DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    vaper wrote: »
    Hi folks.
    Sorry, stupid morbid question coming up.
    Am I right in thinking if anything happened to me my CC debts would automatically pass to my husband?
    THank's
    Vaper

No, not at all.

Unsecured debts end with the person who has them, unless if they're in joint names.

Any assets however could be claimable but that's for the wills lot here at MSE really!

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    vaper wrote: »
    Hi folks.
    Sorry, stupid morbid question coming up.
    Am I right in thinking if anything happened to me my CC debts would automatically pass to my husband?
    THank's
    Vaper

Debt in your own name dies with you.

Debt does not transfer to anyone else, even though some unscrupulous companies would have you believe so.

Only the debtor named on the agreement is liable.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    motivated wrote: »
    Hi all
    Quick question from me. After writing to Halifax (again) telling them that I will be paying token payments etc. Today I received 2 letters regarding 2 loans. My question is, have I now been defaulted? The letters read.........M
    I believe this is the notice they have to send you before they can issue a default, so not defaulted yet but in theory you should be after the date in the letter if you don't pay the requested amount. I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong!
    sourcrates wrote: »
    That's correct yes.
    Although they don't always go through with there threats, best to check your credit file in a couple of months to confirm the account has been defaulted or contact the creditor after the 28th for confirmation.

Hi motivated Leanne is correct, that's exactly what I got from Halifax back in 2013 a few months in to the DMP and do take Sourcrates advice to check back to confirm the account has indeed been defaulted. I had real trouble with Halifax, they sent the 'Default' warning more than once but didn't actually default the account. That only happened when they sold my debt on to Wescott DCA over a year later! It was only recently -having cleared the balance -that I decided to go back and fight for a backdated default, which I did get. So do stay on top of this.
  • Suseka97
    Forumite
    A quick update on my CCA requests -sent about a week ago.

PRA Group have responded with the standard 'we will investigate and the accounts will be put on hold until further notice...' type letter. They also returned the £1 postal orders. I guess they are getting quite used to these types of requests now, to have responded with a first stage letter so quickly.

Waiting now to hear from Link Financial -but from what I've read from others is that their responses vary - so watch this space!

No response from Stepchange so far re my letter saying we are going self-managed, but I have cancelled the direct debit now anyway.

Hope everyone is having a good day - it's dreary and grey around these parts.
  • Hi
    Sorry to post this again but keen to send off letters

Also I have another question regarding making settlement offers. I have an amount of money which I have split fairly between my creditors, using the calculator on the NEDCAB website.
    Should I include the other offers I am making, and the full amount I am splitting between the creditors or just the offer to that creditor? Is it better that they see the full amount of money I have to offer and how it is being split or not?

Many thanks
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    Hi
    Sorry to post this again but keen to send off letters

Also I have another question regarding making settlement offers. I have an amount of money which I have split fairly between my creditors, using the calculator on the NEDCAB website.
    Should I include the other offers I am making, and the full amount I am splitting between the creditors or just the offer to that creditor? Is it better that they see the full amount of money I have to offer and how it is being split or not?

Many thanks

Keep your cards close to your chest Harry lad !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Suseka97
    Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Keep your cards close to your chest Harry lad !!!

I'm with sourcrates - don't share more than you need to. The NEDCAB calculator is for your benefit and can help you decide the best allocation, but you can choose to split your money any which way you choose.
  • Hi guys, so I've sent off my letters explaining I will be entering a DMP, my original letters to my creditors did state it would be with SC but I've since decided to do it alone, my letters stated of my financial difficulty and that I would be making £1 payments for a 6 month period, I've had some responses (hitachi giving me 30 days and first direct 60 days to sort things out)
    Question 1. A loan I had with ratesetter- sent letter they responded asking me to complete I&E and provide 2 months bank statements, I replied via letter with my own I&E info bit did not provide bank statements, since that I've received further letter asking for bank statements and if they don't receive them they will follow their normal collections process, what do you think I should do? Just leave it, respond??
    Question 2- letters were sent approx 2 weeks ago, not yet had a response from 4 creditors, should I chase this and if so how, or do I just leave it?
    Feeling a bit uneasy and unsure so any advice would be great:)
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    Hi guys, so I've sent off my letters explaining I will be entering a DMP, my original letters to my creditors did state it would be with SC but I've since decided to do it alone, my letters stated of my financial difficulty and that I would be making £1 payments for a 6 month period, I've had some responses (hitachi giving me 30 days and first direct 60 days to sort things out)
    Question 1. A loan I had with ratesetter- sent letter they responded asking me to complete I&E and provide 2 months bank statements, I replied via letter with my own I&E info bit did not provide bank statements, since that I've received further letter asking for bank statements and if they don't receive them they will follow their normal collections process, what do you think I should do? Just leave it, respond??
    Question 2- letters were sent approx 2 weeks ago, not yet had a response from 4 creditors, should I chase this and if so how, or do I just leave it?
    Feeling a bit uneasy and unsure so any advice would be great:)

Creditors arnt always in a hurry to respond, some may not even bother acknowledging your letter.

Just make your payment every month and don't worry about if they will accept it or not.

Dont bother filling in there paperwork either.

As I've said before if they don't like it, they will sell on the debt, it makes no difference to you at all.

Just pay what you have proposed regardless.
  • Leanneglos1
    Leanneglos1 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Thank you, at what point do you think I should second a follow up letter to confirm I will now be going self managed, either with proposed payment or explaining I will still only be able to make payments of £1, I just want to keep all creditors in the loop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure