Anyone here on ESA and doing permitted work?

Options
2»

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    A proof of posting certificate is free and does what you describe.

Recorded Delivery is £1.10 in addition to normal postage (which should be covered by the prepaid envelope). For many on benefits that is not a pittance. You shouldn't be so presumptuous about someone else's financial situation.

it is a pittance compared to losing the benefit.

£1.10 vs losing £70+ a week.

By the way I have spent a lot of years on benefits, so I am talking from experience.

Not spending £1.10 because you think you been clever with money saving so you dont have proof of postage is just silly. Please stop giving the OP bad advice.

Saving money always has to be done intelligently, advocating some to never ever spend without thinking of the repercussions is not sound advice.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    I agree with you, getting a signature at destination is the key thing which special delivery provides. Recorded delivery sometimes doesn't provide that as it goes with normal post. Certificate of posting is free but that doesn't prove it got to destination.

I also send mine by special delivery.

Been honest I have used special delivery at times as well, to send of things like appeal forms, as the consequences of those going missing is huge, normally recorded is enough, but recorded doesnt help if royal mail lose it and it doesnt arrive, whilst special delivery will help in that situation as its actually tracked en route and has delivery garuantuees.

The DWP are known to cancel benefits for what seems very small petty things, they dont have a heart and if they have an opportunity to save money they will do it. One has to be very vigilant when dealing with them.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In no particular order....

1. Send in the form before you start work - have you actually got the offer/promise of a job yet?
    The form can be used for either before you start a job or after you have started a job BUT it is not uncommon for ESA to be suspended if you send the form in after you have started working. No rules about this but can happen.
    If your job falls through then you would not have had any financial loss.

2. Please read the rules carefully. You must work under 16 hrs and earn under a certain amount.

3. Choose what ever method you wish to send the form but telephone to check they have received it.

4. Have you discussed this with your work coach? Would be a good idea. Stress it is a way of testing if you are 'ready' for work.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    2. Please read the rules carefully. You must work under 16 hrs and earn under a certain amount.

That one is absolutely critical. If you get a job working 16 hours per week you will lose your entitlement to ESA. As pmlindyloo put in bold type, it must be under 16 hours. 15 hours and 59 minutes would be absolutely OK, but not just one minute more.

From the gov.uk website "If you do 'permitted work' it won't usually affect your ESA . It's permitted work if both the following apply: you earn up to £120 a week. you work less than 16 hours a week."
  • bluenun
    bluenun Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank-you all for the information.

No I have not had an offer of work or applied for anything yet.
    I have been discussing it with my work coach at the last few meetings.
    She had given me a form telling me about permitted work.

I was given the questionnaire the last time I visited the job centre.
    So I am planning and thinking ahead because I do not want to make any mistakes or errors and be penalised for them.

So thanks for explaining everything to me.
    I had read the form many times but it did not sink in about "under 16 hours", lucky you told me because I was going to try and get 16 hours to start with, I think I will aim for 15 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure