Advise - Immediate Resignation prior to Disiplinary Investigation

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Energize wrote: »
    How does resigning make someone more employable?

Because employers are far less likely to employ someone who was fired for poor performance than someone who resigned for "personal reasons".

The taxpayer benefits because they aren't stuck on JSA forever.

The problem with the whole sanction system is that the dwp are essentially taking the food off someones table for issues that an employer subjectively considered to be misconduct and decided on the mere balance of probability, that isn't acceptable.

It is utter nonsense, you are trying to take a nuanced argument and turn it into a statement that doesn't reflect it as a whole.
    So what your are actually saying is that it is best for people to lie. Great advice. If they want to lie, then they can do so. That doesn't mean they should get befits whilst lying to potential employers. There is no correlation between begging eligible for benefits and lying to potential employers.

I am not convinced that replacing your subjective opinion as to whether someone you have never met should have been dismissed is better than their employers opinion. Could you explain that bit?

It does seem to be the case that your arguments are inconsistent and rather contradictory. Is it the case that you believe that there should be no consequences whatsoever for someone who voluntarily leaves, or is dismissed from, their job? If so, how much taxes are you prepared to pay to support everyone who isn't in work - for whatever reason the chose? 40%? 50%? More?
  • No one is talking about lying, where are you getting this from?

Saying "I resigned" is 100% truth, the employer saying "this employee had great attendance etc" is 100% truth.

I am saying that applying a financial penalty to someone on the basis that their employer said they did something bad is not an acceptable system.

I actually advocate a negative income tax system sangie, I believe getting rid of the job centres and just giving people benefits would bring about enormous savings.
  • Energize wrote: »
    How does resigning make someone more employable?

Because employers are far less likely to employ someone who was fired for poor performance than someone who resigned for "personal reasons".

The taxpayer benefits because they aren't stuck on JSA forever.

No - instead somebody else who didn't do anything they were fired for is. Same cost either way. We don't have full employment, you may have noticed...and even if we did, that would mean somebody would employ people with poor references as they couldn't get better people.
    The problem with the whole sanction system is that the dwp are essentially taking the food off someones table for issues that an employer subjectively considered to be misconduct and decided on the mere balance of probability, that isn't acceptable.

Is it your opinion that the majority of people who are fired are fired for inadequate reasons? That's far from my experience.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    No - instead somebody else who didn't do anything they were fired for is. Same cost either way. We don't have full employment, you may have noticed...and even if we did, that would mean somebody would employ people with poor references as they couldn't get better people.

I simply don't think that pressuring people to stay on until they get fired and a bad reference is in the interest of the taxpayer. Sure at the moment we may not have full employment but that may change over time.
    Is it your opinion that the majority of people who are fired are fired for inadequate reasons? That's far from my experience.

Not at all, I have no opinion either way. I just think that imposing financial penalties on people on the basis of hearsay is not acceptable in a civilized society. In a civil court that rules on the balance of probability they do not take away money that someone needs for food like the dwp does.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    No one is talking about lying, where are you getting this from?

Saying "I resigned" is 100% truth, the employer saying "this employee had great attendance etc" is 100% truth.

I am saying that applying a financial penalty to someone on the basis that their employer said they did something bad is not an acceptable system..

That isn't what you said though. You said that they could claim that they resigned for personal reasons. 100% of the truth is that they resigned before they were dismissed. And the same applies to the employers reference.

The "financial penalty" is not applied "because the employer says they did something bad". Plenty of our members are in exactly that situation and do not get sanctioned. The regulations say that you will get sanctioned if you had no good reason to resign, or if the resignation or dismissal was brought about through your own fault. It's not all on the say so of an employer.

Whilst I am not happy with the way that the benefits system operates, the principle that everyone should work if they are able to is sound. If they are able to afford not to work, then that is their choice, but that choice should not extend to affording not to work in someone else's purse. If there are no consequences at all for not working, then a great deal many more people wouldn't work. That doesn't mean that the system is the best system we could have. But equally, it doesn't mean that a better system would not sanction people.

There are checks in place, and even people who are sanctioned are able to claim some money for food. But if there was no hardship involved, there is also no incentive to avoid sanctions. Any society that intends to thrive needs some checks and balances. You may argue about what these are, but suggesting that there should be none is a recipe for economic disaster.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2017 at 10:21AM
    I simply don't think that pressuring people to stay on until they get fired and a bad reference is in the interest of the taxpayer. Sure at the moment we may not have full employment but that may change over time.

You'll note I pointed out that even if we do, it doesn't change the situation. How is it not in the interests of the tax payer when the person with the bad reference is only going to get a job that somebody would have got anyway? The total number of people on benefits remains the same.
    Not at all, I have no opinion either way. I just think that imposing financial penalties on people on the basis of hearsay is not acceptable in a civilized society. In a civil court that rules on the balance of probability they do not take away money that someone needs for food like the dwp does.

Your whole argument is predicated on the fact that employers routinely fire people for bad reasons - and now you say you don't even believe that is the case?
  • Id have thought it would depend on more what was said...if you told them they were full of hot air and looked like Sloth out of the film Goonies,then id stick around and see what the outcome is.

If you said something really offensive such as skin colour or sexual preference then it would be wise to leave quickly and forgot about them.

When all said and done it sounds like your word against someone else....so what was said that lead to all this drama.
  • Years ago, I walked out of a job because some of the men thought it funny to carry me across the floor inspite of me saying 'no' and being terrified (wasn't a good employer, they had hung another female out of a second story window by the feet, seriously). I went to a job centre and they said I wouldn't be able to claim benefits for six months as I'd left the employer. Why I'd left didn't matter a jot. Had only worked there for 6 months.

I tried to get some agency work got some in the short term and then couldn't get any more (no jobs available). Applied for JSA again and was accepted, as their investigations were based solely on the last place of work. It was only a few weeks later.

Not sure if things have changed since, but it shows you can get JSA in certain circumstances.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

I think it's an indication of the types of employment he has had.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

But no-one is stopping the person finding alternative work.....

The only way that 'food gets taken off the table' is if the person makes that decision themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure