Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    • 1,162Posts
    • 514Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 3:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 6:00 PM.
Page 4
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 15th Apr 19, 10:39 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    Also I should add that when I received my customer reference number from symbio (a week ago), it also stated in the email that I should contact my previous supplier with my final meter reading. But when I rang my old supplier, they said I didn't need to contact them & they didn't understand why symbio had told me to contact them. My previous supplier said it was industry standard for the new supplier to contact the old supplier with final reads, and the customer didn't have to do anything.

I explained I was just doing what symbio had told me, she took my meter reading but said there was really no need to contact them. They will send me my final bill which could take upto a month.
    [/FONT]
    Originally posted by Dizzee Rebel
    The gaining supplier (Symbio) will send your ‘final meter reading’ to a 3rd party meter reading verification company. It’s the meter reading ‘verifiers’ job to check that your reading is ‘viable’.

The verification company has access to all your historical readings/data (going as far back, and with as many companies, as they deem necessary) and they’ll use this data to estimate what they consider your reading should be.

Provided your own final reading is within range of the ‘verifiers’ estimated figure (there are strict parameters) the verification company will always accept your final reading figure.

The 3rd party verification company will then feed-back an ‘industry verified’ reading to the gaining and losing supplier.

It’s an Ofgem mandated process and the losing/gaining suppliers are duty bound to accept the ‘verified’ figure from the 3rd party verifiers. The verification company will adjust the final reading figure if their calculations indicate a problem with the reading you supplied on switch-over day.

That’s why losing suppliers aren’t overly interested in the final meter reading that you submit;...it’s the all important ‘verified’ reading that is used when they prepare your final bill (and subsequent credit refund,...if applicable).
    • Dizzee Rebel
    • By Dizzee Rebel 15th Apr 19, 12:36 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Dizzee Rebel
    The gaining supplier (Symbio) will send your ‘final meter reading’ to a 3rd party meter reading verification company. It’s the meter reading ‘verifiers’ job to check that your reading is ‘viable’.

The verification company has access to all your historical readings/data (going as far back, and with as many companies, as they deem necessary) and they’ll use this data to estimate what they consider your reading should be.

Provided your own final reading is within range of the ‘verifiers’ estimated figure (there are strict parameters) the verification company will always accept your final reading figure.

The 3rd party verification company will then feed-back an ‘industry verified’ reading to the gaining and losing supplier.

It’s an Ofgem mandated process and the losing/gaining suppliers are duty bound to accept the ‘verified’ figure from the 3rd party verifiers. The verification company will adjust the final reading figure if their calculations indicate a problem with the reading you supplied on switch-over day.

That’s why losing suppliers aren’t overly interested in the final meter reading that you submit;...it’s the all important ‘verified’ reading that is used when they prepare your final bill (and subsequent credit refund,...if applicable).
    Originally posted by Biggus Dickus
    Thanks Biggus Dickus.

I was already aware of this

That part of my post was just highlighting the fact, that Symbio staff dont seem to what they are talking about.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 15th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    Thanks Biggus Dickus.

I was already aware of this

That part of my post was just highlighting the fact, that Symbio staff dont seem to what they are talking about.
    Originally posted by Dizzee Rebel
    I guess it’s not unusual with fairly new companies/staff,...a bit frustrating but entirely understandable tbf. When I moved to YorksEnergy last year they were a very new company and some of their staff weren’t clued up at all,...but they certainly got better.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 15th Apr 19, 3:00 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Just checking the process
    @Biggus Dickus

Just checking my understanding. I'm in the process of moving suppliers. I start with my new supplier on 24th April but they have said that around 19th April they will contact me and ask for a reading.

So, if I understand what you've previously written, that reading taken about 5 days before I start with my new company will be used by the 3rd party verification company to calculate an artificial 'final reading' (because they know my typical daily consumption.) Is that correct? Then this artificially calculated 'final reading' is passed to both the losing supplier and the gaining supplier. The losing supplier calculates the bill (and any refund or payment due) using this calculated 'final reading' and the gaining supplier uses this 'final reading' as the day 1 start reading.

Am I correct in my interpretation of what you've written?

Is it also the case that the only benefit of taking a meter reading myself on the last day at the last minute (in my case 2359hrs on 23rd April) is to satisfy myself the independant 3rd party verification company has got the 'final reading' estimate/calculation roughly right?

Is it also the case that any attempt by me to submit this 'truly accurate' reading to both losing and gaining suppliers will cause trouble/muddy the waters as they will both work from the 3rd party verification figure? (unless it's wildly innacurate of course)

Have I got the process sussed?
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 15th Apr 19, 3:55 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Like you I'm leaving powershop fewkeste. I will continue to supply daily readings to powershop until I longer can. That way my powerpacks will work to the best of their potential

Anyone else slightly alarmed about symbios handling of new accounts

I'm getting to be. If they are like this at start what will they be like if I ever have to reclaim credit. Anyone had any answers to question about reclaiming excess credit
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 15th Apr 19, 4:56 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Just noticed on symbio website a message saying customer service will be closed on 23rd April. Why??? its not a bank holiday
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 15th Apr 19, 5:50 PM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    Just noticed on symbio website a message saying customer service will be closed on 23rd April. Why??? its not a bank holiday
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    Fingers crossed its no more than staff training.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 15th Apr 19, 5:58 PM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE

Originally posted by Biggus Dickus
    They should accept mine considering I sent them a date stamped image of my meter showing the reading on day of leaving. Tell will tell of course!
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 15th Apr 19, 6:25 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Like you I'm leaving powershop fewkeste. I will continue to supply daily readings to powershop until I longer can. That way my powerpacks will work to the best of their potential

I'm getting to be. If they are like this at start what will they be like if I ever have to reclaim credit. Anyone had any answers to question about reclaiming excess credit
    At this stage I would just go with the flow and try not to get too stressed if you can manage that.

If it transpires they can't cope after all, then maybe thats when it's time to leave.

I get the impression it might be virtually 'a one man operation' Not literally but not far off
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 15th Apr 19, 11:44 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my transfer fewkeste. To make sure it doesn't happen I would contact powershop and ask them to refuse the transfer. I'll give it a few more days. Maybe ring symbio and ask questions myself but I'm getting a bad feeling so it may be better to cancel the transfer. I know I have 8 out of the 14 days cooling off period left (symbio never even advised me of that period but I know my rights)
    Last edited by Tafrock; 15-04-2019 at 11:48 PM.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th Apr 19, 12:26 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    What are your specific concerns?
    @Tafrock what are your specific concerns?

What particular events reported in this thread have disturbed you sufficiently for you to consider cancelling the switch?

It would be good to voice (write) your specific concerns so that others can read what exactly has spooked you about Symbio and then form their own conclusions.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 16th Apr 19, 5:07 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    The way the transfer is bring handled as detailed in this thread. Their customer service team (you are appointed a adviser at signup) don't Seem very proficient. I got an answer immediately to my question about login details and fired off another few questions regarding what should be basic requirements of a utility supplier. I specifically asked what happens if I build up credit due to overestimating usage ie how or when can I ger credit back. Also what happens if underestimation occurs. How do I pay the deficit. how often is direct debit reviewed. I also asked what name appears on bank account as taking the monthly sum (so I can advise my bank account I am due 2 per cent cash back as a utility company entitles me to cash back). i also asked what date debits would be taken.

I've changed many times and I'm positive these questions are answered prior to changing not once you are committed.

No where in terms and conditions are these questions answered.

Initial email from them states they answer all questiond (or endeavour to) within 24 hours. I asked on Thursday. No reply yet

Maybe I'm. Getting over concerned
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    • 5,606 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    brewerdave

So, if I understand what you've previously written, that reading taken about 5 days before I start with my new company will be used by the 3rd party verification company to calculate an artificial 'final reading' (because they know my typical daily consumption.) Is that correct? Then this artificially calculated 'final reading' is passed to both the losing supplier and the gaining supplier. The losing supplier calculates the bill (and any refund or payment due) using this calculated 'final reading' and the gaining supplier uses this 'final reading' as the day 1 start reading.

Originally posted by fewkeste

On this specific point - up until the last 6 months, every time that I have switched, the reading I have given the gaining supplier has also been used by the losing supplier.

HOWEVER, recently ,I have had two occasions when the losing supplier has used an "estimated" reading to close the account ,which differs from the reading I have given the new supplier.
    This would be OK IF the new supplier altered their opening reading to match but it hasn't happened !! Dependent on this estimated closing read, the Utility Cos. can be trying to double charge for units consumed.

I don't think that the 3rd party verification route is working in a timely fashion -probably because of all the supplier failures over the last 12 months or so. And the administrators of the defunct Companies are desperate to raise as much cash as possible.

I have had one issue resolved (in my favour) but the 2nd occasion is still live; if I settled the bill I would be paying for over 100 kwh of leccy twice
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 16th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    • 5,606 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    brewerdave

Some companies work Good Friday and give Tuesday after as day off. Certainly happens in this part of the world (South Wales)
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 16th Apr 19, 9:03 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE

I suppose the only issue I have is they mixed me up with another customer and as a result my switch took place on the 13 April instead of 25 April as agreed with Symbio. When I queried this they apologised and offered me £10 off the first bill. I said considering it was not my fault as the whole point of waiting so I would not lose the £20 bonus from my leaving supplier. They then agreed a further £10 off the the 2nd bill.

Also since receiving their very first email at the outset I never heard anything from them and it was only by me speaking to the former supplier I was made aware the supply had left them a day before.

As I have said before they do not take the dd payment in advance and it is set at a sensible level so in the event of the unexpected it should not cause too much of a problem.

Anyway they are the cheapest on the market for me so will stay put.
    Last edited by MABLE; 16-04-2019 at 9:06 AM.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 16th Apr 19, 10:20 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    @Biggus Dickus

Just checking my understanding. I'm in the process of moving suppliers. I start with my new supplier on 24th April but they have said that around 19th April they will contact me and ask for a reading.

Is it also the case that the only benefit of taking a meter reading myself on the last day at the last minute (in my case 2359hrs on 23rd April) is to satisfy myself the independant 3rd party verification company has got the 'final reading' estimate/calculation roughly right?

Is it also the case that any attempt by me to submit this 'truly accurate' reading to both losing and gaining suppliers will cause trouble/muddy the waters as they will both work from the 3rd party verification figure? (unless it's wildly innacurate of course)

Have I got the process sussed?
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    The verifiers will only adjust your meter reading if it does not meet their criteria. I’ve been personally involved in 5 switches in the last 18 months;...I’ve always submitted accurate gas and leccy readings (only on switch-over day!) and ALL the readings eventually came back unaltered as ‘industry verified’

The email you’ll receive 5 days prior to switch-over day isn’t a specific request to submit meter readings on that particular day;...the email is merely an instruction to tell you that you must submit your final meter reading in the coming days.

If you wish to keep things simple/accurate the only leccy reading you should submit to Symbio is the reading on switch-over day because that is the exact day when Symbio officially becomes your new supplier.

If you do supply your meter reading to Symbio 5 days prior to switch-over day then it wouldn’t be an issue as such;...however, (and to the best of my knowledge) that reading will be sent off to the verifiers and, if it meets the verifiers ‘criteria’, will then become your official ‘verified’ final reading,...albeit a reading that was taken 5 days before your actual switch-over day.

If you are moving to a more expensive tariff (which most people are unfortunately) you could end up paying a higher charge to Symbio for 5 days leccy that was actually supplied by your previous (cheaper) company.

The meter reading verification process is carried out by official OFGEM licensed verifiers for both gas and leccy and it’s designed to ensure a smooth and harmonious customer transition from one supplier to another,...albeit a process that introduces an inherent delay.

It will highlight and correct (as near as possible) genuine customer ‘meter reading’ errors. It prevents customers submitting deliberate false readings in an attempt to gain a financial advantage. It provides tangible meter readings for those customers who, for whatever reason, fail to provide ‘final meter readings’. It also means that customers should never be in the position of paying twice for the same gas/leccy during the transition period because the losing and gaining suppliers (and ultimately the customer) are duty bound by OFGEM legislation to accept the ‘verified’ final meter readings. There is a ‘dispute’ procedure though.

However, as ‘brewerdave’ points out in post #73, things can go awry when your previous supplier has gone bust and is being run by financial administrators.

This article explains the process,... and the calculations used by the verifiers....it's riveting stuff! : https://www.so.energy/so/help-and-advice/faq/switching-to-us/Opening-Read-Validation
    Last edited by Biggus Dickus; 16-04-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 17th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    OK so today I got a series of emails which has provided me enough information to allow my switch to continue

My switch date is now one day later at 25th April (not a problem) guess its caused by the easter holidays

I have been told my direct debit will be for the actual amount of my bill which again isn't a problem. Its what I'm used to with powershop however I did sign up to a fixed direct debit amount. I prefer just paying the bill if I'm honest. Not going to accumulate credit that way

Also I am to be billed on the first week of each month but collection not until around 20th

I'm happy with that.. I also have my customer number

Today I bought my final powerpack with powershop. Easter feast with a discount of 26.8%
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 18th Apr 19, 7:38 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Symbios website updated today with a message about Easter opening hours

Closed Friday Sunday Monday and Tuesday

Friday and Monday for Easter

Tuesday for system updates

At end of message is this 'Please feel free to e-mail us or leave a message and we promise to revert to you immediately after the 24th April 2019. We hope this has not inconvenienced you too much. If we fail to meet your expectations, we are truly sorry. Let us know where we have fallen below the standards and we will rectify our mistakes and revert to you with a heartfelt apology and a belated Easter Egg.

A free Easter egg. I like that
    Last edited by Tafrock; 18-04-2019 at 7:48 AM.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 18th Apr 19, 2:20 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    A bit worrying they haven't got a grasp of basic English!
    Symbios website updated today with a message about Easter opening hours

Closed Friday Sunday Monday and Tuesday

Friday and Monday for Easter

Tuesday for system updates

At end of message is this 'Please feel free to e-mail us or leave a message and we promise to revert to you immediately after the 24th April 2019. We hope this has not inconvenienced you too much. If we fail to meet your expectations, we are truly sorry. Let us know where we have fallen below the standards and we will rectify our mistakes and revert to you with a heartfelt apology and a belated Easter Egg.

A free Easter egg. I like that
    It's a bit concerning that they don't appear to understand basic English.

Revert???
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 18th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I did notice that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,207Posts Today

7,767Users online

Martin's Twitter