Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,656Posts
    • 20,492Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 5:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 05-07-2019 at 8:05 AM.
Page 124
    • Isca82
    • By Isca82 18th Jun 19, 9:57 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Isca82
    Very late to the party but i have found this thread so inspiring and would like to play!

1-21 Books to the charity shop
    Credit Card Debt

Total June 19 £5835.29 (0% until December 2020)
    Paid £0, Left £5835.29

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 22,080 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Thank you wednesday2000

Still desperately sad
    Originally posted by Picklepot

Well Done Wednesday2000 . It might be unconventional but if it works for you it may become the new norm
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    It's funny as I was looking on Pinterest this morning and I saw an article about women and 15 tips about applying makeup as you get older. It was saying that it is good to find a spot with good natural lighting where you can apply your makeup each day so maybe I am onto something!

Wednesday2000, love your signature. Too true.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 18th Jun 19, 10:53 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    Picklepot
    Thank you Mrs SD and corrinccoo for condolences and wednesday 2000 hugs from today

Items into CS bag in car..
    101- 3 birthday banners
    102- skipping rope
    103- nxt T shirt
    104- unused pack of stationery (notelets)
    105- mans suit jacket
    106- childs toy
    108 -2 trophies
    109- badge
    110- ornament
    111- metal gift boxed celtic bookmark
    112- pack shoelaces
    113- 1 lovely top unworn too small never suited me
    113-136- 23 items to textile bag
    137 dealt with post the moment it arrived..yay! Paperwork and digital clutter is my nightmare now trying to work on incoming stuff too!!
    Last edited by Picklepot; 18-06-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 18th Jun 19, 1:44 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 20,492 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

The sun had his hat on today & dans le ciel bleu Very warm but there was also a stiff breeze so a perfect day to wash & dry our bedding. However, as a hedge against the weather changing, I decided to remake the bed with our 2nd set of summer bedding. I previously said I was rereading last year’s decluttering thread & it clearly stated that I had kept 2 sets of summer bedding & 1 set of winter bedding & having been brutal, I donated the rest to either CS or the local city farm. So stepped onto my 2 step ladder & emptied the airing cupboard shelf into the arms of my DH in search of the 2nd set of summer bedding. Now - no sniggering at the back - it would appear that I had been more brutal than I thought only 1 set of summer bedding was to be found & that was in the wm Now look into my crystal ball 🔮 - I see a shopping trip in my future - 2 sets of summer bedding & the current set donated to the cs (don’t really like it )

MrsSD
    1856/2019
    The mystery of the disappearing summer bedding has been solved Rereading last year’s decluttering thread I found that on 1st September I decided one set of summer bedding was enough (probably because I thought that summers were going to be hot & sunny forever )
    Thank heavens I decided to reread - otherwise I might have started to go on a wild hunt

A huge & welcome to Isca82 We lurve new people on board the ‘Declutter Bandwagon’
    An excellent start with the books - a lot of us have problems letting go of books as there is nothing like diving into an old friend & from my point of view a K*ndl* just does not cut the mustard So play away Now you have obviously realised that I am ‘lead cheerleader’ but also, & this is very important I am the resident nosey c*w so if you feel like it could you divulge your path to ‘wanting’ to declutter ?

See you all later

MrsSD
    1856/2019
    • choille
    • By choille 18th Jun 19, 2:24 PM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 32,084 Thanks
    choille
    150 - Picture in CS bag

151 - 1 item posted.

Spent a while lifting boxes of stuff up to upstairs cupboard as I can't wait forever for light to be fitted. It's stuff that should be sorted through - some of it has, some of it hasn't but it's in boxes and out of my bedroom floor.
    Originally posted by choille
    153 - 2 items posted but one had 7 items in it so that is good.

154 - Basket items were stored in in CS bag.

160 loads of paperwork sorted &/burnt.
    161 - big bag of recyclable stuff in recycling bin.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 18th Jun 19, 8:04 PM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 11,128 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hello one and all.
    Recycled:
    several envelopes from today's post
    Wooden Food containers
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1. £260
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82
    2019 - A clutter free life
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jun 19, 10:57 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A few bits to add today: a battered pair of trainers that aren't comfy any more, a couple of bits of paper and a stray plastic lid. I also took a nearly-empty jar of herbs to the eco shop and refilled it (for all of 14p - the herbs and spices there are amazingly cheap) - so it's useful and not clutter now.

That brings me to 838 so far this year.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 18-06-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £1,599.86/2,880.00 to 12/6/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1009/2019 as of 16/7/19
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 19th Jun 19, 9:35 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    ailz95
    Condolences Picklepot for your loss. Sometimes people don't understand how upsetting losing a pet can be. {Hugs}
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 19th Jun 19, 11:04 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    whmf00001
    My usual "do not want to get rid of" "hoarder mentality" kicking in but dd came yesterday and when I said I was aprhensive about thinking about downsizing as need to get rid of loads of stuff, had started mini de-clutters, I mentioned the Click Clack bed settee in front room. Had it for 20 off years and only been used about 3 times, not even sat on, so she urged me to sell it. I have looked at Eb.. to see what sort of prices etc but it is a big decision for me so need all the encouragement I can get, it will still be in the thinking for months I expect, have to clear the clutter from around it first. Onward and upward, every little helps etc etc.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th Jun 19, 12:01 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 20,492 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’

The sun definitely did NOT have his hat on on Tuesday Started cloudy but dry, then damp & got progressively wetter as the day went on. Everybody just ‘mooched’ around Having spent the day sorting out a bag of DSis’s paperwork from France (sadly there are CRATES of paperwork still to sort ) I shredded it all in 20 page sessions every few minutes. Then spent several hours making a cottage pie from scratch & had with loads of green beans - mind you it was worth it as it was absolutely delicious 🤤 I used half of the meat mixture to make a large cottage pie - 5 portions so 2 in the freezer for DSis whilst we are away. The other half of the meat will be used for same again tonight - we know how to live According to my DSis it was the “best one I have made” - high praise indeed Then as I was in a ‘paperwork frame of mind’ I sorted some of mine
    Wednesday is cloudy but warmer than yesterday & no rain....yet This afternoon DH is taking the compressor & attachments, plus motorbike trousers & battery charger down to his niece (on the motorbike) - bound to rain DH & I are in a holding pattern as we are off again (to France) on Friday Our motorbiking chum, Dave, has sorted our annual trip There are 4 couples + Dave - & Tom is flying in from America & picking up his bike in Germany (he is in his 70’s, a surfer, has numerous excellent stories, gets ‘squiffy’ easily & keeps a bike in Germany as he loves riding around Europe ) Just hope my DH & I will be in as good shop should we reach our 70’s Just listening to the bath water running - DSis is obviously cold

So my numbers - a decent amount as I count every 20 pages of shredding as ‘1’ (only ‘1’ is mine ) Shredding bin has been emptied 5 times

1857 - 1878 Small Glass bottle, milk carton, cardboard box, cardboard packaging, 13 booklets, 2 x 1” lots of paperwork, empty beer bottle, foil lid, plastic tray - Recycled
    1879 - 1893 Small bag of kitchen detritus, nr plastic tray, plastic packaging, 12 x 20 page lots of shredding - Binned
    1894 - 1899 Small notepad, 5 clear plastic document wallets - CS
    1900 Pet hair remover gadget with 5 spare rollers - DH taking to niece as she has 3 dogs

Gem-gem, you are obviously an optimist - seeing the silver lining Well Done on the actual decluttering

Bit by bit, the Welsh style dresser sounds just my cup of tea - shame I only have a 20 year old house I really like that it will NOT be used as a dumping ground for clutter - Well Done It will look wonderful

Hi CorrineCoo you are so right, deleting emails is always stressful

Well Done A Frayed Knot I am so impressed with 2 van loads of clutter leaving your home that I am awarding you a Gold Star ⭐️

parsniphead - I bet you have been tidying & stopping clutter entering your home

Told you Wednesday2000 ahead of the curve - you trendsetter

Excellent numbers Picklepot

Well Done choille & Cherryfudge

whmf00001, how about setting yourself a target - two weeks to clear the clutter surrounding the Click Clack bed settee & then selling it by the end of July . I do sympathise but be strong

I will love you & leave you now as I suppose I should start organising the packing

MrsSD
    1900/2019
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 19th Jun 19, 12:05 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 20,492 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Quick post, DH & I have discovered that the beautiful black ducks with the shiny deep green plumage (that we saw in Scotland) are Cayuga Ducks

MrsSD
    • savvy
    • By savvy 19th Jun 19, 3:55 PM
    • 30,167 Posts
    • 46,850 Thanks
    savvy
    Good work Barny1979 & savvy Savvy - not sure I would have been so generous with my time - Black bin bags on the drive & if he didn’t pick them up they would have been left for the rubbish collection but then I am the one who sold most of the furniture & white goods from the house I shared with my ex-h for £100 - half each lots of my colleagues paid bargain basement prices
    that's well naughty I'm going to try and sell his electrical stuff and fishing things if I can, then the rest will hopefully get dumped at his sisters.

Hi to all.
    Missing last week due to decorating and then an unexpected pet bereavement .
    Awwww no, sorry for your loss, so horrible when they leave us
    Well done Savvy. It must be a massive weight off your shoulders.
    Originally posted by bit by bit
    Thanks, it is, looks so much neater out there, and friends son came and cut the long grass down, so it looks 100 times better out the front and far less embarrassing!! But now the back looks horrible
    • Cazzatheclutterbug
    • By Cazzatheclutterbug 20th Jun 19, 10:52 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Cazzatheclutterbug
    Hello, hope you are all well.
    Been busy with RL so haven't posted but have been decluttering when I can. Did a 3rd coat of paint on the walls and they do not need a 4th (really good paint but I was covering a mid aqua with a greige and wanted to be 100 per cent sure I was happy with how it looked.) Had a few slacker nights and am going to start painting the woodwork tonight and aim to be completed by the end of the weekend.
    182: new bra to CS
    183: book -CS
    184-185 old make up binned
    186-190 kids toys to CS
    191-192 kids cup and bowl binned
    193-194 old rags binned
    195: make up primer binned, was a sample that was !!!!
    196-197: hairbands to CS
    198: old pot recycled
    199-200: cardboard boxes recycled
    201: colour pencil with broken lead all through binned
    202: unused bottle warmer- CS
    203: pre-walker baby shoes to CS as youngest DD is walking properly and got fitted for new shoes Tuesday. First time walking outside she decided to sit down on the floor until she was picked up..... Don't know where she gets her stubborn streak from.....!
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 20th Jun 19, 12:47 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    Rootle
    25/52 - a bundle of special age birthday cards recycled (counting as decluttering as they took much longer than the usual ordinary recycling cycle!)
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 20th Jun 19, 2:39 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    Picklepot
    Hi All!
    Plodding away here.

Isca82
    Welcome, ive only just joined, i think anything you get out of the house regardless of time of year is progress. and Mrs SD is a fabulous cheerleader

ailz95 and Savvy
    Thank you both for the condolences. You are absolutely right ailz95 some people dont understand, thats ok but it doesnt make it easier. A colleagues partner told me i shouldnt have a pet if i cant deal with their loss (ooch harsh)

Rootle re: your cards if i find something really hard to let go /keep putting off, then finally do, i count it. Sometimes those decisions can be as hard mentally as taking a sofa to the tip is physically

Slow progress today but here goes:
    138 - post dealt with on arrival checked and recycled(it will not add to the paperwork pile!!)
    139 - 50 items of paperwork weeded out of study and recycled
    140- 50 items of paperwork weeded from garage and recycled
    141- carrier bag of legoey bits recycled
    142- grubby soft toy- binned
    143 - one random glove binned
    144 - one car clean cloth bin
    145 - box to post office that should have been posted 2w ago
    Last edited by Picklepot; 20-06-2019 at 2:41 PM.
    • bit by bit
    • By bit by bit 20th Jun 19, 6:27 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    bit by bit
    Thankyou Mrs SD. My house is only about 45 years old but I really want a cottage. All the walls are plain plaster and paint and the furniture is nearly all wood. This dresser matches the table very well. The old sideboard was darker and sucked in the light.
    Early on living here I had a porch attached to the house and it is now coverred in Wisteria, looks cottage like. The grassy front garden was dug up and is now a wildlife, cottagey garden. Makes the street less boring thats for sure

Two bags going in the car tonight for the CS tomorrow.
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, cancer survivor. Aiming to retire at 55 in February 2021- 23 months to go.
    Challenges 2019: MFW 2019 #164 £1045/723200 Make 2019 in 2019 #70 £679/£2019 Stash Busting 2019 3/12 projects A Clutter free Life 2019 54/100 bags and 6 large items.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 20th Jun 19, 6:38 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    TamsinC
    Decluttered around twenty bags of sand, four bags of lime onto the floor - hours of work and loads of back ache - but it is finally finished.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 20th Jun 19, 6:40 PM
    • 30,167 Posts
    • 46,850 Thanks
    savvy
    ailz95 and Savvy
    Thank you both for the condolences. You are absolutely right ailz95 some people dont understand, thats ok but it doesnt make it easier. A colleagues partner told me i shouldnt have a pet if i cant deal with their loss (ooch harsh)
    Not harsh at all.........just extremely blinkered and short sighted!! Bide your time and when they have a loss, say the same thing back to them, oh and add on 'suck it up buttercup'!!

All I've decluttered today is some paperwork!
    711/2019
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th Jun 19, 7:56 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A few things decluttered over the last few days:
    2 bits of paper
    a pair of trainers
    a lid
    an empty herb jar that's now a full herb jar.
    a peach and a banana that had seen much better days - into the compost
    a plant tray - binned
    a jar of pesto that had been cluttering up the fridge.
    2 broken plant pots
    a handful of rubbish found in the garden.

I'm now going to replace the trainers but that's another story.

I've also planted up three plant pots, done some weeding and trimmed back a shrub, not to mention potting up a fuchsia cutting that's obligingly grown a root and set off some rose cuttings (2 pots) from trees that I grew up with. Not sure how to total that lot, especially as the lawn is now littered with plant pots and a box of shrubbery. Maybe one point each?

I think that brings me to 853.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £1,599.86/2,880.00 to 12/6/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1009/2019 as of 16/7/19
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 21st Jun 19, 1:55 AM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 20,492 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

Wednesday ended up with just a few short gentle showers DH got back about 8:00 p.m. Everyone was happy with their bits & bobs - money was proffered but refused Only needed to make the cheesy mash for the meat mixture & then cooked the cottage pie - again 5 portions so 2 in the freezer for DSis whilst we are away. The other half of the meat will be used for same again tonight - we know how to live According to my DSis it was even tastier
    Thursday started bright & sunny but clouded over a bit. Did an sm shop & packed our bags for our holiday. Cleaned both ovens. We had eggs & chips for dinner with strawberries & ice cream for afters. I have just had a long bath & I am drip drying whilst typing

1901 - 1912 Glass jar & metal lid, plastic milk carton, cardboard box, 5 lots of cardboard packaging, 2 empty beer bottles, plastic tray, magazine - Recycled
    1913 - 1917 Small bag of kitchen detritus, 2 non rec. plastic trays, plastic packaging, pair of Sunday knickers - Binned

savvy, can he come back & sort the back garden Well Done on decluttering paperwork - I am sure it breeds

Well Done Cazzatheclutterbug; Rootle; Picklepot (thanks for the praise ); Cherryfudge -

Looks wonderful TamsinC - Well Done on all your hard work

Sounds wonderful bit by bit making your home into a cottage even if it isn’t in the countryside

We are off about 11:30 a.m. - so no decluttering (apart from pennies) but I will pop in & cheerlead

MrsSD
    1917/2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,787Posts Today

7,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin