Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• philtrick123
    Options
    If you're looking for the best price then ring around all the suppliers, get their best price in writing (email). Make sure you include the tank rental cost in your figures. I did this on an excel sheet.
    When did this last year Calor was offering a credit which made it the best deal.
    Then go back to incumbent supplier and ask if they'll beat the deal.

I arranged to switch to Calor and then Flogas came back to me again and offered an even better deal, so I stayed with them. Good job I had an email with the deal on, they didn't want to honor it come bill time.
  • philtrick123
    Options
    Slightly off topic- I'm trying to get a price from Flogas to change my (unsightly) above ground bulk tank to an Underground tank. I know I've got to get the (very big) hole dug and the pipe trench dug to the house.
    Any ideas on what I'll be charged. Pipe to the house is ~25 meters.
    Calor has a £1500 offer for a UG tank installation.
  • richbeth
    richbeth Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 April 2018 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Slightly off topic- I'm trying to get a price from Flogas to change my (unsightly) above ground bulk tank to an Underground tank. I know I've got to get the (very big) hole dug and the pipe trench dug to the house.
    Any ideas on what I'll be charged. Pipe to the house is ~25 meters.
    Calor has a £1500 offer for a UG tank installation.

Hi,
    we did this a year or two ago.

First of all you need to check what is/isn't included in the price. We got a new tank and connection for free but had to do the earthworks ourselves but we negotiated this at renewal time. As our neighbour has a digger that wasn't a problem so it IIRC only cost us about £5-600, this was for the gravel, ducting and the digger driver.

It's easiest if your underground tank will be close to the existing but not in the same place, purely for logistics purposes as you can dig the hole etc without having to disconnect your existing tank. Otherwise you will need a temporary supply which the LPG company will provide, it's just one of the portable red tanks. Note that it is quite a big hole and is messy work so is best done when it's dry and you may need to make an allowance for making good afterwards.

This is a quick list of work and estimated costs, but it depends on whether you can find someone to do half a day with a digger and the prices are based upon local costs here in Somerset, if someone has a minimum charge of a day it will obviously increase costs. Note that we ran ducting through the trench to provide flexibility for the future, the LPG pipe runs through the ducting so can easily be changed in future without having to dig another trench.

Dig hole and new trench to stopcock - est full day ca £450 inc digger hire with driver
    LPG ducting ca £50
    new tank supplied and dropped into place - no charge from supplier
    New tank connected to stopcock - no charge from supplier (pipework included)
    LPG pumped from old tank to new - no charge from supplier
    Remove old tank - no charge from supplier
    ca 5 tonnes pebbles to cover tank - ca £2-300
    fill hole with soil and pebbles - ca half day with a digger ca £250
    removal of excess soil from original hole - TBC depends if you can just spread it around

so it would have cost us a minimum of £1k if we had to hire a digger.

Note that you will need to add soil to the top of the tank and level off after ca 12 months as everything settles.

It was worth it for us as the old tank was not compliant with regs so we could not change supplier whereas the new underground tank is obviously fully compliant so we could negotiate a better deal.
    R
  • bobmac62
    bobmac62 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Woldlink LPG Price for April is 28.95ppl down from 28.99ppl in March. Spend the saving wisely!
  • philtrick123
    Options
    richbeth wrote: »
    Hi,
    we did this a year or two ago.

First of all you need to check what is/isn't included in the price. We got a new tank and connection for free but had to do the earthworks ourselves but we negotiated this at renewal time. As our neighbour has a digger that wasn't a problem so it IIRC only cost us about £5-600, this was for the gravel, ducting and the digger driver.

It's easiest if your underground tank will be close to the existing but not in the same place, purely for logistics purposes as you can dig the hole etc without having to disconnect your existing tank. Otherwise you will need a temporary supply which the LPG company will provide, it's just one of the portable red tanks. Note that it is quite a big hole and is messy work so is best done when it's dry and you may need to make an allowance for making good afterwards.

This is a quick list of work and estimated costs, but it depends on whether you can find someone to do half a day with a digger and the prices are based upon local costs here in Somerset, if someone has a minimum charge of a day it will obviously increase costs. Note that we ran ducting through the trench to provide flexibility for the future, the LPG pipe runs through the ducting so can easily be changed in future without having to dig another trench.

Dig hole and new trench to stopcock - est full day ca £450 inc digger hire with driver
    LPG ducting ca £50
    new tank supplied and dropped into place - no charge from supplier
    New tank connected to stopcock - no charge from supplier (pipework included)
    LPG pumped from old tank to new - no charge from supplier
    Remove old tank - no charge from supplier
    ca 5 tonnes pebbles to cover tank - ca £2-300
    fill hole with soil and pebbles - ca half day with a digger ca £250
    removal of excess soil from original hole - TBC depends if you can just spread it around

so it would have cost us a minimum of £1k if we had to hire a digger.

Note that you will need to add soil to the top of the tank and level off after ca 12 months as everything settles.

It was worth it for us as the old tank was not compliant with regs so we could not change supplier whereas the new underground tank is obviously fully compliant so we could negotiate a better deal.
    R

Really really helpful. The new ug tank is 7 metres past the existing tank. I could reconnect the new tank to the existing pipe to the house, but I need to also move the pipe as it enters the house because I've new foundations going in.
    Do you have a spec for the duct you put the lpg pipe into? I understand it needs to be buried to 600mm depth. I'm thinking it's going to be easier to put a completely new line into the house.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Really really helpful. The new ug tank is 7 metres past the existing tank. I could reconnect the new tank to the existing pipe to the house, but I need to also move the pipe as it enters the house because I've new foundations going in.
    Do you have a spec for the duct you put the lpg pipe into? I understand it needs to be buried to 600mm depth. I'm thinking it's going to be easier to put a completely new line into the house.
    Talk to your supplier and find out where the line lies as to what they need you to do, and what they'll do.

When we moved here, we moved the overground tank. All we needed to do was put a concrete slab in the right place, and dig a trench from slab to the existing pipe. Calor did the entirety of the rest of the work for "free" - all covered by the tank rental price.

From memory it cost us about a hundred quid for about 1m3 part-load of readymix, and fifty quid to rent a minidigger from a local farmer for a day. The rest was DIY and quite good fun... Let's just say that the slab drains quite nicely... and that we found (both halves of) the existing pipe with the digger, the easy way...

I doubt there's a big difference with an underground tank - you provide the hole with the right base, and a trench. They do the rest. A big theoretical difference... The hole is going to be very different. Minidiggers are fun.
  • richbeth
    richbeth Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Hi,
    It's like this
    https://www.draindepot.co.uk/60mm-x-50m-yellow-perforated-gas-pipe-duct.html

we just went to the local builders merchant and they have a variety of ducting, one was specifically for gas. As you can see it's bright yellow and wider than the one we used for cables (which is black). Note that a 25 M roll will take a lot of space so unless you have a trailer you will probably need to have it delivered. We couldn't fit in the back of a Landrover.

FYI We were with CountryWide and they did provide a spec sheet for the hole, trench etc I'm sure you know they have very strict regulations on LPG pipes and how they go through walls/foundations, we actually re-routed a pipe so that it was obvious it didn't go under the wall as one supplier said it might not be compliant so they wouldn't take us on.

As AdrianC says you could potentially do the digging yourself but the hole is pretty deep and needs to be dug quite precisely, including with a ledge for safety purposes and a level bottom. I guess the depth is probably the biggest challenge as the digger is reaching a long way whilst being near the edge of the hole. We also knew there were various pipes between the tank and the house, including the mains water, so decided it was better to pay for a driver. If you know a friendly farmer or builder with a digger they will do it for a few quid and you can save a lot of money. Our biggest cost was the ballast.
    R
  • philtrick123
    Options
    richbeth wrote: »
    Hi,

FYI We were with CountryWide and they did provide a spec sheet for the hole, trench etc I'm sure you know they have very strict regulations on LPG pipes and how they go through walls/foundations, we actually re-routed a pipe so that it was obvious it didn't go under the wall as one supplier said it might not be compliant so they wouldn't take us on.

As AdrianC says you could potentially do the digging yourself but the hole is pretty deep and needs to be dug quite precisely, including with a ledge for safety purposes and a level bottom. I guess the depth is probably the biggest challenge as the digger is reaching a long way whilst being near the edge of the hole. We also knew there were various pipes between the tank and the house, including the mains water, so decided it was better to pay for a driver. If you know a friendly farmer or builder with a digger they will do it for a few quid and you can save a lot of money. Our biggest cost was the ballast.
    R
    Thanks again.
    Just got the price back from Flogas, and it's £1200 for replacing the existing 1400 litre above ground tank with a new 2200 Litre UG tank. This includes 30 metres of pipework to the house and the regulators etc.
    I went to local builders merchant. They quoted £44 for a tonne (big bulk bag) of pea size ballast. The same price for sharp sand. Because I have an account it includes free delivery.
    I'm building an extension on my house so I'll need to hire a digger for the foundations, which can also be used for the tank pit. As you mentioned, I need to really think about a suitable digger because the area is just big enough for the 3 metre safety zone around the filling point.
    I also need to think about getting rid of the waste soil- there's going to be a lot.
    My builder said I could do with checking with the local authorities about what's under the surface- clay or chalk or worse, rock!
    I'll post some updates here if anyone is interested.
    It's going to be an expensive first fill of the 2200 tank even after they transfer what's left in the other tank. At least its at 30ppl until November.
  • Scanny88
    Options
    Hiya, does anyone park above their underground tank or know if it is safe to do. Regulations state it cannot be x distance to a fixed source of ignition but a car is not fixed.....probably a silly question
  • philtrick123
    Options
    The spec sheet for the UG tank specifically says you cannot lay a hard surface over the tank, and you cannot park or drive over tank for obvious reasons.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback