Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 9
  • tandraig
    I love sweet potato mashed or cooked with ordinary potatoes and mashed in.
    but if i am doing a sunday roast then i like the sweet potato roasted.
    my carrots i boil as normal but add about a half teaspoon of sugar to the salted water - you can reduce the salt a bit if you do this, then towards the end of cooking add a small knob of butter. i add pepper at the table as not everyone likes it.
  • motherhen2234
    I find mashed with a little butter, salt, pepper and a bit of chili works well. But I tend to steam sweet potatoes rather than boil them as they cook quicker than normal potatoes and seem to soak up more water. Steaming makes for a better mash (less sloppy)
    2013 Free Money - 363.44 Topcashback
    2014 Free Money - 59.84 Topcashback
    2015 Free Money (so far) - 186.33 Topcashback
  • katholicos
    It's great roasted. If you have some other root vegetables you could throw them in the roasting tray with some chunks of sweet potatoe and some potatoes for roasting. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • ragz
    • By ragz 14th Mar 10, 7:30 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    I have my sweet potato roasted and I serve my carrots slow cooked with onions and a little sugar and cinnamon. Yummy!
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 14th Mar 10, 11:09 AM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    hi Shazspice

I must confess to not eating enough Sweet potatoes, but i do hope to make soup with them soon. Now you have plenty of ideas, I'll add your thread to the existing one on Sweet potatoes, to keep the ideas together

Regards carrots, they are nice done sweet (something like this ).

Another old favourite in our house is good old hearty mashed carrots
    thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin