Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 15th Apr 05, 4:55 PM
    • 4,896Posts
    • 5,486Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)
    • 15th Apr 05, 4:55 PM
    Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board) 15th Apr 05 at 4:55 PM
    Sounds grand, but it's one of these really thick, cheap soups you could eat with a knife and fork.
    Ingredients

3 tsp Olive Oil
    2 small onions, peeled and chopped
    2 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
    2 lg cans peeled plum tomatoes in juice
    1 lg can chickpeas (drained)
    1 tbsp chpped fresh basil
    grated parmesan
    4 oz Thin Pasta Noodles

Method

Heat oil and cook onion & celery until soft (5-10 mins)

Add tomatoes, simmer for 10 mins

Stir in basil, chick peas and pasta, simmer for 10-15 mins

Serve hot, sprinkled with parmesan.

Absolutely yummy ! Nicked this recipe straight from the back of the pack of noodles, but it's really lovely and very cheap. Oh, but do watch out at end - you may need to add more water as it does start to get very thick and catch. I sometimes add an extra can of chopped tomatoes. Makes loads though.
Page 29
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 15th Jan 09, 7:11 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi kiwifruit,

Those sound lovely! I've added them into the recipe thread so that other Old Stylers can find them more easily.

Pink
    • noonesperfect
    • By noonesperfect 9th Feb 09, 5:25 PM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    noonesperfect
    This is a Delia special - an all in one recipe that I have tried and tested on many an occasion since finding it a while back

Ingredients
    75 g soft butter
    110 g caster sugar
    1 large egg, beaten
    225 g plain flour
    2 level tsp baking powder
    2 medium bananas, peeled
    grated rind 1 orange (I have used a couple of drops of orange extract instead)
    grated rind 1 lemon
    50 g walnuts, chopped (I have successfully used brazil nuts)

Method

Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4, 350 ged F, 180 deg C

Grease a loaf tin, also line the base (I use a 2 lb tin)

Place butter, suger, beaten egg in mixing bowl, sift in flour and baking powder. Whisk together all ingredients - don't worry if it looks too dry at this stage.

Add mashed bananas, orange and lemon rinds and walnuts. Mix thoroughly and add to prepared tin.

Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-55 mins, until it is golden, well risen and springs back. Leave to cool for 10 mins then remove from tin.

Meant to be nice served with butter, but again, I can demolish one of these all to myself so I don't bother with the butter
    Originally posted by Ticklemouse
    I made this today and it's already half gone!!! I used lemon extract and the zest of a mandarin (in the absence of an orange LOL). Because my cooker is a bit slow it took 1hr 15 min to bake (in one of those long silicone loaf moulds roughly equivalent to a 2lb tin, but shallower). It's delicious - much better than most I've come across.
  • gettingricher
    I have never made naan bread before - will try it tomorrow! Thanks
    • kate83
    • By kate83 2nd Mar 09, 10:08 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    kate83
    sweet scrambled eggs
    This is an adapted recipe - can't find it anywhere on net to link to

I tried this recipe this morning and it was yummy! Sounds very odd I know but if you like bread and butter pudding or french toast then it's quite similar really. Good for using up the end of a box of cereal

Serves 1 or 2 people (depends how much of a sweet tooth you've got)

knob of butter (for frying)
    2 large eggs
    1 tbsp milk
    1 or 2 tbsp sugar
    (to taste)
    approx 2 handfuls of cereal (cornflakes/branflakes/rice cripies etc)
    cinnamon (to taste)
    • Add butter in a pan and put on a low heat (I add a little bit of oil to stop it burning)
    • Beat eggs, milk and sugar in a bowl
    • Once butter is foaming, mix the cereal into the egg mix and add to pan
    • Keep stirring until mix is cooked through (cereal will soften and break up - if you want it more crispy add it when the eggs are half cooked instead)
    • Plate up and sprinkle cinnamon on top
    You could also add vanilla extract or cocoa powder to the egg mix. I also thought a big blob of whipped cream or ice cream would finish it off well. Or a spoonful of nutella stirred through near the end.
  • rosieben
    Magic Lemon Pudding
    3 different recipes for Magic Lemon Pudding

Magic Lemon Pudding (1)
    Grease a 2 pint ovenproof dish.

In a large bowl beat together

3oz soft margarine,
    9oz caster sugar,
    3 egg yolks,
    3oz self raising flour,
    grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
    425ml milk.

Don't worry if it looks curdled

Whisk 3 egg whites together until they form soft peaks and fold gently into the lemon mixture.

Pour the mixture into the dish and place the dish in a roasting tin . Pour enough hot water to come halfway up the dish, into the roasting tin and bake for about an hour at around 170 C until pale golden brown.

Serve with cream - the top of the pudding is a light sponge and underneath is a delicious lemon sauce.

Magic Lemon Pudding (2)
    Light, luscious, magic lemon pudding. Very quick and easy to do. Delicious for adults and great fun for the kids to make.

30 min 5 min prep

100 g self raising flour
    100 g butter, softened
    100 g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    1 lemon rind, grated

For the sauce
    75 g caster sugar
    2 teaspoons cornflour
    1 lemon, juice of

Place the Flour, butter, 100g of sugar, lemon rind and the 2 eggs in a bowl or mixer.

Mix or hand whisk together, add a little milk if needed, to make a soft dropping consistency. Place in a greased dish.

Put the juice of a lemon in to a jug and make up to 200ml with boiling water add the sugar and corn flour.

Now this is the magic part. Gently pour ON TOP of the pudding mixture in the dish.

Bake for 25 - 35 mins depending on how deep the dish is on Gas mark 5.It will now be golden and firm on the top and the sauce will be on the bottom.

Serve with Yoghurt or Cream. Enjoy!

Lemon Magic Pudding (3)
    One simple batter produces the magic of both light sponge cake and delicious, creamy pudding.

3 eggs, separated
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup all purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
    3/4 cup milk

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. In separate bowl, stir together sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in lemon rind, juice, butter, milk and egg yolks. Fold beaten whites into lemon mixture.

Pour into greased 1-quart baking dish. Place in pan of hot water to 1-inch depth. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Serve warm or cold.

Makes about 4 servings.

Its so long since I made this and I cant remember which recipe I used, but I know it was lush
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • yummyhoney
    i just made the flapjacks on pg 2 post 35,,and added honey,,i've had 3, little guy has had 2,,i'm only sorry i didnt make more:rolleyes:
  • skipkoo
    great thread :-)
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 10th Oct 09, 10:27 AM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    How can I never have seen this thread? Is it part of an index or is it a mini index? Confused.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Rikki
    • By Rikki 6th Nov 09, 5:51 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    Ham and Cheese Muffin.

2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
    1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
    1/2 tsp paprika (hot)
    80g butter
    6 slices (130g) ham, chopped
    1 1/2 cups (185g) coarsely grated tasty chedder cheese
    1 egg lightly beaten
    1 cup (250ml) milk
    extra paprika

1: Grease 12 hole muffin tin (I use paper cases)
    2: Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl, rub in butter. stir in ham and grated cheese, then egg and milk.
    3: Spoon mixture into preprepared muffin tin,sprinkle with a little extra paprika and bake in a moderate oven (180c / 350-375f / gas4-5) for 20 minutes.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 26th Feb 10, 9:21 PM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 8,767 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    Boost for excellent thread .
  • rosieben
    How can I never have seen this thread? Is it part of an index or is it a mini index? Confused.
    Originally posted by zippychick
    I thought it was listed in Squeaky's Indexed Collections thread but I can't find it. I've put a link to it on the Complete Cooking Collection now. Too good to lose!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Lippycow
    • By Lippycow 27th Feb 10, 10:07 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 934 Thanks
    Lippycow
    SENSATIONAL CUPCAKES with WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING.

These are the best cupcakes i have ever tasted and everytime i make them they don't last the day.

150mls natural yogurt (room temp)
    3 large beaten eggs (room temp)
    175g caster sugar
    140g self raising flour
    100g ground almonds
    175g melted unsalted butter
    1tsp vanilla extract
    1tsp baking powder

Sift flour and baking powder in to mixing bowl,add almonds,sugar, vanilla extract,yoghurt,eggs and melted butter(make sure this is not hot melt on low then set to one side to cool).Fold in the ingredients untill well mixed,do not beat the mixture.Fill muffin cases makes between 15 and 17 cupcakes,and bake for 18-20 mins until golden and springy to the touch.

WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING

100g white chocolate(melted)
    140g unsalted butter
    140g icing sugar

Melt chocolate and set aside to cool,i do this before i start making the cupcakes.Beat butter and icing sugar together then add chocolate spread over cooled cupcakes and enjoy.This makes alot of frosting and i find i have enough if i make up half the recipe,if frosting seems a bit runny place in the fridge to firm up slightly.
    • viv0147
    • By viv0147 28th Aug 10, 3:33 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 9,767 Thanks
    viv0147
    Celery soup is the best soup ever....and I hate raw celery!...

saute half an onion in marge or butter for a minute or so, add the celery which you've sliced pretty thinly across the grain to minimise the strings, cook for 5 minutes without colour

add a level tablespoon of flour

stir and cook for a minute or so

add around 1/2 pint of chicken stock - Knorr is the nicest and 1/2 pint of milk (add less or more depending on how thick it's turning out to be)

cook for around 20 mins until the celery is soft

check the seasoning and add more if need be

whizz in a blender or processor

freezes very well.
    Originally posted by apprentice tycoon
    Well I have to say that soup was fantastic its the first time I have ever made soup it was really easy to do and I really enjoyed it. Thanks
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
    • viv0147
    • By viv0147 30th Aug 10, 2:31 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 9,767 Thanks
    viv0147
    Carrot Soup
    5-6 Carrots
    2 medium sized Potatoes
    red onion
    garlic
    stock cube

Cook the carrots and potatoes until soft (no need to remove the skins off everything just wash well). Can steam / boil / microwave to cook them.

Cook the onion and garlic in a little butter.

Add everything into a blender, add some black pepper and salt.

Add a stock cube to the water that was used to cook the carrots and potatoes (this way you got some of the goodness back that leached out during cooking). Add a little of the stock to the mixture in the blender.

Blend and then serve. Can be frozen once cooked.
    Originally posted by Judi
    I just made it mmmmm delicious Thanks
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 6th Sep 10, 6:43 AM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,129 Thanks
    boultdj
    Bumping this thread,to 1st page.Hope JamesY find's it. Will now lose myself having a read through it.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 28th Nov 10, 10:18 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    Just done this tonight and someone suggested sharing, makes a healthy 6 portions (probably more if you're not a piggy like me as it was yum!) to go with rice or a crusty bread

3 tins or equivalent in dried beans cooked as per instructions - I used cannelini, kidney and butter but you can use any or maybe even some ...lentils too ..... Possibly chick peas
    1 can chopped tomatoes or same in fresh
    One carton of passata
    Can of tomato puree
    250-300g chopped chorizo (lidls is cheapest I think)
    1 onion diced finely
    Little sweetener to take the sharp tomato taste off - honey, sweetener or sugar
    Spice to taste - I used a huge tablespoon of fajita seasoning/texmex from asda, some chopped coriander and a spoon of chilli pur!e .... Plus a bit lol hence too much

Cooked the chorizo off a little first, drained the excess oil, put onion in to soften for 5 mins then threw the rest in and cook for at least 20 minutes. Need to make sure the beans are cooked first or canned as they contain nasty toxins when under cooked which is why I used canned this time but dried tends to be even cheaper. Just served with rice.

Think I might add peppers next time I make it, could be a veggie meal without the chorizo too, adding finely diced carrot, squash, whatever even add quorn or could use chicken, bacon, anything really. You don't need to use as much chorizo, I had one which needed using up but it's such a strong flavour you could use much less or add more beans/tomatoes.

With the rice it cost me £3.80, that was using budget brand where possible and didn't include spices/coriander/sweetener. I used canned beans so dried will likely be cheaper still.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • silvermaid
    Lil_me just found this site and read your recipe and it sounds delish.
    And the celery and carrot soup recipes sound great too.
    I'm just off to look at what is in the fridge to make Soup Special of the week and I know I have a head of celery that needs using up ...
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx
    As Cranky says, "M is for mum, not maid".
  • chella71
    Fab Chicken curry!!

Made this quite a few times now and can't seem to go wrong with it, my two young children love it as the spices are warm rather than hot.

1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    small amount vegetable oil
    chicken, I use breast but could use most cuts
    1 tsp mustard seeds (I'm sure recipe originally asked for yellow or brown but I only had black and that was fine)
    1 tin coconut milk

Marinade

small tsp tumeric
    large tsp ground coriander
    1tsp paprika
    1tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    ½ tsp salt
    75ml/2¾fl oz water

I'm sure with the marinade you could leave out a couple of spices if you don't have them but it really does taste lovely and once you have the spices in you have enough for tonnes of curry

Mix the marinade ingredients together and coat the chicken with it, marinate for as long as you can, if you only have 5 minutes that will do but so will 2 hours

Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds until they start to pop then add the onion and garlic and fry until translucent then add the chicken and all the marinade. Fry over a gentle heat for about 8 minutes before adding the coconut milk. Increase the heat and simmer for around 10 minutes making sure chicken is cooked through
    Serve with whatever you fancy, rice, naan bread or both

Enjoy
    Fan of Money Saving OS
    First mortgage 94,639.49
    Second mortgage £38,133.49 making overpayments of £75 per month from November '10
    • live'n'learn
    • By live'n'learn 5th Jun 11, 12:19 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    live'n'learn
    Anyone got some Recipes to share?
    If anyone has some time on their hands could they add a recipe or 2 just so that i can cook some nice meals for my wife?

Anything would do from a family recipe to something from abroad..
  • kittycat204
    search sites
    seems i can't post links, try the bbc food web site, bbc good food website, food dot com good to know recipe search and uk tv good food website.

thousand to pick from now, have fun. X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin