Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 165
  • rosieben
    Well done to the GC'ers who came within or close to budget

Anyone who didn't make it (like me ) remember February is a sparkly new month

February thread is here
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 2nd Feb 12, 3:01 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Chloris
    Well done to the GC'ers who came within or close to budget

Anyone who didn't make it (like me ) remember February is a sparkly new month
    Originally posted by rosieben
    I echo rosieben sentiments!

I finished on 356.31 so pretty close. I should have been under but I did a classic go into supermarket for loo rolls and come out 20 quid lighter. x
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 2nd Feb 12, 3:23 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    I think I was a bit ambitious with the budget for January, as I've gone a bit over, just added up total and declaring at 67.46. Oh well, February is another month, lol!
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• aprilshower
    • By aprilshower 2nd Feb 12, 4:29 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    aprilshower
    Hi Everybody

Well my total for January is 175.50 which was in my budget of 200.

On to February now, so think I am going to have the same budget of 200.

Aprilshower
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 2nd Feb 12, 4:51 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    At last I am learning my total for the month was 139.79 instead of the 200 I had said but didn't save any money as we treated ourselves to pictures on night ( 13), had my hair done - twice (42) as not been near a hairdresser for years so had it restyled but barely cut and then we went to annual meal with hubbys county team, something we cannot usually afford and had my hair done again. No extras from Feb onwards though
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 119.12/2012-? Save 12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
  • MumOf2Beasties
    Result!!!
    Declaring at 176.35 for Jan!!!!

an underspend of 43.65 i am beyond happy that it's finally fallen into place!

I think the biggest help has been spending a little more on getting a larger chicken or pork joint and using it for a few meals. I also buy mince beef on three packs for 10, each pack splits into 3, and each third is bulked out with veg to make two meals (usually a spag bol and a lasagne!!

Am going to reduce my feb budget to 200, am keeping it higher than jan's GC as im not entirely sure how i've shaved off sooo much and don't trust myself to be able to do it again

Off over to the Feb GC now....see you all there
    1 adult, 3 children-Newborn and ages 4 & 6, 1 rabbit
    budget of 250 is for food, toiletries, nappies, wipes, cleaning/washing products and pet supplies (litter, sawdust, food)
  • mumwithamission
    Hello - really out of touch - looking forward to catching up with last few days of thread. Need to declare final Jan spending, when I've worked it out - so back later, when I've done the jobs everyone else expects me to do!

• artypaws
    • By artypaws 3rd Feb 12, 4:02 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 46,250 Thanks
    artypaws
    Last day of my January budget today and I am really pleased with my total - this is the first month of budgeting and I came in over budget slightly at 422.87 - I would normally supplement the budget with 30 to 40 each week and am so pleased I haven't had to do this - I have also started the 2nd purse challenge and have been batch cooking and have quite a few meals in the freezer. Will pop over to the Feb thread and declare Febs budget later today
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 4th Feb 12, 8:42 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Morning all

I've unstuck the thread now that it's fairly quiet. You can always find it by using the link in the latest current Grocery Challenge sticky if you need it.

Always remember - don't get upset for yourself if you didn't make your target - pat yourself on the back for the things that you DID
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • mommyof4
    • By mommyof4 4th Feb 12, 1:09 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 2,271 Thanks
    mommyof4
    Hi everyone not been on in ages, so busy. However, had to pop in to admit and GROSS failing..... total for January was.....530! how did I get it so wrong? wish we had a cheap supermarket nearby. Everything costs so much
    (vegetarian & vegan family: me, DH, DS11 & DS 7, 3 dogs and 3 cats (not veggie )
    Sealed pot challenge No 020
    challenge 5: [part 2] 426.09!!
    challenge 6: 272.14
    challenge 7: (target 500)
    Dont forget the birds - feed them your scraps
    • Mrs Veg Plot
    • By Mrs Veg Plot 4th Feb 12, 7:23 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 11,501 Thanks
    Mrs Veg Plot
    First shop of the Feb budget and went totally overboard as it came in at 107.91 (aim to spend 85 or less). Did buy store cupboard extras, pizza, 2 bottles of wineand some luxury ice cream that were not planned. The pizza, icecream and wine were to celebrate OH getting a job. Need to be very careful for the rest of the month.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order .
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 5th Feb 12, 7:46 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Just totted up January spends and am declaring at 96.12 out of a 125 budget

See you all on the Feb board x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 5th Feb 12, 8:25 AM
    • 13,822 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Hi everyone not been on in ages, so busy. However, had to pop in to admit and GROSS failing..... total for January was.....530! how did I get it so wrong? wish we had a cheap supermarket nearby. Everything costs so much
    Originally posted by mommyof4
    Which SM do you have? Can you shop online at a cheaper one? What have you got that you can get to? Don't beat yourself up, just start again and see how you go. Have you spent less than you would have done if you hadn't been on the GC?

First shop of the Feb budget and went totally overboard as it came in at 107.91 (aim to spend 85 or less). Did buy store cupboard extras, pizza, 2 bottles of wineand some luxury ice cream that were not planned. The pizza, icecream and wine were to celebrate OH getting a job. Need to be very careful for the rest of the month.
    Originally posted by Mrs Veg Plot
    Congratulations to Mr Veg Plot on his new job YAY!!!
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rosieben
    Originally posted by mommyof4
    Please don't be disheartened, just give yourself credit for trying to make a change for the better and remember February is a whole new start!

I don't have any sm's here and it is more difficult. Can you look at your spends and figure out where the extra money went?

I realise the thread is huge at the moment and RL gets in the way but I think it helps if you can come here and read even some of the posts; it really helps me to stay focused.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • bikelesschick
    Just stopping by to declare 108.75 for January so did quite well really.

Mrs Veg Plot - congrats to OH on new job

mommyof4
    - please don't beat yourself up for getting it wrong. I think most of us do at one time or another
    Baby girl born 3rd October 2012
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,831Posts Today

6,843Users online

Martin's Twitter