Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 17th Jun 19, 3:04 AM
    • 855Posts
    • 12,343Thanks
    silver-oldie
    O/S Daily Monday 17th June 2019
    • 17th Jun 19, 3:04 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 17th June 2019 17th Jun 19 at 3:04 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 1
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 17th Jun 19, 3:11 AM
    • 855 Posts
    • 12,343 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 17th Jun 19, 3:11 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 3:11 AM
    Good morning all

Hopefully you are all asleep, not like me.

dp1 how is your little Grandaughter , hope she makes a speedy recovery

Not sure what we'll be doing today.

take care
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th Jun 19, 4:54 AM
    • 13,040 Posts
    • 48,475 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 17th Jun 19, 4:54 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 4:54 AM
    Morning SO and everyone on their way

SO I'm sorry your nor sleeping its awful

I'm back on the hamster wheel today showered and dressed ready for a train to the picturesque Sheffield for the week. Still not packed though despite all my intentions yesterday. Needs must now so short but sweet today

Raining again for a change ho hum.

Hope everyone has a good day if you can and that your little one is improving dp1
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th Jun 19, 5:16 AM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 48,167 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:16 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:16 AM
    Morning everyone

SO - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that need/want one, those who are poorly and those that are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Bright sunny start to the day here, changeable weather forecast though.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and I'm showered and dressed and enjoying first cuppa and my porridge whilst on here. DS2 settled and ok.

Lunch yesterday was the roast pork, roasties, mash, carrots, broc, pan fried cabbage, swede, peas, yorkshires and gravy - all eaten and enjoyed. Tonight will be fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Not sure whether today will be busy or not, we'll see.

Anyone heard from JackieO - seems to have been a while since she's been posting? Hope she's ok.

We're now counting down to our holiday - we're both in need of some downtime and r&r.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th Jun 19, 5:27 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 53,986 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:27 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:27 AM
    Morning All

I had a great weekend with DS1 and the DGC, they are certainly active! We walked, swam, played and had a thoroughly good time.

Hope your little GD is on the mend dp1.
    Well done on the weight loss RR.
    Hope your OH had a good night and settles in csarina.
    Thinking of you SO.
    Great your DM is looking after herself Gers, take care of yourself too.

Off for a swim today, I was so lazy last week! 2 weeks to go until we finish for the holidays.

The weather was good over the weekend so all the washing is up to date including the bedding from the visitors beds, I can make them up tonight after I've met friends for an early dinner.

Have a happy Monday. Take care. XX
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 17th Jun 19, 5:29 AM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 36,137 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:29 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:29 AM
    Morning folks and thanks for the early start SO. Much sympathy re your insomnia. I was awake at that time too but still laid in bed dwelling on and worrying about things I can't change as usual.

Yesterday was glorious right up to almost 6 pm and silly me thought we were escaping the rain. Wrong, down it came. Still looks damp out there but I am vainly hoping it might stay dry as today my big garden makeover begins and I don't want him rained off before he even starts! I am expecting the skip, 2 tons of pebbles and the fencing etc getting delivered shortly. I hope there are no setbacks to delay proceedings!

Other than keeping a watchful eye on progress, and making copious mugs of tea for the young chap, I have no further plans for today. I'm sure I will find some jobs to occupy me whilst I am housebound.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely who need them. Take care all xx ps anyone heard from JACKIE recently, she isn't usually MIA for this long. Also it seems a few days since NAN posted. Hope they are both ok x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 17th Jun 19, 5:36 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 27,800 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:36 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 5:36 AM
    Morning all and thank you for starting us off silver-oldie.

I've been up for an hour or so, not doing anything of consequence. Yesterday I seemed to spend most of the day putting washing on the line, bringing it back in to avoid downpours and then back out again. Today we are meant to have a little rain about now and it has clouded over - and then no rain for the rest of the day so a few things can go back out just to air. I've got a load of towels in the machine now.

I made a big tinful of flapjacks yesterday and now there are a few crumbs left. That was after a big Sunday Dinner and the chaps also had snacks, not sure where they put it all.

I am hoping for a dry day, not just because of washing but I would like to carry on eeed-clearing as I got virtually nothing done outside last week because of the rain.

My friend is back from 3 months touring the far east so am hoping to see her this week, we've kept in touch by email, she said that was the only reliable way most of the time.

Thinking of ~taff,, dp1, csarina2, Gers and SO and anyone else who could do with a bit of a virtual hug.

I too have been wondering where JackieO is, hope she is OK
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 17-06-2019 at 5:38 AM.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • redruby
    • By redruby 17th Jun 19, 6:05 AM
    • 7,091 Posts
    • 99,534 Thanks
    redruby
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:05 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:05 AM
    Morning all

Sunny here atm and meant to be nice all day, we have had weather warnings for tomorrow for storms and rain in the afternoon and evening, dd is flying back from Greece tomorrow so lets hope she is in safe before the bad weather starts.

I did have a small glass of wine with my dinner last night and boy was it lovely ! I really enjoyed it, but back on the bandwagon today.

Pasta for dinner with salad OH will have garlic bread with his but I will fill up on salad.

Washing to do tonight which will have to go in the td as more rain due tomorrow.

Jackie O has been posting on FB so maybe just too busy to get on here atm.

TA I do hope the garden makeover goes well xx

Have good days all xx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 17th Jun 19, 6:29 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:29 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:29 AM
    Good morning, it's sunny here at the moment, I don't know what the forecast is though.

Yesterday we went to A*nwick Gardens, I wanted to see the rose garden as I am particularly fond of roses. I thought it would be really battered by the rain over the last week, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Some plants elsewhere in the gardens were flattened though. if I was the Duchess of Northumberland I'd walk in those gardens every night after visitors had gone home, maybe she does!! There was one tiny shower, then it was warm and sunny.
    We then went to Bart*r Books on the old railway station. I had £14 credit there from when they'd bought some books from me earlier this year, so I spent some of that.

Today, what delights await me - meeting an ex work colleague for coffee this morning, taking Dgd to the library craft session after school, in between I'll do housework.

SO you had an early start, I had a good night because of the rubbish night I 'd had before. As TA says, worrying about things I can do nothing about as usual.

TA hope your garden work is not rained off

Dp1, hope your little Gd is picking up.
    Thoughts to the sad and poorly, and carers.

Take care folks xx
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 17th Jun 19, 6:55 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 20,468 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Morning all,

As soon as the post office opens I want to get up there before it gets too busy. I have a couple of parcels to return. Then I want to give the kitchen a good clean. In the end I gave the bathroom a spring clean.

If it isn't wet this afternoon I will go out for a walk somewhere. I'm going to try and go for a walk every day even if is only a short one around the town. I thought I may try people watching in a caf! this afternoon as well. I just need to get my confidence back going into places on my own. I have lost it a bit where I haven't been up to it for a few months.

Camelot sounds like you have a good very active weekend. If I recall the last two weeks of the academic year are hectic at work for you, so you will need a rest when term finishes.

SO I'm sorry that you are not sleeping still.

TA I hope that the gardening goes well. I'm another one who was awake in bed at that time worrying about things I can't change . I wish that there was something we could do about it.

SR enjoy your coffee with your friend.

AOD hopefully you can catch up with your friend this week. Email is good for keeping in touch when miles apart but nothing can beat a face to face natter.

dp1 I hope the baby is doing ok.

Have a good Monday everyone xx
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Jun 19, 7:06 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 22,315 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend, despite the weather.

My trip back to Glasgow was busy, as usual. Not that I'm complaining. It was nice to see various friends and family. I don't think I'm due back up for 3 or 4 weeks for a couple of birthdays. Which reminds me, I need to get my thinking cap on.

Anyway, food shopping is pretty much done, need to go to the SM at some point today/tomorrow for a few remaining bits, including some frozen food which I couldn't have bought in Scotland and brought down as it would have half defrosted by the time I got home. Tonight, I'll stay slightly later in work followed by the gym then yoga before I go straight to bed.

Still on 8 NSD's so far this month.

camelot - 'The weather was good over the weekend'...?!?! Were you in Spain?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th Jun 19, 7:47 AM
    • 7,484 Posts
    • 50,789 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning all.

I've been up and about already...the window cleaner is coming today (he was on holiday last week) so I've been clearing window ledges.

DM is still fast asleep so things are calm so far. I'll go out for another walk today, yesterday I did one circuit of a local park which wasn't very far so will do two today! My hip has been sore overnight, I'm tempted to sleep in my lovely recliner chair to see if that helps as there's no pain when I sit in it.

Once again a band of heavy rain is promised, yesterday was a day of showers and sunshine with more dark clouds than rain.

My hearing aid is annoying me, something is rustling and even my hair is making a noise. If I move my hair then the rustling is so loud, perhaps it needs adjusting.

TA - JackieO is posting in other boards so is around.

Right folks, I hope that everyone has a good day and those that are struggling get some respite. Happy Monday to all.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 17th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 24,343 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,
    Managed the dogwalking without getting wet but I think the rain is starting again now
    Hope your little DGD is improving dp1,
    Csarina likewise your OH
    HH hope you manage some peoplewatching in a cafe today,why not try a quick coffee at first just to build up your confidence ?
    TA hope the garden job gets underway.DH is doing a similar thing at the house they built the big extension for last year,and it's been a bit muddy to say the least
    SR - my roses are definitely battered

Hugs to anyone else under the weather.
    DS2 stomach pain seems to be improving with the tablets the doc gave him so he's in a bit better mood.He didn't see the children yesterday but they both Facetimed him, and we 'did' Father's Day on Saturday when they stayed over.DSons bought DH beer and wine which suits him fine We had a lovely meal at our friends on Sat night,great to have something I didnt cook!
    I'm doing bbq ribs tonight for tea,done in my instant pot and finished in the oven for a few mins-they go down well with everyone.DGS is staying over,his other Grandma usually takes him to school on Tuesdays but she's away and his Mummy would struggle to get to work on time as her work is in a different town,but he's no bother
    Hope you all have a pleasant Monday x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    • 16,780 Posts
    • 143,708 Thanks
    JackieO
    hi chums I am fine just been so busy the past few weeks.No.4 DGS Henry has started his temporary job which he has until he goes to Uni in the autumn .The money is pretty good, £8.20 p.h. but the hours are long Because of where it is I am picking him up and taking him to work every morning at 0.6.30 and again at 4.30.p.m. in the afternoon taking him home again Today was especially busy as no.3 DGS Jack also need a lift to work and. no.5 DGS started his work experience week that his school expects all the boys to do.
    So today started at 5.45 for me with a quick shower then pick up henry and drop off to work then back home for breakfast a quick swish around with the hoover then pick up DGS Jack and take him to work then on the way back a gallop around the supermarket to get some salad bits then home to make a blancmange for this weeks desserts.DGS Mikey came in at 12.00 for lunch with his school friend and they have just gone back to their work experience job in a local butchers (the boys have been making sausages and burgers all morning )
    this afternoon I shall be at the audiology clinic for my hearing check up at our local hospital at 3.30 then from there down to pick DGS Henry up from his job and take him back to his house.
    Home for me around 5.30 when my son-in-law gets home,and I will have my dinner by 6.30 and then probably pick up DGS Jack from work when he finishes at 8.00p.m. and run him home and get home myself
    round 8.30, and relax so quite a busy day today ,in fact for most of the week I will be too-ing and fro-ing with the boys .Jack and Henry are saving as hard as they can for their coming terms in the autumn at Uni so need every penny towards their grant as it just about covers their Halls with very little left over for actual eating money so my contribution at the moment is being their taxi as bus fares are very expensive for the boys. But they are good lads and if it helps them I don't mind .Both my DD and her OH work quite long hours themselves. Its all part of our family life ,helping each other out when we can

But come the autumn life will calm down a bit as there will only be DGS Mikey left at home, as DGS Ben is moving up to live in London and house sharing with three of his friends.

Apart from that I also still have my U3A and its coffee morning tomorrow morning so I shall have to fit that in as well tomorrow at least life is never boring

The raspberry blancmange has set very nicely so that's gone into the fridge. Managed to get a nice bag of wild rocket in the SM this morning and it was just being reduced to 35p (even nicer ) and I really like it as its hot and peppery.There were also bags of cornish new potatoes reduced to 35p so snaffled a couple of those as well. Didn't spend a great deal but have got more than enough fresh fruit and veg for the week now so no more shopping needed

Right enough waffling I am now going to have a nice cuppa and a sit down before going to audiology later
    Hope everyone is OK and the sun is shining down on some of you.Its a bit more like April weather at the moment ,warm sun then the occasional shower.Really need a decent dose of sunshine I think

Take care all

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • elona
    • By elona 17th Jun 19, 1:25 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    JackieO

It is so nice to hear from you.

After a busy weekend with the family I am having a really quiet and lazy day. Had a sausage sandwich and coffee for breakfast and have just put pork ribs, soup veg and stock in the pressure king pro for later. I have a nice chicken which I will roast later then remove the meat from the carcass so I can make more soup tomorrow and have cooked meat for several meals or snacks.

My phone has been playing up and I just got a notification of several missed messages including several from the handyman who must be wondering why I did not reply so will do that later.

Gers

I hope your hip improves. Would something like a mattress topper help?

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 17th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 14,613 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all. Nice to see you JackieO. Wow you are busy at the moment.

We have had a dry day so far which is most welcome. DH hung out some bedding this.morning. Then we went out to lunch with the knit n natter group which was very nice. DH sits with another hubby who brings some of the group and they have a nice meal and chatchat as they go to the same model railway group.

TA hope your garden work goes well and.it has stsyed dry. taff sorry to hear about your Dad.

Well hugs and spoons all round and enjoy your evening.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • dp1
    • By dp1 17th Jun 19, 4:57 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 3,431 Thanks
    dp1
    Thank you to everyone for their good wishes regarding little granddaughter. Nothing much to report really...she's no better but no worse. She was still being sick so they've stopped feeding her through the tube for now and are just using the iv drip. doctor still thinks it is just a nasty bug she has picked up which has affected her particularly badly as she is so small.
    Have spoken to Dd a couple of times today and lots of texts. She did send a couple of photos of little grand daughter smiling her gorgeous smile but says she is sleeping most of the time.
    I've been at work all day today but have taken time off so I can go to visit them tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

569Posts Today

6,528Users online

Martin's Twitter