Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
    • liney
    • By liney 28th Aug 06, 6:19 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 8,248 Thanks
    liney
    Mash sweet potatoe with a little olive oil, then add some gently fried garlic and chilli to taste. It is really nice with steak.
    • domestic goddess
    • By domestic goddess 3rd Jan 07, 2:19 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 2,266 Thanks
    domestic goddess
    Sweet potato
    I have a sweet potato that I have just bought from Tesco's. I have never tried one before so i thought i would have a go.

What do i do with it?

Thanks
    Learning to live a more frugal lifestyle with my family
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 3rd Jan 07, 2:29 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    Hi SoHNM

Although sweet potatoes are not actually potatoes (they are a member of the bindweed family!), you can still use them in a similar way.

I love roasted sweet potato. Peel, cut into thickish slices, and then add to a smidgeon of hot fat in a very hot oven (Gas 7, 220 deg).

I also love them baked - just as you would a normal baked potato. The texture is usually quite smooth and sweet, lovely with a little bit of butter.

Mashing also works well, but in this case don't expect it to be like mashed potato. It's much smoother and sweeter.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with more tips.
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 3rd Jan 07, 2:33 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Peel, chop into chunks and add to a curry. Yum.

Peel, chop into 2 inch chunks, peel a red onion and chop into 1 inch chunks spray with olive oil and roast in the oven. Yum yum. Wish I had some in the cupboard now...!

They cook quicker than normal potato by the way!

I did mash them and put on a shepherds pie but think it would have been better mixed in with potato too as it was a bit too sweet and slushy on s/pie for me.

DMP support thread (member #32)

• rach
    agree with the above. i also find it great in soups. in fact i'm going to make squash, carrot and sweet potato soup for tea!

you can slso thinly slice and deep fry to make crisps (though not as healthy of course!)

i find if baking they don't need as long to cook as normal potatoes.
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 3rd Jan 07, 2:39 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I love sweet potato - all the above, but also try mashing 3 - 4 of them with a teaspoon of whole grain mustard and a large tablespoon of double cream - delicious!!!!
  • Bexstars
    This is my fave recipie for sweet potato

Braised beef & sweet potato

1 leek
    20g butter
    100g brasing steak or lamb cut into cubes
    2 tbsp flour
    275g sweet potato peeled & chopped
    300ml stock
    juice of 1 orange

Softern the leek in the butter. roll the meat in the flour and add tot he leek to brown. add the sweet potato, sotck and orange juice. bring to the boil, cover and transfer to an oven at 180 for an hour and half. Yummy!

You could also put anything else in there you fancy but I have it like that
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 3rd Jan 07, 2:44 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I love sweet potato - all the above, but also try mashing 3 - 4 of them with a teaspoon of whole grain mustard and a large tablespoon of double cream - delicious!!!!

Sorry its posted twice - im blaming the server being slow, didnt think it had posted so pressed reply again!!!!!
  • Snich
    Sweet potato wedges:

Pre-heat oven to 160deg C ish
    Cut into wedge shapes (as close as possible )
    Put in mixing bowl
    Add a glug of olive oil (or any other oil you have handy)
    Add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic
    Sprinkle a little chilli powder/fresh chilli according to taste

Shake it up in the bowl

Put on baking tray and bake for 30mins.

Can also use some paprika or ginger depending on what's in the fridge.
    Same recipe also does potato wedges but they need 35 - 40minutes.

Yummy in my Tummy!

(PS If I make sweet potato mash, I do half normal potato and half sweet potato, cause I prefer the texture)
    Enjoy. Snich x
    Proud to be Dealing with my Debts
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 3rd Jan 07, 3:29 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    Snich, those wedges sound lovely.

I think I'll have to try them now!
    Last edited by dannahaz; 03-01-2007 at 3:46 PM.
    • pinkparrott
    • By pinkparrott 3rd Jan 07, 4:37 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    pinkparrott
    Hi i love sweet potatoe, and my fav recipie is :
    cut into smallish squares and roast with 2-3 cloves of garlic and some olive oil for about 40 mins or untill soft then crumble up some soft goats cheese (i use the log type) i use about 100g to 1-1/2 lbs of potatoes and mash together roughly witha folk, and add a bit of lemon juice and black pepper to taste !yummmmmmmmmmmm! just recently discovered this and am eating it all the time!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 3rd Jan 07, 4:50 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi sickofhavingnomoney,

We have an older thread with lots of ideas for using sweet potatoes that should give you some more ideas so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • jinky67
    help needed
    please anybody got ideas for sweet potatoes
    • mustafa say ving
    • By mustafa say ving 14th Feb 07, 3:05 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    mustafa say ving
    My girl's like them baked with lashings of butter.

They work really well roasted with other root veggies .
    "Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into someone else's nonsense, tell yourself: Not my circus, not my monkeys." - Mark Borkowski.
  • loren83
    Sweet potato wedges are sooooo good! I haven't had them in ages *puts on the shopping list for next week* I love them dipped in garlic mayo.
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 14th Feb 07, 3:25 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    organic wanabe
    I sometimes make a spicy sweet potato soup. I can dig out the recipe if you would like it.
  • saxy1
    mashed with garlic and black pepper.
  • hk_chick
    They're nice peeled & put raw into a salad

(baking is def. a good idea too!)
  • TKP
    Cube sweet potato, cube butternut, drizzle some olive oil over and roast... yummy
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate!
    • skintlass
    • By skintlass 14th Feb 07, 3:39 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    skintlass
    stirfried sweet potatoes, green beans and pork (was lamb in the recipe but I hate lamb) with blackbean sauce. Had it last night and it was yummy. It was on Saturday kitchen and the recipe is on the bbc website under the food and saturday kitchen bit
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,965Posts Today

7,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin