Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 15th Apr 05, 4:55 PM
    • 4,896Posts
    • 5,486Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)
    • 15th Apr 05, 4:55 PM
    Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board) 15th Apr 05 at 4:55 PM
    Sounds grand, but it's one of these really thick, cheap soups you could eat with a knife and fork.
    Ingredients

3 tsp Olive Oil
    2 small onions, peeled and chopped
    2 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
    2 lg cans peeled plum tomatoes in juice
    1 lg can chickpeas (drained)
    1 tbsp chpped fresh basil
    grated parmesan
    4 oz Thin Pasta Noodles

Method

Heat oil and cook onion & celery until soft (5-10 mins)

Add tomatoes, simmer for 10 mins

Stir in basil, chick peas and pasta, simmer for 10-15 mins

Serve hot, sprinkled with parmesan.

Absolutely yummy ! Nicked this recipe straight from the back of the pack of noodles, but it's really lovely and very cheap. Oh, but do watch out at end - you may need to add more water as it does start to get very thick and catch. I sometimes add an extra can of chopped tomatoes. Makes loads though.
Page 26
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 21st Apr 08, 12:51 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Skinny Muffins
    Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients
    4 eggs
    2 bananas
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 1/3 cup powdered milk
    2 teaspoon baking soda
    4 teaspoons sugar or use sweetner
    1 1/3 cup all bran cereal.

Method
    Preheat oven to 180oc
    Chuck all ingredients in a blender, whizz until smooth.
    Fill a lined muffin tray with the batter halfway up each cup.

Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on your oven.

Serve immediately
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 3rd May 08, 10:26 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Cheese and Bacon Muffins
    1 cup plain flour
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup melted marg or butter
    1 egg

as much grated cheese and cooked bacon as you'd like to add

mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl
    mix all wet ingredients together in a separate bowl
    mix two together
    mix until just blended

Bake in oven at 180oc for 15 - 20 minutes

serve warm

makes 6

I made these tonight with a pack of smartprice back bacon and medium cheddar cheese. nomnomnom

you could add a touch of mustard to enhance the cheese if you wish

Edited to add: you may wish to omit the salt as I have just discovered when the muffins are cold the saltiness may increase due to the bacon
    Last edited by arkonite_babe; 22-05-2008 at 12:38 PM.
  • In Search Of Me
    Breakfast muffins – readers digest recipe

Makes 12 muffins

85g (3oz) plain wholemeal flour
    150g (5 ½ oz) plain white four
    2 tsp bicarb of soda
    pinch salt
    ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    55g (2oz) dark molasses sugar
    30g (1oz) wheat germ
    170g (6 oz) raisins
    225g (8oz) plain low fat yogurt
    4 tbls sunflower oil
    1 egg
    grated zest ½ orange
    3 tsp orange juice

Preheat over to 220 c / 400 F/gm 6
    Grease a 12 cup muffin tray – eash should measure 2 ½ - 3inch approx cup
    Sift both flour, bicarb, salt & cinnamon in a bowl using any leftover bra into the bowl & then stir in sugar, wheatgerm & raisins and make a well in the centre.
    Lightly whisk yogurt, oil & egg then add orange juice & zest. Pour this into try ingredients and stir enough to moisten the ingredients but do not beat or overmix.
    Spoon the mix into the muffin tray equally amongst the cupe. Bake for 15-20 mins or until well risen and just firm to touch. Leave to cool. Best eaten fresh but can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Each muffin has: 180kcal; 4g protein; 5g fat (1g sat fat); 31g carbs (of which 17g sugars) & 2g fibre. Contains vitamin B1, B6, E, Calcium, iron, selenium & zinc!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In Search Of Me
    Cereal bars – readers digest recipe

Makes 14 bars

2 tbsp sunflower seeds
    2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
    2 tbsp linseeds
    2 bananas (about 300g/10 ½ oz) weighed with skins on
    100g/3 ½ oz unsalted butter
    3 tbsp golden syrup
    50g/1 ¾ oz rolled oats
    100g/ 3 ½ oz stoned dried dates, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 180o C/350F/GM4. Grease a 28x18x4cm cake tin & line the bottom with baking parchment.

Roughly chop linseed, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Peel & roughly chop bananas.

Melt butter and golden syrup in a fairly large saucepan & then add the chopped seeds & banana and then add millet flakes, rolled oats and dates. Mix well then add to the tin.

Bake for 30mins or until golden brown. Leave to cool for 5 mins & then mark into 14 bars and cool. Can be kept in airtight tin for 2 days.

Each bar provides: 160kcal; 3g protein; 10g fat (4g saturated); 17g carbs (of which 8g sugars) & 1g fibre
    Contains vitamin A, B,B6, E, copper & zinc

Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In Search Of Me
    Potato bread – readers digest recipe

400g (14oz) floury potato - scrubbed
    700g (1ib 9oz) strong white bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 sachet easy blend yeast – approx 7g
    1 tblsp molasses

Put potatoes in a pan and simmer for 15 minutes until soft – leave skins on and then when cooked remove from water (keep water) and cool and then scrape the skin off (keeping skins on while cooking preserves the nutrients that lie just beneath the skin). Mash well.

In mixing bowl sieve 1ib 5 oz flour, salt & yeast (I used real yeast from the baker – a lump a bit smaller than a tablespoon!) and mix together the add potato and mix in.

In a jug mix 10 fl oz of potato water & molasses which should still be warm. Slowly add to the mix until a soft but not sticky dough consistency is reached.

The knead with some of the remaining flour for 5-10 mins until it goes smooth & elastic (don’t worry if any lumps of potato!). Put in an oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel for 40 mins.

Then knead again for 3 mins and divide mix into two and put into two well greased bread pans. Cover again & let it rise for 20 mins. After 15 mins turn the oven on to 180 c/350F or GM 4 and then put the bread in & cook for 40-45 mins until well risen and brown.

Turn onto wire rack to cool. Can be kept for up to a week.

Each slice (assuming 14 slices per loaf) is 195 kcal/6g protein/1g fat (of which 0% is saturated!) 43g carbs (of which sugars 1g) and 2g fibre.

Note: This is a lovely moist bread that is surprisingly light – less dense than any other HM bread I’ve made yet! Delicious with marmite & honey! (but possibly not on the same slice!!)

• In Search Of Me
    Linseed rolls

250g (9oz) strong plain white flour
    250g (9oz) strong plain brown flour
    ½ tsp salt
    2 tsp fast action dried yeast
    1 tblsp light soft brown sugar
    2 tblsp linseed plus extra to sprinkle
    Approx 300ml (1/2 pint) warm water

Grease or flour 2 baking sheets

Sift white flour & salt into bowl then stir in brow flour, yeast, sugar & linseeds. Make a well in the centre & add enough water to make a soft dough.
    Turn onto floured surface & knead until smooth & elastic. Divide into 12 portions and shape into an ova shape. Place on baking sheet & cover, in a warm place, until doubled in size.
    Preheat oven to 220oc/425f/gm7. Brush rolls with water and sprinkle linseeds just before placing the the oven for 15-20 mins, until risen & golden brown. Transfer to wire rack. Serve warm or cold.

(Taken fro the “Big book of bread…365 recipes, Anne Sheasby)

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th May 08, 5:50 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Barley Water
    Adapted from The New English Table by Rose Prince

Bring to the boil 8 oz of barley in 4 pints of water.
    Simmer for about an hour.
    Strain the liquid off into a big jug.
    Add the juice of 8 oranges and lemons (I used 4 of each but you can use more of one and less of the other) and the zest of 6 of these.
    Stir in 3 heaped tbsp of sugar.
    Chill. Use within 2 days.

Very refreshing
    I've also made a version of this using redcurrant juice, rhubarb is good too.

The cooked barley is good in a salad rather as you would use rice or bulghar.
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 22nd May 08, 11:30 AM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Cheeseburger impossible pie
    1lb lean minced beef
    1/3 cup flour
    1 chopped onion
    2 chopped cloves garlic
    1 pepper ( I used a green one but what ever tickles your fancy!)
    pinch salt
    grind of pepper
    1 1/2 cup milk
    3 eggs
    generous pinch mixed herbs
    1 cup cheddar cheese ( I used basics cheese and think slightly less of this would be better as it's ended up quite soft)
    parmesan cheese ( I used a good shake of ready grated hard Italian cheese that I bought in a tub in Sainsburys)

fry mince onion peppers and garlic until mince is browned
    drain well in a sieve and allow to stand
    grease a pie dish
    whisk together flour and milk then add eggs
    stir in cheese
    stir in mince mixture

pour into greased pie dish and bake at 170oc or until set
    Last edited by arkonite_babe; 22-05-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: dozy birdc forgot to type it in!!
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 26th May 08, 8:28 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Cheats chicken curry.
    Can be made with any meat - we often use left overs from our Sunday roast!!!

1 tin of tomato soup,
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    1 tablespoon curry powder (i use either tikka or korma curry powders, saves buying/mixing loads of spices yourself!!)
    1 onion
    1 150ml tub of youghut or cream (can be coconut, single or double cream)
    Oil for frying the meat,
    Meat of your choice.

First, mix the tomato puree with the curry powder. Then mix in to the meat and leave to marinade - at least 15 mins.

Chop, and then blend the onions until smooth - i normally add a little of the soup to help (i use a stick blender).

In a little oil fry the marinated meat until cooked (or if the meat is already cooked, for about a minute to seal the flavour in) then add the onion mix and remaining tomato soup. Heat, and just before serving, add the yoghurt/cream and heat this through (it will curdle if you add it to early)

Serve with rice!!
  • Lesley Gaye
    Vegetarian Green Lentil Shepherds Pie
    Green lentil cottage pie.

2 lb potatoes, cooked and mashed with milk, butter and ground black pepper
    Vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    6oz green lentils
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    4 oz vegetarian cheese (cheddar)
    2 carrots, diced
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    1 green pepper, diced
    4 oz mushrooms
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    Pinch cayenne pepper
    Seasoning
    Vegetarian stock cube

Cook lentils in plenty of water until just soft, drain, but save ½ pint of the cooking liquid.
    Meanwhile, fry onion, garlic and carrot, adding the pepper and mushrooms towards the end.
    Add the cooked lentils, tomato puree, basil, cayenne and seasoning. Add the reerved liquid and the stock cube.
    Put this mixture into an oven proof dish, cover with the mashed potato and sprinkle with the grated cheese.

Bake in a moderately hot oven until the top is golden brown

popular in our house
  • Lesley Gaye
    Vegetable Crumble
    crumble topping
    100g butter / marg
    100g wholemeal flour
    75g cheapy porridge oats
    100g cheddar
    50g finely chopped nuts
    2tbsp sesame seeds
    2tbsp pumpkin seeds

Base
    675g mixed root vegetables, peeled if you want, chopped, anything you have. I usually use potato and carrot
    1 large chopped onion
    100g prepared mushrooms
    tin (or equivalent of fresh) tomatoes

Method
    Rub the fat into the flour and oats, add the remaining ingredients for topping and stir around to mix in.

Saute the root veg, mushrooms and onion in a little olive oil (or whatever) until soft.

Add the remaining ingredients and season to your liking. Salt & pepper, mustard maybe, soy sauce, brown sauce, worcestershire sauce, whatever you like.

Put in an ovenproof dish and put topping over the veg. Cook at 190C,M5 for about half an hour until nice and brwon and crispy.

You can vary this dependant on what you have. The only essential ingredients in the crumble are the fat and flour (use 75g extra if you don't have any oats), although obviously it will taste nicer if you can add the other bits. The crumble works well on any savoury mix that you fancy putting under it - chicken/turkey in white sauce, sausage and beans, pheasant or rabbit if you're lucky, any combo of pulses and veg that you concoct

hope you like it, we love it
  • Lesley Gaye
    Chocolate & Ginger
    This is a no-cook, rich, very chocolatey pudding that can be enjoyed after dinner or as a cake with a cuppa at any time. It freezes well but doesn't get a chance to in our house!

Base
    175g crushed biscuits, ginger nuts work well with this, but you can use whatever you've got
    50g butter / marg

Topping
    400g any chocolate you want to use, I use half 70% cocoa solids and half CDM
    50g icing sugar
    3 pieces finely sliced stem ginger and 2tbsp syrup from the jar
    3tbsp dark rum
    200g 0% fromage frais
    2 x 142ml lightly whipped double cream

Method
    melt the butter/marg and mix with the biscuit crumbs and press into a 20cm loose based tin, or anything that you will be able to slice the finushed pudding out of.

melt the chocolate over some hot water or in the microwave. Add the icing sugar, rum and stem ginger and syrup. Beat in the fromage frais and fold in one of the pots of whipped cream.

Pile on top of the buttery crumbs and leave to set.

you could do this in individual portions if you like

If you are feeding children you can use milk instead of the rum, or for adults, you can replace the rum with something else, orange or coffee liqueur or whatever you have / fancy using.

The chocolate has many permutations. I have a friend who loves white chocolate so I will be trying a version using just white chocolate for him. My OH loves the really dark stuff but it is a bit strong for some, so I tend to use half 70% cocoa solids and half CDM. You could use all CDM, I expect the whole nut /fruit and nut CDM would be good.

The fromage frais and double cream can be replaced with any combination of creamy stuff that adds up to the right weight. So you could use all fromage frais, all double cream, some mascarpone or ricotta, I wonder if greek yogurt would work?
  • Lesley Gaye
    Vegetable Stroganoff
    1 large chopped onion
    4 chopped celery sticks
    350g prepared mixed vegetables
    2 or 3 bay leaves
    142 ml half fat creme fraiche
    a little olive oil

method
    Saute everything except the creme fraiche in the olive oil until soft. The dish will sit now until you want it. When ready, reheat the veg if necessary and stir through the creme fraiche.

It doesn't tend to reheat terribly well once the creme fraiche is in.

I like this with the whole 350g of veg as mushrooms, but I have used it sucessfully with lots of different combinations. If you use soft leafy green veg like spinach, stir those through at the last as well.

Goes very well with buttery mash, noodles, over rice or as a side dish with grilled chicken, salmon etc
  • Lesley Gaye
    Gingerbread
    100g marg, lard or butter
    200g black treacle
    200g wholemeal flour
    1/4 pint milk
    50g brown sugar
    1 tsp mixed spice
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    2 eggs

method
    melt the fat and treacle, allow to cool and add milk. Stir in the dry ingredients. Pour into a lined tin and bake at 150c for an about hour. The tin I use is about 8" square

nuts, raisins and glace cherries can all be added.

this is a lovely sticky gingerbread that can be used as a pudding or as a cake with coffee. great with custard too
  • foreversomeday
    Recipes which are a bit different
    I wanted to share this recipe, but couldn't find a suitable recent thread, so I decided to start one: For your recipes which are a bit out of the ordinary - a new take on an old favourite, perhaps one which is a little more expensive to make (we might be able to get the cost down on those, too!) one which uses unusual ingredients...

Veggie Shepherd's Pie

My mum always made this and called it that, she also did the vegetable mix without the potato as an accompaniment to something like chicken breast cooked with onion & garlic, and rice or cous cous. This is probably best in the summer as it uses summer veg. It can also be vegan, if you substitute/leave out the butter, but is tasty and filling enough to tempt carnivores!

The texture of the potato mixing with the tomatoey mixture is fantastic and it is filling without being too stodgy, too.

For 4 people:
    8 potatoes (35p)
    3 courgettes (£1.20)
    2 tins chopped toms (42p)
    Quarter pack value mushrooms (35p)
    1 large onion (29p)
    1 green pepper (35p)
    2 cloves garlic (10p?)
    Tiny bit of butter, pinch salt & pepper, oil & water. (10p?)
    Total......£3.16 / 79p per portion.
    15-20 mins preparation, 40 mins cooking time.

Preheat oven to about 200C/Gas mark 6 while you heat some salted water and chop the veg (including garlic). Leave all quite chunky (you can chop the onions/garlic smaller, if you like, they dissolve more into the tomato mush this way.) Peel and dice/thinly slice the potatoes.

Boil potatoes until soft, meanwhile heat a little bit of oil in a large saucepan and fry the courgettes, onions, garlic, mushrooms & green pepper, adding to the pan in that order, until they are softened.

Seperate the tomatoes from their juice by passing through a sieve or strainer. (Don't be too careful about this - we will put most of the juice back later.) Keep the juice in a bowl. Add the tomatoes to the veg mix and a little bit of black pepper.

The potatoes should be ready by now so mash them with plenty of butter. Tip the veg mix into a large glass/ceramic dish, and add back the tomato juice, but keep the level of juice under the level of veg. (This is when a glass dish helps!) If it is too liquidy, the potato will go soggy.

Cover the veg with the mashed potato as you would for a normal shepherd's pie and dot with butter. Cook in oven for about 40 mins or until the potato has gone crispy & golden and the liquid is climbing up the sides.

Serve as a complete meal.
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • Hell Dans Un Handcart
    That sounds interesting!

This one probably isn't the cheapest either, but on the plus side, the only accompaniment you need is a bit of bread and salad I make these for summer lunches eaten outside - they look beautiful.

Goat Cheese & Roast Pepper Puddings (makes 5, or one large one)

50g butter (about 20p)
    250g plain flour (about 15p)
    5 eggs (about 75p)
    3 pack peppers (£1.20)
    Handful of chives (free from garden - hopefully!)
    3 cloves garlic (20p)
    3/4 pint milk (30p)
    Splash of balsamic (2p)
    Splash of olive oil (5p)
    I 120g pack Goats cheese (£1.25)

£0.83 a portion, a few pence more if you need to buy fresh or dried chives.

1) Make your pastry by rubbing the butter into the flour, and binding with a splash of your milk. Sprinkle in a little salt and half of your chopped chives. Wrap in clingfilm and pop into the fridge to firm up.

2) Pre-heat your oven to gas mark six. Chop your peppers into slices the size of your fingernail and chop or crush the garlic. Coat in olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper (if you have any basil, throw some in - but don't buy it especially). Throw into the oven until the skin wrinkles; should take around 15 mins.

3) Take your pastry out and grease up 5 deep ramekins, or one large tart/pie tin. Roll out pastry and line your containers. Pop into the oven for just under ten minutes to blind bake. (You can do this by lining them with greaseproof and using either baking beans, or pulses like lentils/soup mix).

4) Break three of your eggs into a bowl, and add just the yolk from the other two. Beat gently, stirring in your milk.

5) Chop goats cheese into small chunks.

6) lLayer peppers and goats cheese up in your ramekins. You don't need a huge amount of cheese, so don't worry if it looks sparing.

7) Pour over your egg mixture and then sprinkle over the remaining chives. Bake in the oven on gas mark 6; shallower containers will need about 25 mins; deeper ones may take up to an hour.

8) Loosen and serve when the puddings have cooled slightly.
    I like you. I shall kill you last.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 22nd Jun 08, 3:49 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Great recipes - thank you

I'll add them to the Recipe Collection thread, which is where all new recipes are kept.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 13th Jul 08, 12:38 PM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    White and Dark Chocolate Brownies
    OMG - I've just made these and they are truly scrummy!!

200g butter
    200g dark chocolate
    3 eggs
    200g caster sugar
    1 dsp vanilla essence
    110g plain flour
    pinch salt
    100g white chocolate

Melt the butter and dark chocolate.

In a separate bowl mix eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add flour, salt and chocolate mix. Stir through white chocolate (chopped) and pour into tray. Bake for 25mins at 180 C or 160 C (fan oven).

Delish!
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now )
    • frugalpam
    • By frugalpam 18th Jul 08, 4:44 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 4,844 Thanks
    frugalpam
    Someone kindly pointed me towards this recipe - they are to die for !!!!
    I haven't baked in ages, and this recipe was so easy and in my opinion is foolproof I'll never buy shop bought ones again

Pam

homemade hobnobs

8oz sr flour
    8oz sugar
    8oz porridge oats (smartprice or same)
    8oz butter, clover or stork marg
    1tbsp syrup, honey or maple syrup
    1tbsp hot water
    1/2 tsp bicarb soda

mix flour, sugar and oats in a large bowl
    melt marg, syrup and water gently, preferably in micro as it needs to be just melted and not hot, stir in the bic soda and pour onto the dry ingredients

mix well and shape into balls the size of a walnut, i get about 45-50 biscuits from the mix,
    put on greased baking trays and flatten slightly with a fork

bake 180oc, gas 4 for 15 mins until golden, cool slightly then lift onto a tray

i have put in a teaspoon of ginger, sometimes chopped almonds, smarties have been used by others, see the homemade hobnobs thread for other ideas
    Originally posted by twink
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 18th Jul 08, 5:24 PM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 35,979 Thanks
    tattycath
    Yes Twinks hobnobs are a favourite in our house too!!! You can always rely on twink!!!
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 83
    Mortgage overpayments:

Emergency savings £100/£2000
    Savercard Christmas savings £10
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb - 29/12/17 155lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,394Posts Today

6,088Users online

Martin's Twitter