PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    22) box of chocs taken in to work
    23) box of books packed up in DS room
    24) bag of clothes packed up in DS room

Next time he visits I am going to dump them on his car bonnet:rotfl:
  • Didn't stick to plan today, but got some decluttering done. Went through DD's drawer with tops in it and she got rid of old or "no longer fashionable, even though she loved it 6 months ago" ones. All ready to leave the house tomorrow. We put away her remaining Christmas pressies, so quite a bit of packaging in recycling. Not too much stuff, mainly toiletries, make up and gift cards or cash nowadays. I don't miss the days of endless toys :-).
    Where did that weekend go?
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • Do you have a food bin collection? Or a compost bin/heap?
    Shredded paper can't be recycled with other paper (my understanding is that it's because shredding makes the fibres too short) but we can put shredded paper in our food bin which goes for composting

Food bin is being used as a bird food container! It is a tiny bin so the amount of shredded paper I am generating would probably take me 3 months to get rid of! I sometimes use shredded paper for wormery and compost bins.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mrs SD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 January 2018 at 2:27AM
    I don't miss the days of endless toys :-).
    Where did that weekend go?
    Guineapigsqueaks x

I agree 100percent with both these sentiments :D.

I try to make it a rule that I don't list my "declutters" until they are actually out of the house.It incentivises me to get stuff out quickly instead of driving it around in the car for weeks at a time.
    But tonight I am breaking the rules.I don't think I will get them out of the house until Tuesday,but to go,I have:

84:Why Don't Penguin's Feet Freeze book
    85:a Jacqueline Wilson book
    86-87:2 purses
    88:pencil case
    89:music box
    90:frisbee
    91:voice changer toy
    92:charm bracelet
    93:blue leopardskin handbag
    94:small notepad
    95:hologram bookmark
    96:ruler
    97-98:doll with matching bag
    99-102:4 stuffed toys
    103:tealight set,never opened
    104:6 place coaster and placemat set,never opened
    105:pink sunhat
    106:shallow paper mache box,A4 size
    107:reasonable sized-wicker basket,now able to get rid of after re-arranging storage in cupboard yesterday
    108:gem rock
    109:Jamie Oliver cookbook
    110:child's jumper
    111-112:2 very nice sketch books,given to 11yo,who loved them annd will appreciate them

Recycled:
    113:bundle of 14 home-made flash cards
    114-115:2 inches depth of newspaper clippigs found in cupboard yesterday-mostly crossword/sudoku puzzles kept to do "when I have time".They were dated from 2002 :rotfl::rotfl:

Binned:
    116:a whistle

Will give to a friend who loves and uses stationery:
    117:pretty notepad with sunflowers on
    118:pretty folder of notelets

Will donate to school:
    119:Dobble game
    120:bundle of play money
    121:bundle of 16 coloured pencils
    122:pretty star-shaped box

And out of the loft:

Donated:
    7-21:15 CDs,most in cases
    22:CD holder
    23:portable CD wallet

24:a bundle of paper inserts from cassettte tapes (if ever I find the tapes,they will be binned)
    25:a couple of paper inserts from CDs that have been lost
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Thanks, Saver-Upper for your reply about birthday/Christmas cards from the family.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps them. I've learned to be pretty ruthless in other areas of decluttering.
    I've come a long way from the days when I kept unused stuff for years because it had cost a lot of money, or it would fit me one day, and so on and so on.
    I'll just go on keeping cards, and someone else can deal with them eventually!!
  • 2018saver
    2018saver Posts: 50 Forumite
    Not much done on this front so far today. Just 2 things binned from the boot of the car.
    39/2018
  • mirko
    mirko Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Want to declutter 365 times this year. So here it goes already...

1 - Old batteries into Sainsbury's recycle box.
    2 - Old glasses into Specsaver shop (hope they're not the ones my wife's still using ;))
    3 - Bag of old video games + playing cards taken to the charity shop.

Feels good.
    As of 24/11/2020
    Mort: - £98,200
    CCds: - £1,568.18
    Loan: - £0
    Savings: - £3,500.00
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Ive been slow going, more moving stuff around then removing but made a small start.
    1 recycled all the magazines that have been under the coffee table
    2 re-homed a board game

Boxed in the car for delivery
    3 new hair straightener set.
    4 3 new DVD
    5 lightly used foreman grill
    Someone at work volunteers at a cat charity shop and has kindly offered to take any usable items.

Did say it was slow going :) we've already decluttered the everyday stuff now left with the expensive items, which leaves me in a bit of a quandary, I have stuff like Troika pottery its currently not that fashionable in the auction houses, so can't make up my mind if to just sell it to get rid or hold on and make it my kids issue when the time comes.
    I wouldn't feel guilty about dumping the decision on to them, they know I hold no sentimental value on things, it's a running joke in this house if you stand still long enough your get tidied away
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    7 items from Christmas decorations box into recycling or charity bag. OH took charity bag in to shop this morning as there were already items in it from the end of last year.

Running Total 25/2018
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    noelphobic wrote: »
    29) flowers, dead, put in garden recycling bin

I'm a bit of a numbers nerd (and, allegedly, hoarding comes under the OCD umbrella!) I've worked out that to be on target to dispose of 2018 items I should have got rid of 27.6 by now so I'm pretty much bang on schedule.

I'm also very aware that there is a danger of getting rid of 2018 items and acquiring 2019 so I'm trying to think about what I'm buying and buy less.

On the subject of which, I'm going to Asda tomorrow to click and collect 2 coats. I'll definitely not be keeping both and they have charity recycling bins there so I will do my best to get something to take - I need to have gotten rid of 33.17 items by tomorrow :rotfl:

I'm resisting the urge to count the ins to ensure that there isn't anywhere near 2018, but I know I would drive myself mad in the process:eek:

30/31) cat collars, binned
    32) lip balm, binned
    33) baking tray, rusty, binned
    34) pile of paperwork related to my degree - I graduated 4 years ago - in recycling
    35) de-icer, used up, can put in recycling

I've got a bag of books and a bag of clothes ready to go. Will list them when they're gone.

DS put 2 big bags of Xmas stuff in the loft for me yesterday. There's also 2 bags of decorations and the tree in there and that's all. Made the mistake years ago of putting loads of c**p in there to get it out of the way and it was a nightmare to sort out.

My policy now is only to put in there things that need to be kept but are seldom used. Xmas things are the only things that qualify currently.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport