Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Stephen Leak
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:40 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:40 AM
    One of those big shiny Dualit or De Longhi ones?
    • frostyspice
    • By frostyspice 6th Feb 08, 8:51 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    frostyspice
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:51 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:51 AM
    My new Russell Hobbs 4-slice stainless steel one isn't too bad for big bread, but I expect you could do better. The more expensive the better, I would have thought. I've recently had a Frigidaire 2-slice one (went back to Robert Dyas after burning everything) and a Morphy Richards 2-slice one and they aren't any good for big bread at all.
    • Pipkin
    • By Pipkin 6th Feb 08, 8:54 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Pipkin
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:54 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 8:54 AM
    We've got a 4 slice Dualit (the older type ones, coloured enamel and chrome, not the newer all one colour ones) and I've never had any bread that didn't fit in it.. even slices of home made bread (and I'm no good at cutting those thin) will fit.

It's not a very moneysaving product though, being expensive, but it looks fab and hopefully will last.

Next feature them in their catalogue now, might be an easier way to get one than initial outlay (it was the only way I could afford one) - again not a very moneysaving ethic though I'm afraid.
    M.A.C.A.W member number 39

Those who are inclined to casual cruelty say that inside a fat girl is a thin girl and a lot of chocolate. Terry Pratchett
  • Stephen Leak
    • 6th Feb 08, 9:52 AM
    • 6th Feb 08, 9:52 AM
    It's not a very moneysaving product though, being expensive, but it looks fab and hopefully will last.
    Originally posted by Pipkin
    If you couldn't find it cheaper elsewhere, and especially if it does outlast the previous cheaper ones, then it is fully compliant with MSE principles.
    • crazyvish
    • By crazyvish 9th Jun 11, 11:05 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    crazyvish
    • 9th Jun 11, 11:05 AM
    The search continues . . . .
    • 9th Jun 11, 11:05 AM
    I wish to re-open this thread and amaze people to the fact that . . . . even today i.e. after 3yrs of opening this thread I am still searching for a 2-slice Toaster that will fit large slices of bread (not thick slices) !! .

Can someone suggest me a low-priced yet good quality 2-slice toaster that can take Warbutons Toastie that comes in their larger pack version?

Thanks,
    Vish.
    • beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 9th Jun 11, 12:30 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    • 9th Jun 11, 12:30 PM
    • 9th Jun 11, 12:30 PM
    If ever you do find one - let us know! I tend to cut the slices in half if they're too "tall" and sometimes won't fit sideways anyway. Problem then is the need to turn everything off and use a knife to extract them when they're ready!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Jun 11, 3:49 PM
    • 19,974 Posts
    • 119,367 Thanks
    maman
    • 9th Jun 11, 3:49 PM
    • 9th Jun 11, 3:49 PM
    I wish to re-open this thread and amaze people to the fact that . . . . even today i.e. after 3yrs of opening this thread I am still searching for a 2-slice Toaster that will fit large slices of bread (not thick slices) !! .

Can someone suggest me a low-priced yet good quality 2-slice toaster that can take Warbutons Toastie that comes in their larger pack version?

Thanks,
    Vish.
    Originally posted by crazyvish
    Might it be worth contacting Warburton's Customer Service and ask them for advice? I'd have thought they'd test the bread before marketing it so they might have a few ideas.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 9th Jun 11, 4:51 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    • 9th Jun 11, 4:51 PM
    • 9th Jun 11, 4:51 PM
    i have a cheapo one that won't fit any thick bread at all i really want to make toasties in those toastie bags but they don't fit, i was looking at a few iin tesco some did look quite thick but they were all really expensive
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • mumoftwo
    • By mumoftwo 9th Jun 11, 5:07 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    mumoftwo
    Especially since they call their bread Warbutons Toastie, you would think it would fit into a toaster unless people still do their toast under the grill?
  • grannigrunt
    Hi Try a Waring toaster. Argos do them. I paid 50 quid for mine ( 4 slice) the other week so they're not cheap but it has a 3 year guarantee and is a bit of a beast! You may be able to get one cheaper on the internet. Got fed up of toasters that either took ages to brown or only toasted one side of bread. This one great.
    • crazyvish
    • By crazyvish 10th Jun 11, 12:48 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    crazyvish
    Might it be worth contacting Warburton's Customer Service and ask them for advice? I'd have thought they'd test the bread before marketing it so they might have a few ideas.
    Originally posted by maman
    I suppose they suggest an expensive one, but is still a good idea to check if they can suggest any cheap one.

I found my local ASDA is doing their own branded large 2-slice white toaster for 9 (in offer at the moment)!! But not sure how good they are. They also come in silver and black for an extra quid.

I am after a stainless steel one though, that co-ordinates with my kitchen.
    • crazyvish
    • By crazyvish 15th Jun 11, 10:23 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    crazyvish
    I finally bought Rusell Hobbs Stylis Toaster from ASDA which is currently on sale for 12!! They had three colours which included Stainless Steel. I still haven't tested but the reviews on Amazon suggest it can handle large slices. Will wait and see when I buy large bread. If it goes wrong, I have 28 days to return
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 15th Jun 11, 1:56 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 20,876 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Tefal used to do a thick n thin toaster years ago - I had one when I was at uni - don't know if they still make it.

The jaws used to close to the size of the bread.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: 89, 489.14 (20.06.2018)
    OP's to Date 6000

Renovation Fund:736.95;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx 2.50 (after microwave purchase
    • jeckyllandhyde
    • By jeckyllandhyde 16th Jun 11, 2:42 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    jeckyllandhyde
    Hi, this is info taken from the which website ... this was the top rated toaster for tall bread but not the top rated overall, reviews were done in April 2010.... hope it helps :

Breville
    PT47
    35.00 Best price found from 5 retailers
    Overall performance: Evenness of toasting: Browning coverage: Speed: Overall versatility: Fitting conventional slices: Fitting tall slices: Fitting wide and long slices: Fitting thick slices: Loading: Unloading: Instructions: Using the browning control: Using the crumb tray: Ease of use: Cleaning: Build quality: 62%
    • outofmoney
    • By outofmoney 16th Jun 11, 2:47 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 2,554 Thanks
    outofmoney
    We have a 4 slice Russell Hobbs one and that takes large slices.
  • inamegajam
    Mum also got hers from ASDA real bargain for about 9-10 quid
    Never play with your Bellybutton your Bum could fall off.
    • jools27
    • By jools27 16th Jun 11, 4:45 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    jools27
    Mine is from ASDA and it only toasts about 2 thirds of warbutons bread slices, its going in the bin as we all just use the grill!
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 17th Jun 11, 9:41 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    This may seem obvious, but my toaster blew up yesterday, and today I used........The Grill in my oven! Perfect colour, and as thick as you want!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Boodle
    Especially since they call their bread Warbutons Toastie, you would think it would fit into a toaster unless people still do their toast under the grill?
    Originally posted by mumoftwo
    I was going to suggest just that I didn't realise it was seen as an old fashioned thing to do. I have a toaster but if have made my own loaf (I cannot cut thin slices lol) then it has never occured to me to be an odd or unecessarily faffy to pop it under the grill
    Love and compassion to all x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,308Posts Today

7,881Users online

Martin's Twitter