Totally loved the "A" for advents ...

Options
124»

Comments

• Surfermom
    Surfermom Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Not taking any side here but just a question for those who comp by end date. If you wish to enter dailies, why don't you regularly check the dailies thread then you won't miss anything.

I enter from the start of the board but I still check the dailies every few days in case I've missed anything. It's just a click of the button and takes seconds, how can posting comps with a 'D' make things any easier?

I also think that some people are totally ignoring the fact that Glad has said changing the way comps are listed will make more work for the board guides. Does nobody care about this?
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anyway, regardless of the number of votes, in any proper circumstances the "poll" would be considered invalid because the answer options are clearly not balanced and are designed to elicit one response rather than be (however limited) a true gauge of opinion.
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,462 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to all the positive comments. I can see that people would rather adopt a posting option that nobody voted for.
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
  • SaraKeer
    SaraKeer Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Moneybot wrote: »
    So what? If you are end date comping that means you will have missed every day but the last day.

Many end daters would indeed miss every day but the last day (or last few days). It's one of the biggest frustrations of end dating.

Many end daters wouldn't like the different letter idea - because rather than managing to enter them once (or a few times if they stay a couple of days ahead) they might miss them completely as they would be out of sync on the main board.

Ok for advents because there are lots of them and all type of compers are geared up for checking a separate advents area but for ad hoc dailies and weeklies it would be more annoying and they might easily forget to look for them.

Another frustration is that there is no differentiation between the 2 different types of daily comps on here (ones that allow daily entries to the same comp, or a series of comps running over a number of days for like a week or so).

The former, should definitely be posted as one thread, the latter should really be posted as separate threads from an end dater's point of view.
    Surfermom wrote: »
    Not taking any side here but just a question for those who comp by end date. If you wish to enter dailies, why don't you regularly check the dailies thread then you won't miss anything.

I would imagine a lot of end daters end date because they have limited time so never manage to clear the board. This limited time can make it a stress to clear a particular day against the clock and it's easy to forget/not get time to check somewhere else.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 January 2018 at 11:41AM
    Options
    I don't know if you'll ever get a consensus on this, it was the same with the A for advents, it took a lot of trying to point out the benefits before people reluctantly accepted it and a lot of the arguments people were raising were pretty unrealistic in a "what if" type scenario.

There's talk about people not having much time to check the end of the board for another letter, but if they don't have time to do that then they don't have time to go check the Reg's board either so it shouldn't make a difference (I'm assuming this post is about getting rid of the Regular Competitions forum?).

It's the same for End Date compers ... End Daters don't generally have time to catch up so i doubt they look at the Regs forum either. (and end daters would only ever see the Mag Dailies on the end date if they were end dating anyway, so what's the problem?)

Having an O: D: M: (or whatever they are) might be a bit much, so maybe if you keep it to D: (Daily) and then have keep the (Mag Daily) at the end (Ongoing) type thing (I guess you'd need a weekly too), I don't do the Mags or the dailies so I'm not the best person to comment.

I said I wasn't posting in here anymore but I'll make an exception here 'cause we just seem to be going round in circles and as with the advents a lot of the points raised aren't even valid.
  • Zanzib
    Zanzib Posts: 5,375 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2018 at 10:28PM
    Options
    As an end date comper more often at this time of year, I try to visit at least once or twice a week and get as far ahead as I can.

I keep my own links to the daily mags to save time, but only do a couple of other daily's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure