Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    • 7,919Posts
    • 58,774Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16
    • 8th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16 8th Apr 19 at 7:52 AM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 14 and 15 is Here

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"
    Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-04-2019 at 8:03 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 39
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 17th Jun 19, 11:59 AM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    I just need to get the weekend out of the way, scan on Monday.
    Originally posted by arsenalbarnie

Good Luck.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 17th Jun 19, 12:02 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Ok, I need to get a grip here. It's 17th June and I've only had 5 af days this month. I feel dreadful, my stomach isn't enjoying it, I'm not getting to the gym because I feel lethargic... and so on!

I'm determined not to drink for the next 7 days, I want to feel healthy again.

Here goes...!!
    Originally posted by AnnieG

I'm on 4...but today is a new day....there are still 14 days left in June!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 17th Jun 19, 12:07 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Hi All
    I am a long time lurker and have bitten the bullet to join.
    I've never posted online so please bear with me.
    I am so cross that I can't get the booze under control, so need help please. I regulary drink wine and don't have an off button, so best not to start......easier said than done.
    Fed up with my lack of willpower and feeling rubbish all the time!
    I am going back and reading the posts, so will take me a little while, so apologies for not acknowledging the events on here yet.
    Feeling ashamed and vunerable and to cap it all I just lost my job-so now can't afford alcohol anyway.
    I would like to be able to "take it or leave it".
    Baby steps.
    Originally posted by 3Catssooz

• shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 17th Jun 19, 12:10 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    School Night Challenge 9th to 13th June
    Glenda 4/5
    Maggie 1/4
    Marra 5/5
    Shaggy 1/4

Anybody else?
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 17th Jun 19, 12:11 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    School Night Challenge 16th June to 20th June
    Annie 1/3

Shaggy /4

Anybody else?
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 18-06-2019 at 1:42 PM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 17th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : June 2019
    June 2019

= 7 Days

= 14 Days

= 21 Days

= 28 Days

= 31 Days

= Target Reached
    = Target Beaten

Annie 6/18

Arkers 6/10
    ArsenalBarnie 9/16
    Barney 12/23
    CathyBird 16/21

CuppaTea /19
    Glenda 12/29

GreenKaren
    Honey Bear 17/30
    LoveASale 7/TF

MaggieM 5/18

Maman 5/10
    Marahouti 14/16

PollyAnna
    Pricey 10/22
    Rosy 9/26
    Season of Mist 14/30

Shaggydoo 4/23
    Sukeyboo 8/12

WannaBeeFree 1/16

Please let me know if I've made a mistake!

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 18-06-2019 at 1:49 PM.
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 17th Jun 19, 1:28 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 5,409 Thanks
    AnnieG
    Can I join in the SNC? 3 please!!
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 17th Jun 19, 1:29 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 5,409 Thanks
    AnnieG
    And today is 1 on the SNC 😂😂😂
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 17th Jun 19, 1:54 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    For those trying to lose weight - this is interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/how_to_lose_belly_fat_in_four_weeks?xtor=ES-211-

It tells me I have to eat less than 1772 calories to lose weight. To lose 1 pound a week I have to eat 500 calories less than 1772 - so 1272...that's not much! I'm already on 1100 today.

It's no wonder those wine calories at the end of the day are messing with my diet!
    • PriceySOS
    • By PriceySOS 17th Jun 19, 3:32 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 5,068 Thanks
    PriceySOS
    12 please, thanks
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 17th Jun 19, 7:35 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    10/16 please.

• GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 18th Jun 19, 5:47 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    I have ... Opinions about that article. I'll stick with saying that losing a pound a week may not be sustainable for many people, that a 1200 daily calorie limit could be dangerous depending on lifestyle, and that a 'healthy' weight is massively determined by your age, lifestyle, body type and a million other things. I'm all for making healthy changes to improve our lives, but not if we are pressuring ourselves because of ideas about how women (and the diet industry is mostly focused on women) should act and take up space in this world.

And here endeth the lesson.

15/28 and 2/2 for me .
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 18th Jun 19, 7:11 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 6,848 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    7 please Shaggy
    Arkers x
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 18th Jun 19, 8:55 AM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 16,362 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 17/21 for me today thanks.
    15 in Save 12K: 4,634.39/12K. JNSDs: 9/10 YNSDs: 10/TF Tilly: 835.26
    July AFDs: 20/21 2019 AFDs: 177/260 2018: 303/260
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 18th Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 16,362 Thanks
    cathybird
    I have ... Opinions about that article. I'll stick with saying that losing a pound a week may not be sustainable for many people, that a 1200 daily calorie limit could be dangerous depending on lifestyle, and that a 'healthy' weight is massively determined by your age, lifestyle, body type and a million other things. I'm all for making healthy changes to improve our lives, but not if we are pressuring ourselves because of ideas about how women (and the diet industry is mostly focused on women) should act and take up space in this world.

And here endeth the lesson..
    Originally posted by GlendaSugarbean

Glenda, I think you are completely right!
    15 in Save 12K: 4,634.39/12K. JNSDs: 9/10 YNSDs: 10/TF Tilly: 835.26
    July AFDs: 20/21 2019 AFDs: 177/260 2018: 303/260
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 18th Jun 19, 11:11 AM
    • 5,754 Posts
    • 56,365 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Hi All
    I am a long time lurker and have bitten the bullet to join.
    I've never posted online so please bear with me.
    I am so cross that I can't get the booze under control, so need help please. I regulary drink wine and don't have an off button, so best not to start......easier said than done.
    Fed up with my lack of willpower and feeling rubbish all the time!
    I am going back and reading the posts, so will take me a little while, so apologies for not acknowledging the events on here yet.
    Feeling ashamed and vunerable and to cap it all I just lost my job-so now can't afford alcohol anyway.
    I would like to be able to "take it or leave it".
    Baby steps.
    Originally posted by 3Catssooz
    Welcome 3 Cats!

That sound about right for everyone who contributes to this thread, so well done for joining in. Everyone's experiences are different and it helps enormously when people are honest about their situation and 'tell it like it is' so to speak.

I read dozens and dozens of pages of posts from the current and past AF threads when I joined, as well as lots of blogs, diaries and books written by people when I first realised I had to stop drinking and it helped enormously. I don't advocate going totally AF unless you're determined to do it, and it sounds as though what you want is to be able to moderate. You'll be in very good company here. Keep posting - it really works.

The most useful bit of information I had when I embarked on this journey was what it was that triggered me into drinking every day. I could resist drinking during the day because it always made me sleepy and who wants to go to bed at 5.00 pm and then sleep right through until the morning? I could resist over-indulging when I needed to drive, and there were a host of other things that other people couldn't but I could except just one. I couldn't sit down to the evening meal without a glass of wine. Just one ... or maybe two ... or perhaps the bottle needs finishing, and 'Oh Why Not?' Let's open another one ...

And don't forget - every single person on social media was new to posting once. It took me at least a year of reading MSE forums before I posted and I can't tell you how much being part of this community has helped me turn my life around. One of the best things I ever did, so I thoroughly recommend it.

Originally posted by GlendaSugarbean

I read the article and found it food for thought, so thank you for posting the link Shaggy. I do hope it's in the ballpark when it comes to 4lbs of body weight lost equals 1" off my tummy but at my age it probably doesn't. *sigh* However, as I don't intend to set myself a target of 1lb a week, more like one a month (let's start by being honest!) I'm quite happy to read articles like that. I would have thought, for instance, that I'm overweight when it come to BMI because as I've said in previous posts I look stout, but according to that I'm only 0.1 points into the 'Overweight' category!

18/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 18th Jun 19, 1:36 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Hi,

I managed to jump on the wagon when it came hurtling past last night and I've kept to my diet...let's hope I'm back in the zone!

ShaggyXx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 18-06-2019 at 1:42 PM.
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 18th Jun 19, 1:44 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 5,409 Thanks
    AnnieG
    7, I've made it to 7!!
    2 nights on the SNC
    Today I made the effort to eat properly, I think my iron levels have dropped due to living on beer and snacks for the last few weeks and I've felt dreadful. Hopefully identifying it and addressing it will help to sort it out over a few days.
    I MUST go to the gym tomorrow.. as long as I've got enough energy, I'm trying to look after myself and I know resting is important
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 18th Jun 19, 1:46 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    7, I've made it to 7!!
    Originally posted by AnnieG

Well done I've made it to 5
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 18th Jun 19, 1:48 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 58,774 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    School Night Challenge 16th June to 20th June
    Annie 2/3
    Shaggy 1/4

Anybody else?
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 19-06-2019 at 4:04 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,715Posts Today

7,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin