Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 28th Jan 17, 11:18 AM
    • 3,055Posts
    • 28,120Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Get a grip woman!
    • 28th Jan 17, 11:18 AM
    Get a grip woman! 28th Jan 17 at 11:18 AM
    Having been reading a number of people's debt-free wannabe diaries for some time now, I have finally decided I will start my own.

We are less than three years from wanting to stop work, and less than ten years from state retirement age. I manage our household finances and DH lets me get on with it. His attitude is more "live for today" so we are a good balance, I think. We have two holidays each year and sometimes more - and he has some boys toys - 2 Harley Davidson motorcycles in the garage, that seem to always need money spending on them. That said, there is more to be said in favour of a happy and contented DH than against them so I don't resent them in any way.

So to debts - It seems a good time because I have recently finished the finance on my car, and as of yesterday, paid off the finance for DS's car (I borrowed from him 18 months ago and paid back by buying his car on finance and paying his insurance). I was paying 4.7% on that debt so it was my highest priority. I paid it off 10 months early using most of my HSBC Regular Saver that matured this week.

The debts I have currently are:

110,621 - Mortgage - interest rate of 0.74% (0.5 above the BoEBR)
    3,476 - DH's car - 0% credit card until Sept 17 - a 4000 cash advance with a 76 fee
    8,755.54 - Barclays Finance for double glazing 0% over 2 years 2/24 paid

Total 122,852.54

It isn't that I can't afford to keep up payments, it is more that I want us to start our non-work phase without them hanging over us, if you know what I mean.

I think that will do for a scene setter.

SL
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 46.03% spent so far, mid July
    My DFD is here
Page 41
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 14th Jun 19, 9:43 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 4,163 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    That's a very good question, trix, and I currently have no idea of the answer
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    It sounded like you were an authority no worries i have no clue but chuck them at the base of my roses in a vague attempt to keep things going.

SL
    just do a little a day, like PAD but SAD? (needs a better acronym, maybe SABAD shred a bit a day)
    i'm a glutton for punishment so when i have a paperwork sort out i sit there and feed it through a few sheets at a time till its done
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd: 114800 87k
    - Student Loan: 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T5 knocking down the mortgage to be freeee
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 16th Jun 19, 4:27 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 28,120 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I will look at what actually needs shredding/burning - but there are more than 20 crates to go through...

I have just surprised a snake in the garden, basking in the sun on the path to the greenhouse. I am not sure which of us was more surprised but it was much longer than anything I have seen before. I can't imagine it was anything but a native snake but I can't be sure as the colours and markings vary so much
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 19, 8:51 PM
    • 31,887 Posts
    • 188,140 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow! For seeing a snake in your very own garden, I mean! I wonder if it was desperate for some sunshine after all this rain? Amazing stuff
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 17th Jun 19, 8:14 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 28,120 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    After a bit more research I am convinced it was a grass snake. Very happy with that!

In less happy news I managed to snap off the growing tip of one of my tomato plants (and gave one to my neighbour, minutes before!) hmm.

Everything growing like mad in the garden.

I realised that I have slightly more in the emergency cash account than we owe on the mortgage now! We will stick to our plan to use DH's TFLS to pay down most of it though.
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jun 19, 1:21 PM
    • 31,887 Posts
    • 188,140 Thanks
    Karmacat
    After a bit more research I am convinced it was a grass snake. Very happy with that!
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Very! Grass snakes are Good Things, I'm pretty sure

I realised that I have slightly more in the emergency cash account than we owe on the mortgage now! We will stick to our plan to use DH's TFLS to pay down most of it though.
    Then you're mortgage neutral! Woo hoo
    Congratulations!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jun 19, 4:01 PM
    • 64,479 Posts
    • 287,540 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the mortgage
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 17th Jun 19, 6:20 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Excellent news on emergency savings offsetting the outstanding mortgage and to the snake!
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 18th Jun 19, 7:04 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 28,120 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Oh dear. I got on the scales this morning and my weight is creeping up. I sort of knew my tummy has been feeling bloated. Time to have a strict period. I am not going to do a full eight weeks as that is not practical (hols in five and seven weeks) but a month of eating only what we should will help us both (DH won't mind - he will snack on in the background until school breaks up and it will help both of us. I need to nip this in the bud!

I will try and be accountable on here for what I am eating.

Day 1 - black coffee so far -
    • Breakfast will be greek-style yogurt with nuts and seeds (shortly)
    • Lunch will be soup (hm courgette and vegetable)
    • Dinner will be a share of a tomahawk steak - I reckon I can get six portions out of it - with salad and then berries and greek yogurt
    • I will pick up some bowl fruit when I go for my eye test and might snack a piece of fruit (eg apple, pear or stone fruit - nothing tropical or citrus)

I just need to avoid the cakes from the weekend in the tin and the two packets of chocolate buttons I know are in the naughty drawer with a snack-size kit-kat. Hmm, I can see why I have let a few pounds creep back on.
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 18-06-2019 at 7:06 AM.
    My DFD is here
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Jun 19, 7:25 AM
    • 8,746 Posts
    • 20,290 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Oh dear. I got on the scales this morning and my weight is creeping up. I sort of knew my tummy has been feeling bloated. Time to have a strict period. I am not going to do a full eight weeks as that is not practical (hols in five and seven weeks) but a month of eating only what we should will help us both (DH won't mind - he will snack on in the background until school breaks up and it will help both of us. I need to nip this in the bud!

I will try and be accountable on here for what I am eating.

Day 1 - black coffee so far -
    • Breakfast will be greek-style yogurt with nuts and seeds (shortly)
    • Dinner will be a share of a tomahawk steak - I reckon I can get six portions out of it - with salad and then berries and greek yogurt
    • I will pick up some bowl fruit when I go for my eye test and might snack a piece of fruit (eg apple, pear or stone fruit - nothing tropical or citrus)

I just need to avoid the cakes from the weekend in the tin and the two packets of chocolate buttons I know are in the naughty drawer with a snack-size kit-kat. Hmm, I can see why I have let a few pounds creep back on.
    Haha I know what you mean Suffolk. I have been lax since getting back from holiday and started eating all the wrong stuff again. I have a bad bronchitis type cough too so can't exercise or walk the coastal path as I have been doing over the last month. No more snacking from today. You have given me a kick too.

Well done on your savings being higher than your mortgage too. Not long until your DH retires now.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 18th Jun 19, 7:58 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 28,120 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Why not join me enthusiasticsaver? I don't mind if you post yours here too - in fact I don't mind who posts here really if it helps us with the relevant "Kick up the Rs" to take the pressure off our joints and organs.

In addition to the weight, I know my tummy is bloated, my ankles were swollen, my feet itchy and dry and my head is itchy - I am hoping that cutting out sugar ameliorates all of these symptoms of a rubbish sugar-heavy diet. So much coming from the garden and in the freezer I am just buying yogurt and apples/peaches this week
    My DFD is here
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 18th Jun 19, 12:13 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 28,120 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Food update (I will edit later)
    Been for a walk (just under 2 miles) with some dogs and just having a snack and some cold water. Definitely going to storm later - it is muggy.

Day 1 - so far - black coffee, breakfast of greek-style yogurt with nuts and seeds, berries and a sprinkle of jumbo organic oats. My snack is raspberries and blueberries nuked for a minute (too long) - stewed berries I suppose. Not hungry for soup at the moment so will have that later when I get back from the optician.
    My plan for the rest of today is:
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Jun 19, 3:29 PM
    • 31,887 Posts
    • 188,140 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, thats a startlingly good diet ... I do know what you mean about feeling awful when you're eating a lot of sugar How do you feel about bananas? And what about a few walnuts etc as a snack? Would that help or hinder?

Before posting, I've just seen the "no tropical", sorry - that sounds interesting, though, whats it about?
    Retired August 2016
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Jun 19, 3:47 PM
    • 8,746 Posts
    • 20,290 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Why not join me enthusiasticsaver? I don't mind if you post yours here too - in fact I don't mind who posts here really if it helps us with the relevant "Kick up the Rs" to take the pressure off our joints and organs.

In addition to the weight, I know my tummy is bloated, my ankles were swollen, my feet itchy and dry and my head is itchy - I am hoping that cutting out sugar ameliorates all of these symptoms of a rubbish sugar-heavy diet. So much coming from the garden and in the freezer I am just buying yogurt and apples/peaches this week
    Happy to do that SL but due to this bronchitis and awful cold (courtesy of grandchildren) I have at the moment I have so little energy I am reaching for the easy stuff we have in (DH did the shopping this week as I was so poorly). Breakfast was an orange and Weetabix and grapes. Lunch was a chicken salad sandwich and dinner will be roast chicken and veg as it has to be cooked by today. Banana as snack. Too many carbs I know and I am interested in why no tropical fruit too? High in sugar?

I feel sluggish but not sure how much due to diet and how much due to the bronchitis which is currently letting me sleep for about three hours a night before I wake up coughing. Why can't I be one of those people who lose their appetite when ill?

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Jun 19, 3:58 PM
    • 31,887 Posts
    • 188,140 Thanks
    Karmacat
    enthusiastic saver, sorry to hear you're ill ... but credit where it's due, your "easy stuff" is really healthy, from my viewpoint. Don't sell yourself short! And I'm totally with you on "I never lose my appetite when I'm ill." Wish I did get well soon.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Jun 19, 8:37 PM
    • 64,479 Posts
    • 287,540 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you are on the mend really soon. Take care.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 19th Jun 19, 7:32 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 28,120 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Accidentally overwrote my post from this morning when I was updating what I have eaten today

Note to self - go to bed when tired and stop trying to get ahead!

Original post sent get-well wishes to enthusiasticsaver

Day 1 consumption:
    • 2 black coffees,
    • breakfast of greek-style yogurt with nuts and seeds, berries and a sprinkle of jumbo organic oats.
    • My snack was raspberries and blueberries nuked for a minute (too long) - stewed. skipped soup that I planned for lunch but had some for supper
    • Supper was soup (hm courgette and vegetable) and traditional cauliflower cheese, then berries and greek yogurt
    • snacked on peach, plum, couple of figs and some lychees (all were reduced to half price or less at the SM - nothing tropical or citrus)

No fruit that does not grow in the UK as they are too sweet and the principle of the low blood-sugar diet is not only to reduce sugar but to reduce your taste for it. My creaky knees and ankles are evidence that I need to cut it out/down. It also makes me itch, combined with hay-fever and other allergies.
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 20-06-2019 at 6:48 AM. Reason: tried to recreate a post I accidentally over-wrote by pressing edit instead of quote!
    My DFD is here
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 19th Jun 19, 7:55 AM
    • 8,746 Posts
    • 20,290 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Thanks for the get well wishes all. I have been using covonia night time medicine the last few nights and it has knocked me out so more sleep thankfully. Goodness knows what is in it but main ingredient is diphenhydramine hydrochloride. DH said I was coughing almost non stop before taking it and started again this morning after it had worn off. Will check out the Pholcodeine SL but hoping I may turn a corner soon as has been over a week now. Going for a walk today when sun out this afternoon.

Brill start on the healthy eating yesterday. I am going to do a boiled egg with toast for breakfast today. Leftover chicken with salad for lunch and homemade chunky veg soup for tea as DH is out and he maintains soup is not dinner . but more energy today thankfully.

Checked my investments yesterday and they have gone up. Have you checked yours recently? Were you in Woodford?

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 19th Jun 19, 8:01 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 28,120 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    We are in Woodford - about 3k has dropped by 802 We will just have to be philosophical - other funds are doing better.

We have two holdings of shares that are doing poorly also - one is a premium UK maker we think might be taken over by a big corporate (so hanging on) and the other makes cardboard packaging (fingers crossed) - we might have just bought them at the wrong time but hey ho, and the dividends trickle in. We don't need to access that money at the moment so will hold on to our hats I think.
    My DFD is here
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 19th Jun 19, 8:13 AM
    • 8,746 Posts
    • 20,290 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    We are in Woodford - about 3k has dropped by 802 We will just have to be philosophical - other funds are doing better.

We have two holdings of shares that are doing poorly also - one is a premium UK maker we think might be taken over by a big corporate (so hanging on) and the other makes cardboard packaging (fingers crossed) - we might have just bought them at the wrong time but hey ho, and the dividends trickle in. We don't need to access that money at the moment so will hold on to our hats I think.
    Yes that is probably best. We are entirely in Vanguard LS 60 rather than individual shares but waiting on an IFA to come back with recommendations.

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 19th Jun 19, 8:34 AM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 28,120 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Conventional wisdom is that you would not want to be in 60% Equities once you are retired - 40 is normally the highest but the advantage with Vanguard is the passive tracker quality so it does not have a Strategy for sectors, just the FTSE 100.

I confess to being a bit more diversified - some European, some Global, some UK and in most cases, looking for either high dividend or a track record of growth combined with dividend. Rathbone is doing well (please don't let that be a kiss of death reference ).

It is all a bit new but I have been following the financial pages for years and frankly, should have done what I thought fifteen years ago, but I have always been afraid of debt (working class left-over, I think) so concentrated on that.
    My DFD is here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,161Posts Today

8,186Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin