DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you to everyone to replied.
    Another question sorry... I’ve seen people have been doing token amounts for over a year. This is with step change? I had to fight to have two reduced payments. How do you get stepchange to agree to this? Thank you!

I went self managed to move to longer term token payments. SC are ok if you want a short term reduction in payments to creditors, but anything more than a couple of months and they are not very supportive.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Anniee88 wrote: »
    I’ve read about CCA requests but someone said there’s no point doing one if the debt is post 2007 because it’s not valid or something? Is this right? My debts have only just gone to DCA so it doesn’t apply to me yet but I’m just thinking down the line if I need to send one but all are 203-2015 opened.

You should do it its never to early to do it. If you read this forum companies have a poor record of keeping paperwork ........I would give it a go you have nothing to lose
  • Billy12345 wrote: »
    Hi all

I've just had a call from PRA Group wanting to discuss my Barclaycard debt with them. They asked for personal information to confirm it was me and I politely told them I don't give out personal information over the phone.

They are updating their system and will write instead.

I agree that PRA seems to have bought a bulk of debt so wonder if they offer good F&F's hmmmm

I have found PRA very good to deal with. They are quite passive in terms of agreeing fixed monthly sums, even getting in touch with me to query if I could afford the sum I was paying (I had doubled our monthly payment without telling them). What I have found is that by the time your debt is sold to someone like PRA or IDEM then the interest has been frozen and any F&F settlement is equal to the balance of what you owe
    August 2011 - Total Debts - £47,352.12
    November 2018 - Total Debts - £0:beer:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Anniee88 wrote: »
    I’ve read about CCA requests but someone said there’s no point doing one if the debt is post 2007 because it’s not valid or something? Is this right? My debts have only just gone to DCA so it doesn’t apply to me yet but I’m just thinking down the line if I need to send one but all are 203-2015 opened.

Don’t know where you heard that, but it’s complete nonsense.

You would expect a creditor to be able to comply where more recent debts are concerned, but you would be amazed how bad some creditors housekeeping actually is.

You can make a sec 77/79 request at any time, as long as a balance remains on your account, it’s primarily used as a means of proving a debtors liability or gaining information about your credit accounts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • January2015
    Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »

You would expect a creditor to be able to comply where more recent debts are concerned, but you would be amazed how bad some creditors housekeeping actually is.

You can make a sec 77/79 request at any time, as long as a balance remains on your account, it’s primarily used as a means of proving a debtors liability or gaining information about your credit accounts.

Hi Sourcrates

I sent of a host of CCA requests back in early 2016. For two of them (same creditor) the DCA regularly writes and states they are still waiting for the original creditor to provide the information.

My question is - I've stopped paying them anything for these 2 debts, pending receipt of the CCA stuff. If I stop contacting them altogether does this start the statute barred clock ticking as well?

To be honest I don't think I have contacted them since the CCA request anyway, but it just occurred to me I might be on to another route to get rid of these 2 debts if they can't produce anything.

These debts are from 2012 and 2015. It would be lovely as they are a big chunk of our outstanding balance :D
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,116
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    One of my debts is being handled by Moorcroft. All ticking along nicely. This week however, I have had 2/3 messages per day left on my phone asking me to call.
    I had originally stated letter contact only. I’m thinking I may need to call and re-iterate that, maybe it’s a new team dealing?!
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    sourcrates wrote: »

It was on a forum (maybe mse can’t remember) somewhere but that’s a great help thanks for clarifying :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Ok.....question about moving house whilst on a DMP. Has anybody every done that?
    Our mortgage does NOT form part of our DMP and we have never ever missed a payment in the 20 years we have had a mortgage.
    We desperately want to downsize to help save money....cheaper mortgage, council tax and heating bills. Also we are finding it hard to keep up with all the housework, gardening and decorating etc these days. the house is far too big for us now.
    We still have a mortgage of approx. 67,000 and think we could sell for approx 155,000 and looking to move to something around 140000 or less. So we would still need a mortgage...currently our mortgage is due to finish in about 7 years
    So.....what are the chances we could do this? I am imagining that we wouldn't stand a chance of getting a mortgage. Anybody any thoughts on it. ??

Just popping this post up again in case it got lost in the masses...does anyone have any experience of this?
  • January2015
    Forumite
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Just popping this post up again in case it got lost in the masses...does anyone have any experience of this?

I haven't done this - or even thought about it to be honest. But my thoughts (for what they are worth :rotfl:) are:
    1. Could you talk to your existing lender about 'porting' your existing mortage?
    2. Talk to your existing lender about a better rate
    3. Have you considered the fees and charges you will have to pay for selling and buying? They will eat up a lot of the £15k you will have from selling at £155k and buying at £140k. Does this make it worth doing?
    4. I believe it is possible to get a mortgage whilst on a DMP and brokers are probably the best people to go through to find one. Be warned though, the interest rates are likely to reflect your poor credit rating. Again, does this make it worth considering the move?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi Sourcrates

I sent of a host of CCA requests back in early 2016. For two of them (same creditor) the DCA regularly writes and states they are still waiting for the original creditor to provide the information.

My question is - I've stopped paying them anything for these 2 debts, pending receipt of the CCA stuff. If I stop contacting them altogether does this start the statute barred clock ticking as well?

To be honest I don't think I have contacted them since the CCA request anyway, but it just occurred to me I might be on to another route to get rid of these 2 debts if they can't produce anything.

These debts are from 2012 and 2015. It would be lovely as they are a big chunk of our outstanding balance :D

Yes that’s correct.

A CCA does not nessessarily admit liability either, if correctly worded.

So your clock may of started ticking earlier than you think.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure