Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 20th Oct 05, 1:51 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    There are some weird and wonderful colours of veg out there if you can find them. I've had a pink cauliflower - goes purple when cooked, tastes the same but adds a splash of colout to your plate.

Carrots were originally purple I believe and over the years they have been engineered so that we get orange ones, which is what we think they should be. I believe you can get other colours of carrot too. Maybe we should start asking for the original veg as nature intended I'm sure Mr Tesco wouldn't deliver - unless he charged an absolute fortune for them. BTW - the pink caulis were from Morrisons and were slightly more expensive.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 20th Oct 05, 2:42 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Ooooooo I love purple so how funky would that be to have purple carrots, cauli and potatoes on your plate for dinner ... and they would match the plates too as they're a purpley maroon colour!!!

I had a green cauli in my organic box the other week and it was lovely!

Just remembered the "proper" colour of the plates - Amethyst!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Liney
    Sweet Potato Mash
    When doing sweet potato mash try adding a pinch of ground nutmeg in at the end with your butter and stir it in, it really does make a difference to the taste, its delicious. Goes really well with the Pork Chops I cook for my hubby.

Enjoy!
    Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment!
    • Threadhead
    • By Threadhead 20th Oct 05, 9:12 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Threadhead
    Oh please - mercy!!!! Dont start about the purple carrots!

Everytime we are at my parents house for a meal and we get carrots - OH starts off on this big long drawn out story about how carrots were originally purple and they changed the colour to honour william of orange.....

(dont quote me on ANY of this; usually lose interest in the first 2 seconds)
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 25th Oct 05, 11:39 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    just to let you know guys that i got some sweet potatoes from the green grocer at the weekend, a bargain at 56p for 2 big ones.

Unfortubnately, i roasted them for sunday dinner and neither myself or my b/f like them they are just too sweet for my liking, it was as if i'd sprinkled me spuds with sugar

So thanks for the advise about them but i think i'll be giving them a wide berth from now on.

but at least we tried them, and so did my b/f which actually is some sort of miracle
  • starlite
    Just to add - sweet potato salad is really good, with mayo, lemon juice, lettuce, onion and walnuts...yummm

i'll have to try some of these suggestions as we never get them crispy when we roast them.
  • finc
    Sweet Potatoes
    Hi, I bought some sweet potatoes as they were on offer in Asda but I don't know what to do with them. I've only ever used them for making baby meals but want something a bit more grown up.

I don't like mash so don't want to do that. We're having some beef stew (from the freezer after cooking my cheapo stewing steak in the SC ) and though about slicing them and putting them on top to make a crust type topping. I'm not sure the texture is right and if they'll go crispy enough.

Any ideas please :confused:
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 5th Apr 06, 12:18 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I love sweet potatoes, i often cut them into large cubes, drizzle with a little olive oil and roast in the oven. I also add to my stews, cut into smallish cubes just like the other veg i use. Ive also mashed it with butter and pepper and used instead of mashed potato on cottage and fish pies, and just mashed instead of mashed potato as well!!!!
    They are just like normal potatoes, but i do find they cook quicker, and do go a bit more mushy, but they are delicious!!!
    • cha97michelle
    • By cha97michelle 5th Apr 06, 12:28 PM
    • 5,620 Posts
    • 67,619 Thanks
    cha97michelle
    Do anything you would with a normal potato, bearing in mind that they cook a lot quicker. USually to make them a bit crispier, eg as jacket potstoes, i will part cook in the microwave and then brush with olive oil continuing cooking in the oven.

They are absolutely delicious however you cook them i have always found.
    • Wickedkitten
    • By Wickedkitten 5th Apr 06, 12:29 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    Wickedkitten
    sweet potato pie
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 5th Apr 06, 12:32 PM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    I add them to casseroles - they add a nice flavour and texture and make the casserole more filling.

I often make mash with a mixture of sweet potato and ordinary white potato, and in the past my mum has done a mixed plate of roast potatoes for Christmas dinner.

They apparently make good soups but I haven't tried.

I mentioned on a thread a while ago that a local lunch takeaway place near my office (v. foodie bit of London, near Borough Market) sometimes does a baked sweet potato (in its skin) stuffed with spiced feta cheese. Not sure what spices :confused: but it's delicious. They serve it on a bed of rocket. Just wish they didn't charge 5 a time for it
    Operation Get in Shape
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • finc
    I love sweet potatoes, i often cut them into large cubes, drizzle with a little olive oil and roast in the oven.
    by catowen
    Mmmm think I'll do this. I had it in my head to do a potato slice crust on the beef stew but I thought they'd be too mushy for this. I'll just do them on the side instead

Thanks for the other ideas but I can't stand mashed anything. I decided when I was about 7 that it'd already been chewed and I've never been able to eat it since.
  • finc
    I mentioned on a thread a while ago that a local lunch takeaway place near my office (v. foodie bit of London, near Borough Market) sometimes does a baked sweet potato (in its skin) stuffed with spiced feta cheese. Not sure what spices :confused: but it's delicious. They serve it on a bed of rocket. Just wish they didn't charge 5 a time for it
    by Bargain Rzl
    That sounds gorgeous. I've bought loads of them so I'll do this another day.
    • otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 5th Apr 06, 12:47 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    Hi there,
    I love sweet potatoes and often make potato wedges with them just like with ordinary potatoes. Or I do half ordinary potatoes and half sweet potato wedges. Just slice into wedges, coat in oil and any spices you like (i like chilli powder/cumin/coriander/cajun spice any of those) and bake in oven. They seem to go particularly well with fried egg.....egg and chips! MMMmmmmmmmm!
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
  • Wendrie
    You can mash them up with a bit of butter, cumin, garlic etc. and add a tin of black beans and use them to make vegetarian tortillas - dollup of sour cream and some salad. Yum!

We eat a lot of sweet potatoes here too
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 5th Apr 06, 4:23 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 5,370 Thanks
    pawpurrs
    My favourite ways with sweet potatoes are,
    Wedges done in the oven with some cayenne pepper. Mashed with olive oil and freshly grated ginger, its yummy even if you dont like regular mash. IN curry, i do lentil and sweet potato.

If you wanted to incoporate it into beef, its nice grated on top, lower fat than mash and because the strands are so small it goes lovely and crispy, great with regular potatoes too.
  • Queenie
    Sweet potato wedges Yes, they do cook quicker and can go a bit "dry" if left too long

Sweet potato jackets are also really scrummy.

Rosti is also really lovely made with sweet potatoes.

Some sweet potatoes are a gorgeous orangey coloured flesh but others are a pale creamy coloured flesh. The orangey flesh coloured ones I find to be more tender and slightly stringier than the pale flesh coloured ones.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • apple_mint
    I love them cubed and thrown in a roasting tray with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil ... roasted and served with something like salmon or a pork chop ..... yum
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
  • ladygrey
    I saw a lovely sounding recipe on here for sweet potatos a couple of weeks ago but can't find it now
  • finc
    Well I did the cubed and raosted thing with the beef stew and they were yummy. Only my 2 year old didn't eat them but he's a funny eater and doesn't count!

Thanks for all your ideas, I'm trying the baked one with feta cheese next
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,676Posts Today

8,251Users online

Martin's Twitter