Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    • 1,162Posts
    • 514Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 3:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 6:00 PM.
Page 1
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 5th Feb 19, 9:13 AM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 5th Feb 19, 9:13 AM
    • 5th Feb 19, 9:13 AM
    I did a comparison this morning and they suddenly appeared with an extremely competitive quote for leccy only (I'm in South Wales) - I'd be a bit worried about their prospects - their p/kwh is less than Iresa's rate -who went bust last July owing £6m I believe
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 5th Feb 19, 10:21 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 5th Feb 19, 10:21 AM
    • 5th Feb 19, 10:21 AM
    I did a comparison this morning and they suddenly appeared with an extremely competitive quote for leccy only (I'm in South Wales) - I'd be a bit worried about their prospects - their p/kwh is less than Iresa's rate -who went bust last July owing £6m I believe
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    £6m - ist that all? Bulb already owe £26m

You may want to double check the tariff.

Iresa Flex 5, which was their latest and more expensive than Flex 4 that many were on, charged the following according to my records for the South Wales supply region

12.432p/kWh & 17.682p/day

Symbio will charge:

12.882/kWh & 16.234p/day

Powershop (nPower) , even without their special Power Pack prices, charge:

13.251p/kWh & 19.352p/day,

so not that much more expensive than Symbio.
    Last edited by wavelets; 05-02-2019 at 4:48 PM. Reason: To include VAT to Iresa prices ... omitted in error
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 5th Feb 19, 3:49 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 5th Feb 19, 3:49 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 3:49 PM
    £6m - ist that all? Bulb already owe £26m

You may want to double check the tariff.

Iresa Flex 5, which was their latest and more expensive than Flex 4 that many were on, charged the following according to my records for the South Wales supply region

11.84p/kWh & 16.84p/day

Symbio will charge:

12.882/kWh & 16.234p/day

Powershop (nPower) , even without their special Power Pack prices, charge:

13.251p/kWh & 19.352p/day,

so not that much more expensive than Symbio.
    Originally posted by wavelets

My final bill from Iresa showed 12.43p/kwh inc VAT on Flex 5 - I think the Symbio quote I got this morning showed 12.28p/kwh via Energylynx site and lower stding charge than Iresa HOWEVER not risking a switch to them anyway
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 5th Feb 19, 4:49 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 5th Feb 19, 4:49 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 4:49 PM
    Sorry, I forgot to include the VAT on the Iresa prices. Now updated
    Symbio & Powershop prices came from energylinx and already included VAT
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 5th Feb 19, 6:39 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 5th Feb 19, 6:39 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 6:39 PM
    From Northwest, they are competitive and cheaper than the renewal rates of my current small supplier.
    Last edited by PennineAcute; 05-02-2019 at 6:45 PM.
    • Dizzee Rebel
    • By Dizzee Rebel 17th Feb 19, 5:41 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Dizzee Rebel
    • 17th Feb 19, 5:41 PM
    • 17th Feb 19, 5:41 PM
    Be very interested to hear any feedback, suprised there hasn't more discussion over them to be honest.

Cheapest for me on any comparison site (even cheaper than Utility Point) & @wavelets you can now get a quote on the symbio website

No exit fees & a free phone 0800 number.

All seems too good to be true...
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 18th Mar 19, 8:40 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    • 18th Mar 19, 8:40 PM
    Suggested actions
    • 18th Mar 19, 8:40 PM
    No exit fees & a free phone 0800 number.

All seems too good to be true...
    Originally posted by Dizzee Rebel
    1. Contact OFGEM and ask them what Due Diligence checks they have actually carried out (as opposed to just reading an application form filled in by Symbio.)

2. Check out the history of directors of the companies that are involved including the holding company.

I'm absolutely NOT saying or suggesting anything is wrong - it's just that when I started to search I became a little concerned - nothing concrete - just my instincts are to watch and wait at present.

I always trust my instincts.

I was ready to initiate a move away from Powershop to Yorkshire Energy within the next month and then Symbio Energy popped up with a very competitive price.

Having followed the Iresa debacle as an interested observer, I'm not about to jump to a new supplier just because they are cheap.

One thing that caught my eye (and made me take a sharp intake of breath) was the tariff where you have to prepay 2 months worth of electric at the start of your contract.

Now, being with Powershop where to do this sort of thing is not unusual - in fact it's the norm (you buy discounted packs of power in advance to get a good discount) but, with a new untried supplier, I might be somewhat concerned about that level of financial commitment up front.

Look up llp partnerships.

I'll await developments with interest.
    • Dizzee Rebel
    • By Dizzee Rebel 20th Mar 19, 10:57 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Dizzee Rebel
    • 20th Mar 19, 10:57 PM
    • 20th Mar 19, 10:57 PM
    I'll await developments with interest.
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    I've been awaiting & watching for developments about 6 weeks now

They were initially only showing on energylinx, but over the past few days have popped up on a few other price comparison sites.

Very little information to be found. One Trustpilot review & this thread basically.

I decided to give them a call the other day with the intention of biting the bullet & switching to them. Not a great first impression. A man answered the phone, spoke quietly and I could barely understand him. It sounded like he was pottering about in his house tbh & I could hear a mobile phone ringing in the background.

Every question I asked, there was like a 5 second delay while he was thinking of the answer. I felt like I was having to help him answer my questions...

Anyway I queried the 2 months advanced payment tariff, I thought it would possibly be a one-off card payment. Then 10 direct debits maybe??? But NO, from what I could gather from him, they take the 2 months advance together with the first month, then you pay your next 11 monthly direct debits, then they give you the 2 months advance payment back at the end... kind of like a bond...??? But it doesn't act as a credit on your account

I really don't think he had a clue what he was saying to be honest.

Unconvinced, lost the will & all faith by this point, I put the phone down.

Due to imminent price rises from my current supplier, I was banking on switching to Symbio. But I guess its back to the drawing board now.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Mar 19, 12:48 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Is Yorkshire Energy any good for you?
    Due to imminent price rises from my current supplier, I was banking on switching to Symbio. But I guess its back to the drawing board now.
    Originally posted by Dizzee Rebel
    Very useful feedback - useful but disturbing!

Yorkshire Energy is very competitive for me (East Midlands) - any good for you?
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 22nd Mar 19, 10:35 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    I have just spoken to them on the phone and spoke to a foreign sounding lady. She explained you can apply online now but they are in the process of setting up online facilities for customers to send in their meter reads. Also she explained they do not take payments in advance except on the two months fixed tariff.

The one I would be interested in having is the 12 months fix, no exit fee and the price per kw is 13.40 and daily charge 15.20. Also the figures quoted include vat.

Seems a better deal for me than Bulb.

The issue for me is do I have confidence in this new start up.
    Last edited by MABLE; 22-03-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 22nd Mar 19, 10:50 AM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Personally I'd still be very wary of Symbio - just done a comparison and the 12 month fix without advance payment would save me £130 pa -miles better than all the other suppliers -even ~£80 better than OFTM!! Their tariffs are better than the last two suppliers I had who went bust (Usio and One Select) and only the standing charge makes it marginally more than the late lamented Iresa Flex 5, which vanished last July.
    Surely the wholesale market can't have eased so much that these Symbio rates are sustainable??

EDIT - In my region the standing charges are higher than quoted in the previous post -21.3p/day inc VAT but the leccy rate @ 12.43p/kwh is the same as Iresa Flex 5.
    Last edited by brewerdave; 22-03-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 22nd Mar 19, 11:36 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    Personally I'd still be very wary of Symbio - just done a comparison and the 12 month fix without advance payment would save me £130 pa -miles better than all the other suppliers -even ~£80 better than OFTM!! Their tariffs are better than the last two suppliers I had who went bust (Usio and One Select) and only the standing charge makes it marginally more than the late lamented Iresa Flex 5, which vanished last July.
    Surely the wholesale market can't have eased so much that these Symbio rates are sustainable??

EDIT - In my region the standing charges are higher than quoted in the previous post -21.3p/day inc VAT but the leccy rate @ 12.43p/kwh is the same as Iresa Flex 5.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    A year ago I decided to take a chance on Eversmart. They offered a fix rate for 12 months.The kw price was only 11.75P including vat with no standing charge. Nearly 12 months later they are still in business. However since joining them so many small companies have gone bust hence the reason for my hesitation in joining Symbio.
    Last edited by MABLE; 22-03-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    • lazybadger66
    • By lazybadger66 22nd Mar 19, 10:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lazybadger66
    I have been lucky enough to be with GB energy who went bust and recently One Select.
    So far I haven't lost any money so I'm signing up with Symbio on the basis that if they do go bust someone will take over like the other two companies and if they don't then I'll get a good price for my electricity.
    Quoted prices are 12.864p per kWh and 14.440p per day
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 23rd Mar 19, 9:26 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    I have read through their agreement and it states you have to agree to having a SMART meter fitted. I did not think companies could make it obligatory for you to have one.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 23rd Mar 19, 9:47 AM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I have read through their agreement and it states you have to agree to having a SMART meter fitted. I did not think companies could make it obligatory for you to have one.
    Originally posted by MABLE

They can make a specific tariff available only if you agree to Smart. Other Suppliers have already done it. The tariff I signed up to with Usio was a "smart" tariff but they went bust before they could organise an appointment!!
    • lazybadger66
    • By lazybadger66 23rd Mar 19, 6:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lazybadger66
    Well I don't have a smart meter, it did ask me when i requested a quote and they still gave me a quote. There's been no mention of a smart meter on any of the paperwork.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 24th Mar 19, 7:08 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    I have been lucky enough to be with GB energy who went bust and recently One Select.
    So far I haven't lost any money so I'm signing up with Symbio on the basis that if they do go bust someone will take over like the other two companies and if they don't then I'll get a good price for my electricity.
    Quoted prices are 12.864p per kWh and 14.440p per day
    Originally posted by lazybadger66
    Good for you ,...Symbio’s 12-month fixed tariff leccy prices are way cheaper than anything else on offer at the moment,...using my post code anyway.

The 2-months in advance D/D tariff looks a little unusual, but it’s a lot cheaper than their 1-month in advance D/D fixed deal and makes it a no-brainer IMHO.

I joined Yorks.Energy last year and they were very new,...many of the comments in previous posts in this thread about Symbio and their ‘hesitant’ staff etc could have been levelled at YE,...but it’s just down to their ‘newness’ I reckon. I’ve had no problems with the ‘new’ company Yorks.Energy btw.

They’ve all got to start somewhere.
    • The Big Bamboo
    • By The Big Bamboo 24th Mar 19, 8:59 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    The Big Bamboo
    Never heard of them. Probably will go bust once they get your 2 months advance payment.

Consider using Bulb Energy. They may not be quite as cheap, but have recently reduced their prices. And they have some history behind them, including a user rep who often posts on here.
    Lots of people on this forum seem to use Bulb Energy, and their feedback tends to be extremely good - and that is what we have found too.

If you join them Bulb via referral, you will get a nice bill credit that probably cover at least your first first month's usage if not more.
    And they will pay any early exit fees you may incur in leaving your old supplier.

No smart meter required with them either.
    Originally posted by Lisa Tom
    ♫ Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, ♫

Bulbs dual-fuel tariff is not particularly competitive in my neck of the woods;...and it’s variable!
    Last edited by The Big Bamboo; 24-03-2019 at 9:06 AM.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 24th Mar 19, 11:28 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    Well I don't have a smart meter, it did ask me when i requested a quote and they still gave me a quote. There's been no mention of a smart meter on any of the paperwork.
    Originally posted by lazybadger66

Under the heading "Introduction" item 8. states you have to have a SMART meter on ALL tariffs.

May be an idea to check yourself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

541Posts Today

5,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin