advice can people give me for handling these calls, do I answer, do I answer creditors who have acknowledged my letter or only answer and speak with creditors who havnt, what should I say? I'm dreading these calls but know they will come so any help is much appreciated:)
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Hi all, I keep posting questions so apologies in advance, I'm approaching my first payday without paying my creditors and starting to feel very anxious and nervous about it all, I've sent letters to creditors explaining my situation and confirming l will be paying £1 token payments, I know come the 20th when I get paid and my creditors don't my phone will be inundated, what advice can people give me for handling these calls, do I answer, do I answer creditors who have acknowledged my letter or only answer and speak with creditors who havnt, what should I say? I'm dreading these calls but know they will come so any help is much appreciated:)

Without seeing the letters you have sent, I can only advise that you should have told all of the creditors that you'll be dealing in writing only.

Reject any calls, and block the numbers. If they want you, they'll write as phone calls are not a method of formal communication. You need everything in writing to avoid mis-communication from both sides.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Hi guys, decided to take the plunge this week after 2 years worth of debts mounting up. Similar to the post above im getting a bit anxious now as the 20th is the day I get paid and normally the day payments get taken from me and I am really not sure how my creditors are going to react.

SC are still in the process of setting my DMP up and to my knowledge havent contacted my creditors yet. When should I start contacting them? and what am I to expect when they dont get their usual payment? What I dont understand is if SC contact them and I contact them telling them of my new payment plan why do they continue to persist with chase letters? I think my biggest fear is if they attempt to contact me in work or something similar has anyone had any past experience of this and how to avoid it?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador

Block numbers, or simply dont answer.

As stop it says, deal only in writing.

Its not an issue unless you make it one.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi guys, decided to take the plunge this week after 2 years worth of debts mounting up. Similar to the post above im getting a bit anxious now as the 20th is the day I get paid and normally the day payments get taken from me and I am really not sure how my creditors are going to react.

SC are still in the process of setting my DMP up and to my knowledge havent contacted my creditors yet. When should I start contacting them? and what am I to expect when they dont get their usual payment? What I dont understand is if SC contact them and I contact them telling them of my new payment plan why do they continue to persist with chase letters? I think my biggest fear is if they attempt to contact me in work or something similar has anyone had any past experience of this and how to avoid it?

Hi,

I know this is a long thread, but all the information you could ever want about DMP`s in contained within it, and previous threads.

Take a bit of time and look through them, see how other people have dealt with matters.

In answer to your specific questions, for your part, you can write to each creditor explaining your entering a DMP, ask them to stop interest and charges, to contact you in writing only and remove phone numbers from their systems.

These are large organisations, you will be dealing with only one moving cog, within a very big wheel, so you will get specific letters, about your situation, and also non specific ones, that are computer generated, which wont take your DMP into account.

So when you get a letter, read it, if its a general, why have you not paid letter, recycle bin, if its specific to your situation, take note of it, simple really.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure