Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milann
    • By milann 18th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    • 2,680Posts
    • 16,047Thanks
    milann
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way.......
    • 18th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    Milann's life keeps getting in the way....... 18th Jan 16 at 10:00 PM
    Been on these forums for some time now...........good intentions of being debt free and at target weight keep coming .....and going......and life just keeps getting in the way!!!

So it's time for a new diary to help keep me on track and push the excuses behind me and JUST DO IT....

My debt is down to 2,500 and if I'd have shaped myself I could have had it cleared but I didn't so I need to do that pronto......
    My car was written off in November so I need to do something about getting mobile again, I'm wary of getting a rust bucket as I've had money pits in the past but the cash the insurance company paid out will only get a heap again and I refuse to get finance till I've cleared off the 2 and a half grand.......

I've gone a bit (lot) mad and really splashed out on a weekend away for combined Christmas and birthday pressie for dh...... never paid so much to for a weekend away before but we're going to a concert. It's not until June so I have to save for that too.

SO this week I will
    1. Do storecupboard challenge
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Follow Slimming World plan to get back to target 6LB to go - then I don't need to pay

Wish me luck on this last leg..............
Page 1
    • milann
    • By milann 19th Jan 16, 7:33 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    • 19th Jan 16, 7:33 PM
    • 19th Jan 16, 7:33 PM
    NSD today - so far so good...
    I'd been given a scratch card in a Christmas card and won 1 on it - it has been lurking in my handbag and I kept forgetting to claim it - so I did it today and won 2 - decisions, decisions.......... do I go for 3rd time lucky and get another couple of scratch cards with my winnings or stash the cash in my sealed pot................ no idea how much I have in my pot - I put occasional loose change in it - but it must be 3/4 full - it's one of those you have to smash to count it though - only time I've saved and not been able to dib in - will go towards my spends for my weekend away in June
    • milann
    • By milann 20th Jan 16, 8:27 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    • 20th Jan 16, 8:27 PM
    • 20th Jan 16, 8:27 PM
    Spend 4.50 today - had early doctors appointment -7 a.m. - lol shock to the system and I called in the shop to buy a salad for lunch to take to work and some meat for the rest of the week. Wasn't planned but wasn't organised enough to have made lunch night before and no time if I was to get in work on time. Must do better.............

Food wise - rubbish rubbish rubbish.....................too many chocolates and biscuits at work. Weigh day tomorrow - doesn't bode well!
    • milann
    • By milann 21st Jan 16, 10:03 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    • 21st Jan 16, 10:03 PM
    • 21st Jan 16, 10:03 PM
    So much for eating from the freezer....... I ended up spending 35 as I wandered round the shops near SW killing time before group after work - nothing will be wasted - food for the freezer from nice butcher BUT I DIDN'T NEED IT!!
    Then 5 for slimming world where I'd put 1lb on....... there's a distinct lack of willpower surfacing here - need to do something about it.
    • milann
    • By milann 24th Jan 16, 8:17 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    • 24th Jan 16, 8:17 PM
    • 24th Jan 16, 8:17 PM
    Ended up spending another 30 this weekend on presents and cards - ds has a birthday this week and family member has a ruby wedding celebration.
    My good intentions of making overpayments to get rid of the loan just aren't happening............so I have made a monumental decision to take the bull by the horns and pull in all my cash from change jars, down the back of the sofa etc and pay the lot off next payday - I usually pay my cc off in full every month but for a 1 off I will pay the minimum payment. I've worked it out and want rid of the loan so I can start anew and do something about getting a car again. It will leave me with 100 for the month and I have 90 going out on direct debits - but sometimes I just need to take the bull by the horns and DO it............ So I will be inventive using what I have in the freezer, make my outings walking trips and visiting friends and if I do 'need' not 'want' anything use my cc and pay the full balance the following month - I've got 3 weeks until payday but that is my plan...............
    • milann
    • By milann 24th Jan 16, 8:28 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    • 24th Jan 16, 8:28 PM
    • 24th Jan 16, 8:28 PM
    Just checked my spending for the week and I've spent 75 - I needed very little of what I bought. This has made me think I'm defo doing the right thing paying off the loan next month even though it'll be a very lean month the month after.

Next week I will
    1. Knock Slimming World on the head - save a fiver
    2. Continue with spending diary
    3. ONLY but what I NEED - milk, veg and bread!!!!!!!!
    4. Close an internet bank account with 50 in - opened it several years ago but never been able to log onto it - need to sort it
    • milann
    • By milann 3rd Feb 16, 8:55 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    • 3rd Feb 16, 8:55 PM
    • 3rd Feb 16, 8:55 PM
    Its been a mad week or so - I've spent a fair old amount but stayed within what I expected to spend on close family members birthdays and anniversaries. Didn't stay within my planned lack of food shopping, but nothing has been wasted as my freezer is full - I know I can eat from it for about a month and if I want to pay off the loan on payday it's what I NEED to do. I DID close the account with 53.16 so that will offset the foody spends. I've also decided to give slimming world one last shot - I'm only half a stone away from target and then I won't need to pay.....so I've changed the day I go to group to a Monday so I don't blow it at weekend and think I have several days to get back on track.

So my to do list for this week
    1. Meal plan from freezer
    2. Keep my purse closed as many days as possible!!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Feb 16, 5:53 AM
    • 64,496 Posts
    • 287,763 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 4th Feb 16, 5:53 AM
    • 4th Feb 16, 5:53 AM
    Found you!
    Will read when next on laptop.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Feb 16, 3:26 PM
    • 64,496 Posts
    • 287,763 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 4th Feb 16, 3:26 PM
    • 4th Feb 16, 3:26 PM
    Good idea on paying off loan.
    A couple of lean months means nothing in comparison to that.
    Dr at 7am~~

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 4th Feb 16, 7:37 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    Hiya Beanie
    Yup 7am doctors appointment a couple of weeks ago - the waiting time to get appointments is about 2 weeks so they have 2 early mornings a week to help keep time as short as possible - suits me though if I'm at work - especially since I changed jobs in November and don't want to ask for time off. What isn't so good is when its school holidays and I forget and request an early appointment

Met friend from old job to catch up on the gossip after work and ended up going for a carvery which wasn't planned but with a better option than going in coffee shop where I'd have had latte and cake and the carvery is 5.99 mid week and bottomless soft drink 2.50 - so I had a lovely early evening and gorgeous food for 7.50...........annnnddddd - if I factor in friend picked me up from work and too me home after saving me 4.10 busfare - bargain and certainly more SW friendly than the latte and cake option.

BUT - carveries and outings will not get me a car...... I want it to be payday so I can put my plan into action - 11 days to go!!!!!!

No other spends today. DH ate from the freezer and my lunch is prepped all ready for tomorrow
    • milann
    • By milann 7th Feb 16, 7:37 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    Friday - spent 10 on fresh stuff
    Saturdyay - NSD
    Sunday - NSD

Feeling a bit better about finances and operation get a car this week - spent Saturday catching up on housework and went out for a nice walk between showers at NT place today - was treated to carvery for dinner.

Plan for next week
    - 5 NSDs
    - mealplan and stick to it
    work extra day on Friday - have the option whether to go in or not for training - 5 hours extra pay - so I'll go in
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 16, 8:09 PM
    • 64,496 Posts
    • 287,763 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 11th Feb 16, 5:18 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    Monday 23 Aldi/Morrisons
    Tuesday NSD
    Wednesday NSD
    Thursday NSD

Not working tomorrow though as been told training not suitable for our class, not to worry though I'm happy to have a day off.
    Walked home in the sunshine - hope it carries on next week for half term.....

Went to a different sw last Monday - I'd put 3 on.....went this week and lost it again........7 to go to get my target so I wont need to pay again. Feeling determined

Payday on Monday - will pay the loan off and start looking for a car I like ready to start again with another loan................ but at least I'll have paid the 1st one off - I'd have added to it at one time.......intend to overpay a bit each month and get rid of it asap
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 16, 7:19 PM
    • 64,496 Posts
    • 287,763 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your day off
    I am thinking I will never get back to target
    Happy car shopping~~what are you thinking?

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 6th Mar 16, 7:59 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    Life got in the way again.............AAARRRGGGHHHHHH........

I never got to pay my loan off as I started with toothache and 225 pounds later........... then dd and gdd ended up staying for a few days, which was really lovely but not good for the finances. SO I WILL PAY IT THIS MONTH - just need to wait for the 15th again.......

We have been really busy with one thing or another and I haven't had chance to get on here.............dh is 'babysitting' his mum at the moment - she is 94 and has had a really bad year and to be honest I really don't now how she is keeping on going, so I have a rare peaceful evening. I'm planning an early night with a cuppa and am going to watch the new doctor thorn or whatever its called at 9 o clock.

Beanie I've been looking at the Hyundai i10 but I've not made my final choice yet - I want a tardis basically!!!!! I want a small car with 5 doors that has a big enough boot for a buggy for when gdd stays. I want to be able to see the bonnet too - such a lot of cars seem to have high dashboards and the bonnets drop to nothing - so the hyundai has a seat you can raise to make it better............but once I've paid the loan and got another I'll look seriously. I could do with one tomorrow as since dh is staying over looking after his mum I'll have to walk to work - 45 minutes - no problem on the way home but I'm not a morning person and I don't like ice so not relishing the thought of tomorrow morning.

Night night - off to watch my programme
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Mar 16, 8:43 PM
    • 64,496 Posts
    • 287,763 Thanks
    beanielou
    Rather than than me to walk all that way.

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 7th Mar 16, 7:27 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    Walked about 10 minutes this morning and someone from work spotted me and pulled over giving me a lift - I was well chuffed lol - I as in work at 8 oclock, an hour early - although I aim to get in at half 8. Gave me chance to organize myself and earn a few brownie points......

I had a great evening last week. I'd gone to a fashion show in aid of a local children's hospice who have been fantastic with my friends family after the loss of her little girl. The clothes are really cheap although its a bit hit and miss what they have. Anyway I bought some raffle tickets and I won 50 to spend on the night - got a summer weight coat, a m&s cotton jumper and 2 tops should have been 63 BARGAIN at 13 and raffle prize.....then they pulled another of my tickets out and I won a meal for 2 at Gusto a local restaurant up to the value of 50..........I never win anything so bought a lottery ticket but should have saved my cash as my lucky streak stopped and I didn't even get a number.

I've given up on slimming world - annoyed with myself but I refuse to keep paying to be told I've put weight on.

Corrie is calling so off to put the kettle on and settle down to watch it.....
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Mar 16, 7:40 PM
    • 64,496 Posts
    • 287,763 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on your fantastic wins~~enjoy.

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 5th Apr 16, 4:04 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 16,047 Thanks
    milann
    Time flies by - I've had a throat infection from hell and lost my voice for best part of a couple of weeks - it decided to travel to my sinuses for good measure so I've been going to work and having early nights which seems like forever.....so not had chance to get on line.

I've finally done it - paid my loan off - in full - competely finished it - I can't believe it.............

Just got to pay my cc of 900 which I usually pay every month in full but only made minimum payments last couple of months to enable me to pay loan - then I'll be completely debt free - roll on payday then I can do it - LOL - I'll be totally broke but - DEBT FREE

Well I changed job in November - I knew I was taking a chance as it was a temporary contract - but it's the way schools work these days - I was on a temp contract for 5 years in my old job........ anyway the head called for all 14 staff on temp contracts and with cut backs the school has to reduce to 9 support staff on temporary contracts. We all have to re-apply for our jobs - I'm hoping they use it as a chance to sweep clean and get rid of the dead wood.....and not just use i as an exercise of last in first out - I'll know by the end of April. So I've decided not to do anything about a new car until I find out if I've still got a job in summer. At least if the worse happens - I'll have no debts and can hopefully go on the agency. I'm lucky to be in good(ish) health and the kids are grown up - I won't have cash to spare but it could be a heck of a lot worse - I will put my rose tinted glasses on and look on it as an opportunity............

We had one of those new gas and electric meters fitted yesterday and its quite scary how much leccy it uses when the kettle it switched on!!!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Apr 16, 4:43 PM
    • 64,496 Posts
    • 287,763 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear about the job but as you say that seems to be the way it is now.
    woo hoo to no loan.
    Roll on no CC

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,148Posts Today

6,921Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin