Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dan958
    • By dan958 14th Jun 19, 11:58 AM
    • 141Posts
    • 261Thanks
    dan958
    The meal prepping thread
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:58 AM
    The meal prepping thread 14th Jun 19 at 11:58 AM
    Hello,

I couldn't see that a thread already exists for meal prepping yet, so thought i'd make one!

This will be an opportunity for people to post recipes and pictures of your meal preps, and ask for inspiration or anything related to meal prepping.

Meal prepping is a great way of making sure that you eat well, if you maybe don't have the time or energy to cook every day. I also believe that it is a great way of making sure you don't waste anything, as I buy all my ingredients and then cook with it right away!

Resources
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/
    Meal prepping for beginners
    How do I meal prep?
    Last edited by dan958; 14-06-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Page 1
    • dan958
    • By dan958 17th Jun 19, 8:35 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    dan958
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:35 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:35 AM
    Didn't get time to do any meal prepping this weekend, so instead just made couple of days worth of snacks. I made a bunch of roasted chickpeas and sausage rolls.

Here are the timings that I used for the chickpeas https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/crunchy-roasted-chickpeas/ although I change the spices and herbs up a bit, I add cayenne, garlic and onion powder, and thyme - with a bit of oil and salt.
    Last edited by dan958; 17-06-2019 at 8:44 AM.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 17th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 8,491 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    I did BBC Good Food's lentil Ragu at the weekend - makes 6-8. Added mushrooms. Gave us dinner on Saturday night and will be supper tonight and tomorrow too. Also chopped up remainder of carrots and celery in fridge and put in clean jam jars for snacks on Mon/Tues.

Next time I cook will be weds night - will do a curry and a soup for Weds/Thurs and then on Friday night I'll do something fresh.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • GunShotResidue
    • By GunShotResidue 17th Jun 19, 10:32 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    GunShotResidue
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:32 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:32 AM
    Great thread! I love meal prepping.

I managed to make 4 lamb hotpots earlier in the month from a large joint we had for a roast, we're having one for Dinner tonight. Last week I made 25 dump bags (5 x 5 recipes) to be used in the slow cooker. I had a 8 off a 40 shop voucher and managed to get most of what I needed for 32.

Going to do a freezer inventory later this week and plan for the next few months
    • meggierunner
    • By meggierunner 17th Jun 19, 11:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    meggierunner
    • 17th Jun 19, 11:43 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 11:43 AM
    Ooh excited to see more ideas on this thread - subscribed. I used pintrest and search for meal prep ideas. Theres some really good ones. I'm often unsure though whether the idea is to eat the dishes they've prepped and put so beautifully into the meal prep containers as cold versions or whether you are supposed to reheat in the microwave - it never tells you that bit!
    • dan958
    • By dan958 17th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    dan958
    • 17th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 17th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    I'm often unsure though whether the idea is to eat the dishes they've prepped and put so beautifully into the meal prep containers as cold versions or whether you are supposed to reheat in the microwave - it never tells you that bit!
    Originally posted by meggierunner
    I think it would probably be safe to assume that majority of meal prep recipes will allow for re-heating, unless otherwise stated.

Things in a sauce will reheat better. Things like rice, I add a little water to before reheating.

Some great ideas as well everyone else. I definitely need to try some of those. I always like having a variety of things in the freezer. I'm looking forward to re-trying my lentil chilli again, first time it didnt have much flavour (despite following the recipe and even adding more spices!) I am quite new to bulk making food though.
    Last edited by dan958; 17-06-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 17th Jun 19, 12:10 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 12,605 Thanks
    elsiepac
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:10 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:10 PM
    I love meal prep! I have loads on my Insta - @lifewillfindaway
    Here's one I did yesterday - just the main parts of lunches and dinners for the next week with a couple of spares.
    Potato and leek soups
    Sweet potato and chickpea stew (slightly spicy)
    Sausage and roasted vegetable pasta sauce
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Apr 19 59.94/200
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • JIL
    • By JIL 17th Jun 19, 10:45 PM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 23,957 Thanks
    JIL
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:45 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 10:45 PM
    I dont so much meal prep, but do some prepping twice a week to make things for work.
    On Sunday I may make a big pan of soup, usually that fills 6 soup containers. These are great for taking for lunches or if I come in one evening and have to go straight out. (I usually add any leftover veg from Sunday dinner)
    I also make a tray of granola bars or individual tea loaf bars. These are wrapped in foil and can be popped into packed lunches.
    I make a batch of bread rolls, I fill them with leftover meat from the dinner and salad. I freeze any leftover rolls.
    By Wednesday the rolls have been used along with the soup, I then use the remaining rolls from freezer, or sometimes I make a quiche or cheese scones or even a quick tomato soup and this usually does Thursday and Friday.

I also do a meal plan for the week so I also take into account any potential leftovers.
    I'm actually really pleased that I dont waste much food at all.
    I sometimes look back on my earlier years. I bought a boots meal deal every day I was at work. I cant believe how much money I wasted. I pay for all my shopping on the credit card and take out about 30 cash at the beginning of the month. I very rarely spend it all. It's used mostly for office collections.
    • dan958
    • By dan958 24th Jun 19, 11:17 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    dan958
    • 24th Jun 19, 11:17 AM
    • 24th Jun 19, 11:17 AM
    Eating out every day is a killer. A couple of years back, I was probably spending about 5 a day on lunch. Since buying my own place and having my priorities change, I knew that money would be better spent elsewhere. It is also great that I now live close enough to work so I can walk home for lunch.

Yesterday, I made a batch of lentil soup on the slow cooker; https://veganinthefreezer.com/slow-cooker-red-lentil-soup/ Made 4 potions as my slow cooker is on the smaller side.

I also made some sauage rolls and roasted chickpeas just to have as some snacks for a couple of days.

Tonight I'll be making some Orange Chicken; https://www.budgetbytes.com/easy-orange-chicken. Will be trying to debone chicken thighs for the first time, should be easy enough to do.
    • GTBT123
    • By GTBT123 24th Jun 19, 12:15 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    GTBT123
    I've subscribed to this thread. I'm trying to cut down our grocery spend drastically but don't have lots of time during the week to cook, so my idea is to batch cook on a Sunday so that things are easier for me during the week
    LBM 04/01/19

CC1 - 4892.73 CC2 - 4203.03
    CC3 - 4832.40 CC4 3586.21
    Next - 1997.91
    TOTAL - 19512.28
    • 8ofspades
    • By 8ofspades 24th Jun 19, 12:53 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    8ofspades
    Great idea! I'd love to get more organised, especially as my other half works late so has just taken to eating soup when he gets home.

Saturday I made these on the suggestion of someone on MSE-
    https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-sausage-egg-mcmuffin/

I just did 5 out of a 500g pack of pork mince, one for each me and OH to eat straight away and the other 3 to freeze. They were a bit chunky though, I think using my burger press I could get at least 7 out of the mixture. I didn't freeze with the egg.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 24th Jun 19, 1:29 PM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 47,118 Thanks
    joedenise
    Great thread! I love meal prepping.

I managed to make 4 lamb hotpots earlier in the month from a large joint we had for a roast, we're having one for Dinner tonight. Last week I made 25 dump bags (5 x 5 recipes) to be used in the slow cooker. I had a 8 off a 40 shop voucher and managed to get most of what I needed for 32.

Going to do a freezer inventory later this week and plan for the next few months
    Originally posted by GunShotResidue
    The dump bags sound good. What did you prep?

Denise
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 25th Jun 19, 3:45 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Sounds like a great idea! I love to meal prep but always get a bit sidetracked!

Loving the dump bags idea too!

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • jbkmum
    • By jbkmum 2nd Jul 19, 9:03 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    jbkmum
    Subscribing, as per Dan's fantastic recommendation in my thread, going to start to plan tonight for next month. I'm moving house soon and need to make sure I organise our fridge and freezer when we move into the house! I think I'll be asking you lot for some advice....on how to use multiple plaice fillets lol
    • dan958
    • By dan958 2nd Jul 19, 9:47 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    dan958
    Good to have you here. Ask any questions you need!

I like to try and break out my slow cooker every week. I plan on making a taco bowl this weekend; https://www.budgetbytes.com/taco-chicken-bowls/ extremely easy, and looks lovely!
    • Getmeouttadebt
    • By Getmeouttadebt 3rd Jul 19, 7:23 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Getmeouttadebt
    Oh I've just discovered this thread! I do batch cook and now with a bit of time off I will prepare and freeze new meals... great discovery and thanks everyone for your suggestions!
    • jbkmum
    • By jbkmum 3rd Jul 19, 12:31 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    jbkmum
    I'm just trying to work out how many meals to plan for 7 days for the two of us? I actually had a gastric sleeve so I have half a childs portion. If I cook a meal that serves 4, I'll assume that is 3 days worth of food. 3 Portions for DS and then I can split mine out over 3 days.

So thinking about it, If I cook 3 meals a week - then we have enough for the week plus leftovers to freeze.

I'm going to have to get used to not buying lots of food!
    • dan958
    • By dan958 3rd Jul 19, 12:43 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    dan958
    I always found portioning difficult if I was not putting the food right into a container rather than onto a plate.

Instead, I got a bunch of meal-prep containers that have 3 compartments each (one larger for the protein, and 2 smaller ones for like rice and vegetables)- makes it very easy to portion out.

It is also quite common to have 3 days worth of food in the fridge, and freeze the rest.
    Last edited by dan958; 03-07-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    • dan958
    • By dan958 9th Jul 19, 8:19 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    dan958
    I was going to make this a while back, but only got around to making it last night; https://www.budgetbytes.com/taco-chicken-bowls/

I'm going to mix it with a bunch of rice and put it into some wraps to make some burritos and store a bunch in the freezer.
    • jbkmum
    • By jbkmum 14th Jul 19, 5:15 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    jbkmum
    Okay so....in 4 weeks time I move into my new house with my son. I'm going to have an under counter fridge and same for freezer. I won't be taking my full size fridge, don't see the point for two of us. I can either take a tall freezer with me or a small chest freezer. What do you think I should do? I have room in a tiny utility room for one of those. I'll be able to freeze stuff basically. I also need to make a list of 5 meals to prep. I have failed before because I try to make TOO many things. I've got a fussy child but he loves risotto so I'm going down the rice route
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,171Posts Today

6,886Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin