Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • scheming_gypsy
    I wish to re-open this thread and amaze people to the fact that . . . . even today i.e. after 3yrs of opening this thread I am still searching for a 2-slice Toaster that will fit large slices of bread (not thick slices) !! .

Can someone suggest me a low-priced yet good quality 2-slice toaster that can take Warbutons Toastie that comes in their larger pack version?

Thanks,
    Vish.
    Originally posted by crazyvish

Asda do a 4 slice toaster that does the easy enough, you just have to put the bread in on its side.
  • jules030867
    Our old toaster is getting a bit temperamental and we are looking for a new one. Problem is none of them seem to be deep enough to fit the large bread you get nowadays. Does anyone know of one that fits large bread vertically - at the moment we have a 2-slot 4 slice toaster and you have to put the bread in sideways so you can only get two slices in!

Joe
    Originally posted by TheFlyingGerbil

We always have this problem too as manufacturers only appear to consider the thickness of the bread slice rather than the height of the slice! Out of sheer frustration we took a tape measure with us to all the electrical shops to measure the slots and the only toaster we have found so far that will fit bread such as warburtons 'toastie' or 'farmhouse' is the Russell Hobbs Classic toaster. It's not very stylish but it does fit the bread in, it seems unbelieveable that top end manufacturers like Dualit still cannot make a toaster that does the job.
    • chinagirl
    • By chinagirl 23rd Jun 11, 5:51 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    chinagirl
    I recommend Aldi stainless steel 2 x slice toaster. It has lovely wide slots and can even toast crumpets or toasted sandwiches with ease. Oh and best bit, it only cost me 12.99.
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
    • melsmiff
    • By melsmiff 6th Dec 11, 2:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    melsmiff
    Toaster
    Apparently the Tefal King Size Toaster toast slices up to 15cm x 15cm! Not too expensive either!
    • FrugalFriend
    • By FrugalFriend 6th Dec 11, 2:52 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    FrugalFriend
    I learned a bit about this over the years. First as a few people have already said, you don't need to spend a lot to get a toaster for thick slices. Many cheap toasters take thicker sliced bread. Just look for a wide slot opening.

Second, I've also found expensive is not always better. I bought one of those fancy, four slice Tefal (yes Tefal) toasters, that take thick slices. It was stylish, chrome and black, had angled slots, with 2 separate controls (so you could toast just 2 slices). It worked great, and then ..... BROKE after a few years use.

By contrast, I also have a basic Swan brand toaster that still works perfectly after 15 years! I now only buy basic toasters.
    • Lifeforms
    • By Lifeforms 30th Dec 11, 11:50 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    Lifeforms
    My dad is having this problem again, after their old toaster died. I've sent him to look at the Tefal king size one, which is comparably priced. The additional problem they have is that mum has her own (for gluten free breads) so they need a two slice, rather than a 4, and turn it around job. I did wonder if there were any short smaller 2 slice toasters, seeing as her gluten free bread is quite small compared with the normal sized loaves now.
    • SydSnott
    • By SydSnott 17th Jun 19, 12:47 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SydSnott
    I'm here out of frustration at having to return two different machines this week which fail to accomodate a slice from a standard Warburtons 800 gram "Toasty" loaf.
    So many of the contributors here seem to confuse width (thickness of slice) with the flat dimensions of the slice.
    The problem is that so many manufacturers only take into account the US standard slice dimensions which are approx 12cm square and this ofcourse saves them money on materials and makes more profit!
    I am now reduced to traipsing around trhe shops with a slice of Warbies Toastie bread in my pocket, ready to test Toasters before carting them home and back again!
    • spicysanj
    • By spicysanj 17th Jun 19, 4:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spicysanj
    Have you seen this one? It even says big enough for Warburton's slices
    Breville VTT570 Warburton 2 Slice Toaster available at Argos
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th Jun 19, 4:58 PM
    • 9,633 Posts
    • 32,485 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I've an elderly 4 slice Dualit (the sort that seems to have been hammered out of a single chunk of metal, not desperately pretty but scrubs up OK) & it seems to cope fine with the toastie slices.

Were there issues, the teenagers would have yelled by now!

I have to say it was a wedding present & when I see it in Costco they're asking 140 which seems ridiculous, but we're eyeing the silver wedding anniversary & it's never needed maintenance. Cleaning, but not repairing.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 17th Jun 19, 5:04 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 4,763 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Nine year thread resurrection - good searching. I’ve got the old 1990s hewn-from-the-solid Dualit, but in 2-slice. It toasts pretty unevenly tbh. Best toaster i have is an old micromark with very long slots. Takes Warburtons no problem.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 17th Jun 19, 5:09 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 12,109 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-2-Slice-Toaster-Perfect-Warburtons/dp/B00TPM40JQ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=breville+toaster&qid=156079126 2&s=gateway&sr=8-6

gone up a alot on price since I purchased mine but its been going for years and fits a Hovis standard loaf perfectly, whereas other toasters the top section would never fit.
    • SydSnott
    • By SydSnott 28th Jun 19, 12:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SydSnott
    Have you seen this one? It even says big enough for Warburton's slices
    Breville VTT570 Warburton 2 Slice Toaster available at Argos
    Originally posted by spicysanj
    Thanks for that, but it is too expensive and the reviews on other breville machines discourage purchase!
    • Camomile
    • By Camomile 28th Jun 19, 9:21 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Camomile
    Asda had one, 4 slice one, read the comments, people were saying it fits big slices
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,375Posts Today

6,271Users online

Martin's Twitter