PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Shropshirelass
    Options
    Among other conditions, deterioration of the spine, and osteoporosis play a big factor in the posture of older people.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'd agree with thriftwizard's mum. We often pass people out running in rain and gales and I think they are just asking for pneumonia or bronchitis for a start, then later on the worn joints. I think people used to be thinner and fitter because they walked more and ate less :)
  • Shropshirelass
    Shropshirelass Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 9 January 2018 at 3:45PM
    Options
    Yes Mardatha and the food was not full of unknown fats, sugars, added vitamins (because the natural goodness is processed out), and colouring to make it look like recognisable food.

Looking at old photos recently, it's noticeable how OH has lost height in the last 20 years. He used to be 5 " taller than me, now barely the same height. At 79, he is 9 years older than I am. Right knee replacement, left knee going same way, deterioration of lower spine - his Dad had a furniture shop, from early teenage, OH and his brother were helping deliver beds and wardrobes. It's classed as 'wear and tear' ...
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I lost nearly an inch in height last year when I fractured a vertebra. I was in a back brace for three months and it kept it fairly straight but my upper back is getting a bit curved. My jackets ride up at the back hem now. It’s genetics and luck

My hip is fine because I do so much walking but it’s very hard to get enough weight bearing exercise to maintain the density in your spine if you are predisposed to osteoporosis
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh and I think her Madge does a lot of riding even now
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wonder how we'll all look if we're lucky enough to make our 90 something birthdays? I know some 90+ folks in the village and some are hale and hearty, living independent and active lives, still riding bikes and playing tennis, others are mentally very alert and tuned in (two of them have the most wicked sense of humour) but are deteriorating physically and one walks with a stick and the other a small wheeled frame but they still DO walk every day and meet friends in the bakery for coffee and go to WI and church, local pub meals etc. it's an object lesson not to moan on achy joint days or when life isn't going the way I want it to as I've never heard any of them moan and they are always smiling!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2018 at 5:31PM
    Options
    I'm not keen on how I look now personally - and won't look if I can possibly help it already and my reason for watching re "hunching" is purely and simply down to posture (and not health considerations - though I've shrunk a bit:mad::(). But I've got a friend that "tells me off" every time I "hunch" - as she knows I've got no reason for it.

I don't want to (as in - I'm very very against doing so myself indeed:eek:) reach 90 personally - so am not going to worry about that. Each to their own - but not for me personally.

I think it's so sad to see what seems to happen to darn nearly every British person as they get to be elderly and I've spent literally many years watching my own parents in ever-decreasing health so Extreme Old Age is something I don't want for myself just in case (because I am struggling to think of anyone in this country that manages that unscathed).

We've all got our own individual limits about what we would put up with and these may or may not be "conscious" and I know many would put up with things I wouldnt personally and it's probably down to just "accepting what you get", rather than a conscious decision as to whether to "accept what you get" or no. Each to their own.

I think the default setting for many is to think we'd all like long lives. It's my birthday today - and I've now started telling people "Please don't wish me MANY Happy Returns. Wish me "Happy Birthday" - but cut out the word "Many" - as I don't want "Many" ". I guess it's a default setting to a lot of people to think others would want the word "Many" - and comes in the same light as there are still people assuming getting married means wanting children or describing a child as a "first child" - and totally unaware that it sounds pressurising to people to have a child/have a second child - when they may have personally decided otherwise.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I walk. That is all. This body wasn't designed to pound the roads. My boobage as a cave woman wouldn't cope with the bouncy bouncy action so am I 'eck putting my modern day self through that.

I do think we should move almost all the time though. Climbing, walking, twisting, wringing, stretching etc.

Happy Birthday money. Are you having a good one? :)
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy birthday MITSTM, have a lovely evening! :beer:

I think the Queen looks like a beautiful, well-groomed ninety year old :)

Very few of us will have the same WOW! factor at ninety that we had at nineteen :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »

Happy Birthday money. Are you having a good one? :)

Thanks.

Had a birthday lunch out today with the "best friend I've made here" - so some wine might have been consumed:beer:. We buy each other pressies at Christmas and birthday - but more valuable to me today was that she offered to do a task for me that I would struggle with to the extent I was all set to pay someone to do it for me. So she's saved me the hassle/expense of that:D. It's nice when someone thinks of you...

I'd thought my mother had forgotten about her usual "ring daughter first thing on her birthday" that she does - but it turned out there was a good reason for that. However, her memory is going to the extent that even she admits it these days - and I've now had 2 birthday cards and 2 cheques from her for it:(. Worrying - as I know how her much older sister went latterly - as in she'd "gone" mentally a while before the end and my mother has had a much more stressful life than Older Sister and I've been watching this going on for years now...while my mother wouldnt admit that the reason we were remembering things differently was because she wasnt remembering "what actually happened" correctly sometimes.

Anyway - lunch out was a case of us both ignoring the fact that Aussie Flu is doing the rounds (though neither of us has heard of anyone round here with it yet).

After reading a newspaper article today about a woman with it saying it's "very painful/more painful than childbirth" and me thinking "How can flu be painful??? I've had it once and it wasnt" - I've looked out the recipe for Thieves Oil and shall be making up some as a preventative measure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure