Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 10:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 10:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 10:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 2
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th Nov 14, 3:43 PM
    • 13,394 Posts
    • 183,469 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm not fueling a feud and I WILL NOT take sides in a disagreement so I'm not passing comment. This thread is for winter preparedness, it's a jolly useful tool in that field and has and will help many folks to cope with bad weather disruptions so for all our sakes let's push on with the prepping and keep to the spirit of this thread.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Crochet Teapot
    • By Crochet Teapot 26th Nov 14, 3:43 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    Crochet Teapot
    I've ordered and received quite a few Christmas presents and have even wrapped some of them. I'd like to order the rest by the end of this week. I'm not a massive fan of Christmas - I hate the consumerism and over indulgence. And also find it a little sad (my parents split up just before Xmas when I was a child). So I try to keep it simple and see it as a mid-winter celebration (I'm not religious).

A bit of snow/frost/sun would be nice. I hate rain which is all we seem to get here at the moment. It's quite slippery as there are loads of soggy leaves around at the moment.
    Last edited by Crochet Teapot; 26-11-2014 at 3:45 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th Nov 14, 4:06 PM
    • 13,394 Posts
    • 183,469 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi TEAPOT I always see the solstice as the pivot of the year, a time when all the resting things start to wake up and remember how to grow in the spring and as the days start to get lighter it feels like softly pressing the accelerator of life and gently easing the world into wakefulness after a much needed rest. The first little green stirrings make me very happy and give hope of summer warmth ahead don't they?

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 26th Nov 14, 4:08 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,554 Thanks
    mardatha
    MrsL, are you going to the christmas markets? I've been googling images of them. Passport needs renewed and we are not going to bother, so I won't be going - but it's nice to dream isnt it?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th Nov 14, 4:15 PM
    • 13,394 Posts
    • 183,469 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh YES we are!!!!! and the pictures only give you a tiny part of the whole there is the tingling cold, the sound of the music and people being happy, the delicious food aromas which make you hungry even when you're well fed. Then there is that wonderful part of the day as it begins to get dark and it gets even colder and the Weinachts Markts come alive again with the evening crowds. It's so good natured, family, and fun. My favourite market is the Marion Kirche Markt in Unter den Linden where they have a big wheel made of Gingerbread Houses and they have blankets in to put over your knees, it has a little outdoor ice rink and 3' high skating aids that are penguins for learners and a real live nativity under a thatched roof oh it's magic. Renew that passport my girl, it's something everyone should experience and enjoy!!!

• candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 26th Nov 14, 4:24 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 25,927 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Mar, I echo what Lyn has said/ Hmself and I went to Cologne and Bonn Christmas markets and it was a wonderful experience.

My goodness it was cold but the atmosphere was lovely, especially in the evening when families were enjoying thmselves and as Lyn says the smells of the different foods.

We brought back the most wonderful gingerbread house for our granddaughter, which wasn't easy, because we travelled by coach, and not a bit of it was broken.

You must go, if not this year, try for next, I am sure you will love it.

Candlelightx
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 26th Nov 14, 4:28 PM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 87,056 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Oh I love the idea of Xmas markets! I might not get to one this time, the children are still quite small and not really tolerant of crowds. The one nearest us does get very crowded. But I love the atmosphere, and of course the exotic treats

They were very disappointed not to get snow last year, and my youngest has been asking will it snow since they went back to school in September

I've a day at home tomorrow with the little one, so we are going to check through her footwear I think.

Would be good if we could leave the bickering on the old thread, please!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • Crochet Teapot
    • By Crochet Teapot 26th Nov 14, 4:36 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    Crochet Teapot
    Hi TEAPOT I always see the solstice as the pivot of the year, a time when all the resting things start to wake up and remember how to grow in the spring and as the days start to get lighter it feels like softly pressing the accelerator of life and gently easing the world into wakefulness after a much needed rest. The first little green stirrings make me very happy and give hope of summer warmth ahead don't they?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    What a lovely way to put it...yes absolutely
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 26th Nov 14, 4:43 PM
    • 5,543 Posts
    • 81,202 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Ooh a new thread - I might join, rather than lurk.

Mrs LW - Berlin sounds "wunderbar" I walked through the Birmingham christmas market on Monday and you can't help but feel festive - even if you don't want to yet. I may treat myself to a couple of tree decorations (my collecting hobby, usually from holidays but i have only got one new one this year )

My cupboard is getting fairly stocked - the local shop had 5 large cans of Hinz Beenz today for 2 which seemed a reasonable deal. I have coats, gloves, hats, fleeces and fleecey blankets.

We have one window - the dining room - which is just vertical blinds and can be a very cold spot - there is nowhere to hang a curtain but I do keep pondering what to do. it is double glazed but still can be brisk if you are sat there. It is a wide span for a sprung pole in the recess with anything but the flimsiest curtain, I'd rather like a window quilt in there but i can't think how to carry the weight. :-/
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • grandmasam
    • By grandmasam 26th Nov 14, 4:46 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 5,589 Thanks
    grandmasam
    My christmas starts when I visit family in Essen and most evenings are spent at the 'big' weinachtsmarkt in the city and the smaller one in the area close to where they live. As MrsLW says the sounds, smells of gingerbread and spicy gluwien , the decorated trees, especially those whose leaves have gone , in the squares, is magical for me!!
    The crisp cold air is invigorating, and I have learnt a lot from my german ddil about winter preps and dressing for warmth. Although they don't have the cold damp and wet snow we have here.
    As my contribution to winter prepping, I love my wool duvet, and hand knitted socks...[must knit more! ]
    Caz
    Saving for another hound
    from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 1211, SPC 8 1027 SPC 7 937.24, SPC 6 973.4 SPC 5 1949, SPC 4 904.67 SPC 4 980.27
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 26th Nov 14, 5:37 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    I'd really love a cup of tea when I get in in the evenings as there's nothing quite as nice as a lovely warm drink on a cold evening.

But if I have tea then I'll never sleep as my sleep patterns are bad enough as it is. Can't have herbal tea because it all tastes like wet cardboard to me.

I must say that in this weather one of the most simple pleasures is a nice hot water bottle. I deliberately let my feet get cold in the 10 minutes before I go to bed JUST so it feels extra nice. I hope I'm not the only one that does this
    • fiftyeighter
    • By fiftyeighter 26th Nov 14, 5:39 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    fiftyeighter
    Oh Mrs Lurchwalker you are lovely and such a caring peace maker. Thank you.
    I must admit I secretly love the snow but understand it's not good for everyone. Anyway I get pleasure from prepping even if I get laughed at by my 19 yr old daughter, but only in a jokey way.
    I listen to everyone's views. I'm bad really I can never make my mind up. I just see every ones opinion. Oh well I'll never really end up in an argument will ? Lol.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th Nov 14, 5:44 PM
    • 13,394 Posts
    • 183,469 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've just had one of those little notices through the door with the telephone number to contact in event of a power cut and our supplier is Scottish and Southern Energy. I guess there is a level of uncertainty about the amount of electricity that will be available in the colder months particularly if we do get a really cold snap so all the energy suppliers are putting out these flyers, it's not necessarily a forerunner of gloom and doom, just a precautionary measure perhaps?

Hi FIFTYEIGHTER everyone laughs at me and I don't mind in the least, I know they'll come if they need something in times of trouble and I know they know I'll help. It's good to have enough that for anyone in need there will always be a little to give, life's much too short to worry about what folks think and sometimes actions really do speak louder than a thousand words petal!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 26-11-2014 at 5:47 PM.

• CH27
    Ooh a new thread - I might join, rather than lurk.

Mrs LW - Berlin sounds "wunderbar" I walked through the Birmingham christmas market on Monday and you can't help but feel festive - even if you don't want to yet. I may treat myself to a couple of tree decorations (my collecting hobby, usually from holidays but i have only got one new one this year )

My cupboard is getting fairly stocked - the local shop had 5 large cans of Hinz Beenz today for 2 which seemed a reasonable deal. I have coats, gloves, hats, fleeces and fleecey blankets.

We have one window - the dining room - which is just vertical blinds and can be a very cold spot - there is nowhere to hang a curtain but I do keep pondering what to do. it is double glazed but still can be brisk if you are sat there. It is a wide span for a sprung pole in the recess with anything but the flimsiest curtain, I'd rather like a window quilt in there but i can't think how to carry the weight. :-/
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Could you attach a curtain pole to the ceiling?http://www.diy.com/search/results/?question=ceiling+hook
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
    • Brambleberry
    • By Brambleberry 26th Nov 14, 7:00 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    Brambleberry
    Hi I might join rather than lurking too.
    In my winter preps kit are 6 snow shovels and two strong spades, they were all needed in 2010/11! Load of logs delivered yesterday, new fuel cobbles coming on Friday
    I need to get my uht milk stash in and top up the chocolate reserve tank - will work on the groceries list...
    Mortgage Free Oct 2018
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 26th Nov 14, 7:07 PM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 87,056 Thanks
    bossymoo
    I'd really love a cup of tea when I get in in the evenings as there's nothing quite as nice as a lovely warm drink on a cold evening.

But if I have tea then I'll never sleep as my sleep patterns are bad enough as it is. Can't have herbal tea because it all tastes like wet cardboard to me.

I must say that in this weather one of the most simple pleasures is a nice hot water bottle. I deliberately let my feet get cold in the 10 minutes before I go to bed JUST so it feels extra nice. I hope I'm not the only one that does this
    Originally posted by BritishBibliophile
    Have you tried decaf tea? I keep some in for MIL as she has irritable bladder so avoids caffeine. So when I make her a brew, I (because I'm lazy) use the same tea caddy for mine, and I really can't tell the difference.
    I also used to drink rooibos (sp?) aka redbush tea which is naturally caffeine free. I'm not a fan of herbal either but this stuff is ok (although I did put a sweetener in which I wouldn't for normal tea) and it's just fine with a splash of milk.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 26th Nov 14, 7:56 PM
    • 5,543 Posts
    • 81,202 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I drink rooibos all the time. i can't drink ordinary tea now - it's too tea-y
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 26th Nov 14, 8:02 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    I have been considering trying decaf tea for the evenings. I dislike spending money on "new" things in case I have one taste and hate it (spent 2.50 on posh camomile tea teabags and regretted it after the first sip of the first mug, haven't touched them since XD). It's nice to know you can't tell the difference, I think I'll sort out trying some in the New Year!
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 26th Nov 14, 8:29 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    pandamonium
    I have been considering trying decaf tea for the evenings. I dislike spending money on "new" things in case I have one taste and hate it (spent 2.50 on posh camomile tea teabags and regretted it after the first sip of the first mug, haven't touched them since XD). It's nice to know you can't tell the difference, I think I'll sort out trying some in the New Year!
    Originally posted by BritishBibliophile
    Another vote for red bush tea here. I have graduated from M & S decaf tea bags, which honestly taste just like ordinary ones.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 27th Nov 14, 8:01 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    Doveling
    Just seen a reminder about the Warm Home scheme. Don't forget to apply if you think you may be eligible - they can only say yes or no can't they.
    Last edited by Doveling; 27-11-2014 at 8:13 AM. Reason: put front instead of home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

966Posts Today

7,254Users online

Martin's Twitter