Claim for malicious damages to Financial Ombudsman after denied by Lloyd's insurance

Hi all,
First thanks for your helpful content.
I was using a storage an unit for my small business but one day without any legitimate reason and/or writing 7 days notice (as it is supposed to be in accordance with the company own terms and conditions) the storage company prevent me access to the storage and also caused a business interuption until present (since February 2018).
I made a claim for malicious damage to the storage company/insurance I subscribed too (LLoyd's insurance) but this last denied my claim saying that there is not a malicious damages because there wasn't any physical damages to my items in the storage. Also, after the final decision from Lloyd's I made my claim to the Financial Ombudsman two months ago but I find them a bit slow as I believe my case is obvious.

Also I would like to know if anyone has dealt with these kind of matters or have any advice as I couldn't find similar threads on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Boxxman wrote: »
    I made a claim for malicious damage to the storage company/insurance I subscribed too (LLoyd's insurance) but this last denied my claim saying that there is not a malicious damages because there wasn't any physical damages to my items in the storage.

What was maliciously damaged?
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    They are correct in that it is not a malicious damage claim. Sounds more a legal issue than an insurance one.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Cheapest option for you is to await the FOS adjudication (as no cost to you whatever the outcome)

The only alternative is to pursue your claim through the court, but this will involve you paying court fees up front that you can only recover off the defendant if you win

Before embarking on court action and spending on court fees get proper legal advice on your chances of winning
  • Boxxman
    Boxxman Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 1:32PM
    What was maliciously damaged?

I lost the items in the storage unit (I've been assaulted in the storage by the staff of the storage after the created a fake argument and later advised by the Police to not go back to the storage) as for my safety I had to leave the country (the storage prevent me to have access to my working tools/business items).
    In addition, as stated this matter cause business interruption.
  • Boxxman
    Reardoa wrote: »
    They are correct in that it is not a malicious damage claim. Sounds more a legal issue than an insurance one.

The insurance contract stated :
    2) Insured Perils

Actual physical loss of or damage to Your property caused by fire, lighting, explosion, earthquake, storm, flood, burst &/or leaking pipes, ingress of water or other liquid substance, moth, insect and vermin from an external source, theft accompanied by forcible and violent entry to or exit from the building or storage unit, riot, strike, civil commotion, malicious damage and impact by railway rolling stock, vehicles or aircraft and where Our forklift service has been provided to You, damage to Your property as a result of impact occuring during the process of loading and / or unloading, by AA(1)L employees only.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I cant see anything in post #1 that is covered by what is stated in post #6.

You may have a contractual claim against the company but I can't see that it will be covered by the insurance.
  • Boxxman
    Quentin wrote: »
    Cheapest option for you is to await the FOS adjudication (as no cost to you whatever the outcome)

My worries is that the process with the FOS maybe slow (two months now that I made my claim to them and they said that until present they are "waiting for the file from the insurance"). It is now three months that I had to stop working due to this matter.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Has any damage occurred?
  • Boxxman
    molerat wrote: »
    I cant see anything in post #1 that is covered by what is stated in post #6.

You may have a contractual claim against the company but I can't see that it will be covered by the insurance.

As stated in post the breach their own terms and agreements by not respecting the 7 notice (which must equally provided in writing).

They prevent me access to storage without notice the same the cleared more than 200 pounds from my bank account for the next months storage.
  • Boxxman
    edited 14 May 2018 at 1:51PM
    rs65 wrote: »
    Has any damage occurred?

My items in the unit storage are losts, and I have to close my business due to business interuption.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure